Sydney, Nova Scotia Tour Question Please!!!

Has anyone that has done the New York to Canada Cruises ever use Tartan Tours in Sydney for the Louisbourg, Fortess Tour?

Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Victory New York to Canada 09/25/2004 Cruise

Victory Cruise New York to Halifax

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

***So Glad To Be Back Cruise Again

Ship.gif Carnival Victory New York to Canada

Marcyjane: we did ship tour which was awful in terms of NO TIME at the fortress. If Tartan does hte tour and gives you at least 3 hours at the fortress I'd go for it. Where did you find them? You can always check with Sydney CVB if you have any questions re their length in business. etc. Anything has to be better than the ship tour there. We will go back to Louisbourg when we return since we had a measley 1.25 hours which isn't even time to see it all much less take advantage of all hte wonderful displays, interactive stuff and that divine smelling bakery icon_smile.gif

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Host Caroline,

I was searching on the web the other night after many months and time and finally got a hit.

web address is:http://www.atyp.com/tartantours/index.html

There were not prices for the tours listed so I had to email them: tartantours@hotmail.com

A lady named Diane emailed me back and said the private tour in a cadillac would be about 3 1/2 to 4 hours for $75.00 per person. Wasn't sure but thought is might be a little high. What do you think?

If we do this will the shops close to the pier still be open for shopping when we get back before boarding the ship?

I told her that I would email her on Monday and let her know for sure. I wanted to post here on the board and see if anyone had used them.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Host Caroline,

This is about Nova Scotia, but wanted to ask you since you've done this cruise to Cananda.

I keep reading on the boards that the ship is always late to Boston. I know in September it will be getting darker quicker and do you know how much daylight time we will have there.

Just want to hit the highlights, like the church, pauls house and etc. Also if the ship so late most say around 3:30, this means "No" dining in the dining room onboard that night with early seating, "Right"???

Thanks

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Marcyjane: the price they are charging at Tartan.. does it include admission to the fortress? I would ask how long you are actually AT the fort.. need 2.5-3 hours IMHO and it's maybe 20 minute drive? The people at the "craft fair" near the dock were there till sailing.. had some great books etc. by locals, homemade jams etc.. "small town America gone north"icon_smile.gif

Boston.. we were docked right ac. from airport and watched all the flights landing and taking off at night.. very kewl. It got dark around 6:30-7???/ I would say best bet is trolley-type thing on your own into town. I have no idea why ship is always late but it's a pain in the tush to waste such a great port call. They had dining room open but also the buffet upstairs, pizza, deli etc... plenty to eat and always room service.. Can't recall if dinner was open seating or not though since we didn't go (had pizza on deck watching planes etc.) Harbor's lovely at night.

Host Caroline

Host Caroline,

No it doesn't cover the cost of the Louisbourg Village.

It is a private tour and your right they said, about 1/2 there 1/2 back and 4 hours there.

Ok back to Boston, I'm having problems finding out if the Trolley company trolley's are at the pier.

Thanks,

marcyjane

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Hi marcyjane,

The Black Falcon terminal is not a usual stop for the trolley tours. Very likely, the only trolleys that will be at the pier are the ones that have been reserved through the cruise line.

Normally, you can get off and on the trolleys at designated stops in Boston. I don't know if that will be the case on the ship tour. Do you want to be able to get off and tour the sites you mentioned, or will seeing them from the trolley suffice?

Lisa63

Looking forward to Maasdam Canada/New England 2004

Just my two cents on the Boston thing - I will be on that same cruise a week later than you and have discovered that all of the "attractions" such as the Paul Revere House and such will be closed by the time we can make it to any of them. If our ship comes in at 3:00 like it says it does, we wont get off until about 4:00 I am guessing and most of the places on Freedom Trail close at 4:15. So, being able to get off the trolly wont really do you any good anyway.

We will be taking the Duck Tour rather than a trolly tour. I called the vistors center in Boston and was told that that time of day on a Sunday, the cab fare to where the Duck Tour departs should be no more than 15 bucks. Its a 90 minute tour. We will then be doing the trolly tour in Portland since many of them depart very close to the cruise terminal.

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Lisa and mirrajay,

Well we would like to get off and on just to be able to take some photo's, but it seem that no matter what, we're not going to have a lot of daylight left when we dock in Boston.

This port has so much history it's just a shame to miss it.

On the duck tour I've read where a lot of people have done the tour and/or are going to.

I just wasn't sure how many site of history, interest it went by.

Well, still have a few months to decide what to do in Boston.

Already have Portland and Syndey and Halifax covered. Tours small or private tours.

Portland with oceanview tours, highlights and Kenn B (Bush Home) Syndey with Tartan Tours to Louisbourg Fortessand Halifax with Aberdeen Tours to Peggy cove

Thanks for all the info.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcyjane:

Host Caroline,

.Ok back to Boston, I'm having problems finding out if the Trolley company trolley's are at the pier.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Trolley-type vehicle at the end of the pier was not the "trolley" used for the tour in Boston near Freedom Trail. Sorry for the confusion there. A lot of things do close in Boston by around 5:00 on Sunday so a late arrival will not do you any good unless you want to go downtown and have dinner, take harbor cruise etc.

Host Caroline

Host Caroline,

Then, do you say that you would do the Duck Tour ? Can you do that one on your own, or would you suggest book ship tour?

Also to the Tartan Tours question before, No it doesn't include the addmission to the Fortess, I have to let these people know pretty soon, so do you think the $75.00 is to high. Did you go to there web site???

Thanks

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

You can do the Duck Tour on your own. You can even make advanced reservations on their website (5 days in advance only).

The ship offers it, but from what I have been able to find out, its twice as expensive!

Its been suggested to me to take the tour that leave from the Prudential Center rather than the other departure point. Not sure why, but thats what a native Bostonian told me. icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

mirrajay,

Do you know how far it is the the Prudential Center for the Duck Tour? Do they not offer to pick you up at the pier? I guess we would have to get transporation to the tour start site.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

There is no public transportation from the Terminal to the Prudential Center. The closest subway stop is a good distance away. We plan on just getting a cab so that we dont waste any of the precious time that we have trying to walk to the subway stop or trying to figure out the bus system. I was told by the a lady at the Tourist Center that the cab right should only be about $15 max from the Terminal to the Prudential Center. Its only about 10 mins away by car. Apparently, taxis line up at the Terminal, so there shouldnt be a problem getting one or having to call one to come get you. Then from there, you can hop on the subway and go up to Fanueil Hall and at least SEE the Paul Revere House and some of the other things that are up that way. Then, we plan to just take a cab back to the cruise terminal. It really is a shame that we get into boston so late especially on a Sunday. If you want to figure out the subway system, the website www.mbta.com allows you to put in a starting address and a ending address and it tells you exactly what train to get on and when to change trains if necessary.

Seabee,

They told me that they would accept US cash.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

• 11 years later...

Diane ripped us off. In her email, Dianne promised a 4 hr tour of the Fortress at Louisbourg. Instead Dianne basically provided taxi service, dropping us off, then picking us up 2 hrs later. For this 80 minute trip we were charged $250!!!!! We tried to get a refund for some of the charges but she refused. I have traveled many places and on many cruises. This is the first time I have felt so taken. Advantage of. Shame on Dianne and her Tartan Tours.

Archived