Transatlantic Conditions

johnb24

What will the weather and sea condition be like in mid March for a Transatlantic crossing from Ft Lauderdale via Bermuda via the Canary Islands via Lisbon to Southampton? Any help or ideas for ports also welcome. Thanks!

You're probably also on Millennium's transatlantic leaving on March 18, as we are.

Tenerife, the port on March 27th, should be having wonderful late spring weather, perhaps in the 80s. (We're here now and have been experiencing weather up to 90° for the past 4 weeks, much warmer than usual for this time of year.) I can imagine that Madeira and Lisbon will be similar, perhaps a bit cooler.

If you'd like to meet some fellow passengers, come on over to our roll-call. It seems to be a very congenial group up to now, and we're looking to having more join us before Sailaway.

Thanks Sharon! We will join that group and the insights are helpful. I expected cooler weather. Have you sailed the across the Atlantic at this time of year? When we dock in Southampton we will go on to Paris for a week and we expect cooler weather but we will pack acordingly.

johnb24,

What will the weather and sea condition be like in mid March for a Transatlantic crossing from Ft Lauderdale via Bermuda via the Canary Islands via Lisbon to Southampton? Any help or ideas for ports also welcome. Thanks!

The route is southerly enough so the westher should be quite pleasant, though it might be a tad cool for sunbathing and for use of the pools and spas on the weatherdecks.

Norm.

JohnB24: Reminds me of the classic folk song from the '50s, by the Kingston Trio, among others, re the Sloop John B.

"We came on the sloop John B,

my grandfather and me,

around Jamaica, we did sail...."

We did early May TA '06 and TA leg went from Nassau to Azores route, then Lisbon. Weather was perfect - calm seas and bathing suits on pool deck.

In Lisbon, check out block-long row of the harborside great restaurants, bistros to the left of pier - short walk. And castle is great - 30 min walk from central plaza. Good Luck

Sharon, we're doing the reverse-Barcelona to Miami in December 07. Barcelona, Malaga and Gibraltor I figure 65 to 55 or so. Morocco is a tough call but the Canaries should start to warm us up, yes? If not I might try to convince DH that we should do a spring TA and then a land in time for the Kriskindl Markts. TIA

We did 14 day FLL-Barcelona in April 2006 and had wonderful weather .. sun tans and everything.

Maybe we were just lucky .. before we left I feared we'd be bouncing all over the placed, but it was smooth as glass on that crossing.

Good luck and happy cruisin'!

Sharon, we're doing the reverse-Barcelona to Miami in December 07. Barcelona, Malaga and Gibraltor I figure 65 to 55 or so. Morocco is a tough call but the Canaries should start to warm us up, yes? If not I might try to convince DH that we should do a spring TA and then a land in time for the Kriskindl Markts. TIA

We have a very active roll call for the 12/07 TA on Century over on the Celebrity Roll Call Forums.

If you're lucky, as we were this December, you may encounter weather in the 80s in the Canaries. It was a great December - much better than the last two years - and we had over 30 days of warm, sunny weather.:D

Hi!

I was on a eastbound TA in early May 05 onboard the Millineum. We were pleasantly surprised. The seas were extremely calm and the weather was in the mid 80"s.

I am on the westbound TA in 12/07 on the Century and hope it too will be calm sailing. I believe they take a fairly southerly route to avoid the storms from the north Atlantic.

Have a great cruise!

Valerie

Archived