What is there to do in Orlando for 3 - 4 hours?

mikebarnett

My wife and I are going to rent a car and drive back from Port Canaveral to Orlando, where our flight doesn’t leave until 4 p.m. on a Monday. I’m trying to figure out something my wife and I could do for a few hours. Maybe lunch somewhere. It wouldn't be worth it to go to an amusement park for just a few hours, and don't want to spend alot of money just to park and eat at a resturant like City Walk at Universal Studios. I had thought Downtown Disney or an Outlet Store or Mall, but does anyone have any other ideas how to kill a few hours around Orlando?

You're right that you don't have sufficient time to do a theme park but I second Downtown Disney (including Disney Marketplace and Downtown Disney Westside) as a great place to have lunch and spend a few hours before heading back to the airport. Not all the restaurants are open for lunch though, but many of them are. Stay on TOLL 528 (Beachline Expressway) from the port past Orlando Airport to I-4, then I-4 WEST (direction Tampa) and then use Exit # 67. Follow signs to DTD.

The Florida Mall is Orlando's largest mall and it's very close to the airport, however it's probably much of the same thing as you have back home. After passing the airport exit the 528 at Orange Blossom Trail (US17/92/441) and go north one mile.

BobK/Orlando

You do realize it is about 1.5 hours driving time each way.

From the airport to Downtown Disney? Maybe 30-40 minutes depending on traffic as I remember.

There is also a great outlet mall right off of I-4 as you are heading towards Disney. You can see it on the left side of the road as you head towards Tampa.

You do realize it is about 1.5 hours driving time each way.

I agree with shipaddict, it does take about 1.5 hrs from port to MCO, plus time to drive around the airport a couple of times trying to figure out where to return the car, and don't for get the 1-2 hrs it takes to check in, go through security, & take the shuttle tram to your departure gate. You might have time to grab a Strabucks in the terminal as your running to catch your flight if you only have 3-4 hrs to kill.;)

I thought it was about an hour to port? Our flight was just changed from 1:20 to now maybe 12:13 or other choice of 5:00pm. So do you think we can get off the ship and make it to MCO checking in on time? I really dont want to wait till 5:00 but I dont want to be so rushed and then miss the flight.

I thought it was about an hour to port? Our flight was just changed from 1:20 to now maybe 12:13 or other choice of 5:00pm. So do you think we can get off the ship and make it to MCO checking in on time? I really dont want to wait till 5:00 but I dont want to be so rushed and then miss the flight.

Honestly, I would go with the 5 o'clock, better to have a little time on your hands than miss a flight, MCO can get pretty busy.

Our flight after our upcoming cruise is at 5:55 p.m.

We almost missed a flight out once, it's very stressful.

just my 2cents.

If it were me, I would stay in the Cocoa Beach area. It's not overly crowded and we loved the restaurants and beaches in the area. Also, you could potentially do part of Kennedy Space Center if you do self-assist and get off the ship early. We had a late flight in April 2005 but didn't rent a car the day we flew home. Wish we had since we got to the airport around noon...long 4 hours. Also, the Hyatt at the airport used to have a day rate of about $75. If you are not into parks, etc., and just want to relax, that might be another option and you would be right at the airport.

Thanks for your advice, I guess we are going with the 5:00 flight home. Not really excited about that but we will have a rental car so we can take our time! I wanted to be home by 4:00 but they changed the direct flight. So now looks like it will be 10:00 instead. We had to wait on our last cruise for hours at Miami and that was awful! Cruise was great and then the airport day! hehehee

Old town is on 192 east side of I4 form DIsney parks, look for giant ferris wheel and a couple of those shoot you into the sky things:eek: . Lots of shops and restuarants are close by. If you decide to stay in Cocoa, I think it is mandatory to visit Ron Jon's the world's biggest surf shop. I don't agree with the 1.5 hour, when we left the port on a Thursday morning, we were back home in Winter Haven in 1.5 hours, should be around 40 to aiport, unless something is happening, check out the radio stations. 105.1 has a mix and does regular traffic announcements. Also dial 511 on your cell and you can get traffic report for the road you want:D . Have a blast!

Archived