Diabetic Menus

rogerdm

My doctor wants me to request diabetic meals. I know that I have to request it by fax at least 21 days before sail date. My question is, has anyone had any experience with this type of request?

I have no personal experience on this. But I am assuming that you have read this subject on the Celebrity website?

Bill

My doctor wants me to request diabetic meals. I know that I have to request it by fax at least 21 days before sail date. My question is, has anyone had any experience with this type of request?

I have no personal experience on this. But I am assuming that you have read this subject on the Celebrity website?

Bill

Yes, also available are low-sodium, low-fat, low-cholesterol, lactose-free, and kosher.

This is under special needs, medical/physical

We've never ordered special meals, but it isn't too hard to pick foods from the menu that fit into a diabetic diet. They always have selections that are more "diet" oriented and have delicious no sugar desserts (that have calories, of course).

Yes, I have had experience and it was a wonderful experience. I wasn't planning to make the special request as regards Meals for those with Diabetes. I was concerned about some food allergies I have, though. My TA knew me rather well and alerted Celebrity to my concerns as well as my other medical conditions. As a result, Celebrity requested that my physician complete a form, indicating all my conditions and concurring that I was able to travel.

I still did not make a specific request for Diabetes meals. I planned to follow my regular routine and keep my food groups balanced.

For my first meal on board, I consulted the Maitre D' because of my food allergies. He wrote the information down, including my cabin # and dinner seating (late) and advised me - for open sitting meals - to ask the waiter to bring the duty Maitre D' to me. The Maitre D' would then be able to advise me of the safest items for me to order.

When I arrived at our assigned table on the second night, (first night was open sitting) our waiter introduced himself and our assistant waiter and asked our names. As soon as we introduced ourselves, Ivo (the waiter) reacted with alertness. He already knew about the food allergy AND the Diabetes!!! He took the initiative to offer selections which would accommodate both situations. He privately advised me which were the Sugar-free desserts -- before the other diners arrived. Although he already knew what I would be ordering, he gave me the opportunity to 'publicly' order my dessert along with the rest of the guests at the table. This thoughtfulness meant a great deal to me.

The menus clearly provided options for those who have Diabetes, High Cholesterol, High Sodium issues and one could easily make selections, even without those categories labelled. If it seems there is nothing on the menu that you can have, you are free to order something else. Steak, chicken, salad and some other items are usually available, even if not printed on the menu.

The buffets offer plenty of choice as well. The dessert sections of the buffets also offer a variety (not just one) of sugar-free desserts. :D

If you were asking your original question because of concern over the food quality -- don't worry. None of the quality suffered and in some cases the Diabetes options were superior (IMHO):) .

Fax in your request and enjoy your cruise. Celebrity will go out of their way to look after you. Discreetly.

Terry:)

One of the folks at our table during our last cruise was not diabetic, but was sugar sensitive. He always ordered the sugar free desserts and found them delicious (My wife and I have the opposite problem- we cannot handle aspartane) The waiters were more than happy to tell us which items had aspartane so we could avoid them. (As opposed to non-sweetened food which did not have nutra-sweet)

Archived