Novice needs answer about hose color.

Let me first say that I haven't had on a pair of panty hose for about 5 years. I used to wear them all the time, but now I'm a pant girl. Anyway, I think I may wear a dark forest green velvet dress (it's short) for one of the formal nights, with black shoes. What color hose do I wear? Natural? Black? Darker natural - more brown? I'm 57 and don't have great legs, so don't really want to focus on them. :) I could use your help. From reading these boards, I know there are tons of you who are really into fashion, so I know I'll get the answer I need. Thanks.

My first thought was to say no hose. But then I stop and though about it. I would lean to black with the black shoes.

But don't forget...this is your vacation. You are to relax and enjoy yourself, regardless of great or not great looking legs. Just think about all of the fashion faux pas we see every day. Size 20 girls in size 12 stretch pants, overweight (or any) man in speedos:eek: .

Before I get flamed, I am a BBW, but the only 2 piece swimsuits I wear definitely cover all with no mid drift rise.;)

When you say that your dress is "short", do you mean knee-length, or more like calf-length? If it is longer, I wouldn't wear hose, especially if you want to wear open-toed shoes or sandals. I think that black hose and shoes would look kind of "old lady-ish", but that is without seeing you or the dress!

I would suggest that you wear sheer black hose.

Paired with sleek, sexy evening shoes, you'll create a longer line that doesn't call attention to your legs.

Nude, IMO, chops up the line nd has too much contrast with the dark green dress and black shoes.

Dark neutral is probably not the best choice either. I think your outfit will just not look "pulled together".

When you say that your dress is "short", do you mean knee-length, or more like calf-length? If it is longer, I wouldn't wear hose

It's not about what you would wear. The OP has already expressed that her legs are not her best feature and feels she looks best in hose. I believe her.

especially if you want to wear open-toed shoes or sandals. I think that black hose and shoes would look kind of "old lady-ish", but that is without seeing you or the dress!

As far as "old lady-ish" that really depends on the shoes and the dress.

There are plenty of young, sexy looking shoes out there and I've seen more than my fair share of frumpy, grandma-like sandals.

I have tried almost every brand of hose and what I would suggest is Phillipe Matignon - Cool Summer which you can purchase at http://www.shapings.com This hose is the sheerest of sheer and will add just a hint of color even in black (noir). They also have some beautiful darker neutral shades that will make your legs look tanned because they are so sheer. they also feel fantastic (very silky)

Thanks all. By short, I mean, knee length. I AM a grandma, so my sandles probably are frumpy, grandma-like sandles! :) I'll try a few different things. I'd love to go with no hose at all and my open toe sandles, but just didn't know if that would look o.k. with a velvet dress??? I'll be using Jergens Natural Glow to give me some color. Decision, decisions. :)

As far as "old lady-ish" that really depends on the shoes and the dress.

There are plenty of young, sexy looking shoes out there and I've seen more than my fair share of frumpy, grandma-like sandals.

So what do you suggest for hose and shoes, Jane110? I certainly wasn't suggesting grandma-like sandals, lol!

I may be from the old school, but for formal night, you MUST wear hose of some kind. I think a very sheer black, like Barely Black from Hanes Sheer Reflections. I also like their Barely There for a neutral color. I just don't feel dressed up without the hose. On informal nights, I think a nice sundress is fine with bare legs, but not with a dressy dress, please.

Thanks all. By short, I mean, knee length. I AM a grandma, so my sandles probably are frumpy, grandma-like sandles! :) I'll try a few different things. I'd love to go with no hose at all and my open toe sandles, but just didn't know if that would look o.k. with a velvet dress??? I'll be using Jergens Natural Glow to give me some color. Decision, decisions. :)

Check out the hose with no toes. You have a little "thong thingy" between your toes so your hose toe seam doesn't show in your sandals. You only see pretty polished toes but the legs are sort of covered.

Do you have a pair of plain black pumps? Pair with sheerest black hose, IMHO, for this. If the dress is plain, you could always add jeweled shoe clips to your pumps. ANd don't forget your littlest black purse!

Whatever you wear, smile and have a blast !

M:)

So what do you suggest for hose and shoes, Jane110? I certainly wasn't suggesting grandma-like sandals, lol!

I know you weren't suggesting "grandma-like" sandals, however, your post says that "black shoes would look kind of old lady-ish" and my point is that both shoes and sandals can look either frumpy or sexy, depending on the style. I've got lots of black shoes and trust me, none of them are old lady-ish!

Even my Manolo-loving senior citizen Mom wouldn't wear frumpy shoes! ;)

My vote was for sheer black hose with the black shoes. I said that in my first response to her. She's made it clear in her first post that she already has the shoes. She's not asking us for shoe suggestions, so I'm not offering any.

I opt for no hose. I have seen segments on the today show that say hose are out bare legs are in. Also on What not to Wear; they said No hose with strappy sandals or only nude toeless hose with sandals. But you know what... where exactly what you are comfortable wearing. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I opt for no hose. I have seen segments on the today show that say hose are out bare legs are in.

Don't agree at all.

I think the difference is that bare legs are now acceptable where years ago they weren't. But that doesn't mean hose are out.

Also on What not to Wear; they said No hose with strappy sandals or only nude toeless hose with sandals. .

No hose with very strappy sandals is a different issue.

Thanks, hey if hose are out - then I'm going to be "in" and not wear any. Thanks a million, that's the answer I was looking for. :)

Errrr.....well that's not what you asked. :)

You asked if you should wear black, natural or dark natural, which gives the impression that you prefer not to go bare legged. However, I'm glad you got the answer that satisfy's you.

But just for the record, I don't agree with it. Nothing against bare legs on formal night, but I think that a knee length, wintery dark green velvet dress with bare legs is not elegant or chic looking.

Anyway, I think I may wear a dark forest green velvet dress (it's short) for one of the formal nights, with black shoes. What color hose do I wear? Natural? Black? Darker natural - more brown? I'm 57 and don't have great legs, so don't really want to focus on them. :) I could use your help. From reading these boards, I know there are tons of you who are really into fashion, so I know I'll get the answer I need. Thanks.

Okay, just jumping in here...

You are saying a dark forest green velvet dress with black shoes...

Now, bear with me, I'm all about knowing about fashion and what looks good on people (my standpoint is that I don't care what happens to be "in" at any particular moment, which is "fashion"; but what looks the best on that particular person or outfit or what they are trying to achieve, which is "style")...

So, I'm always about what looks best for you and on you in your particular situation...

That being said, based on your parameters of the dark green dress and black shoes then...

My vote was for sheer black hose with the black shoes.

I'm completely agreeing with Jane110, on the sheer black hose will be nice, classy, and be a perfect "blend" with what you are wearing.

It would really elongate you and look really pulled together (and it will look good whether you get tan or not)...

Just sayin';)

Another opinion...

Either way, take pictures and have a great cruise!

CJW:D

Okay, just jumping in here...

You are saying a dark forest green velvet dress with black shoes...

Now, bear with me, I'm all about knowing about fashion and what looks good on people (my standpoint is that I don't care what happens to be "in" at any particular moment, which is "fashion"; but what looks the best on that particular person or outfit or what they are trying to achieve, which is "style")...

So, I'm always about what looks best for you and on you in your particular situation...

That being said, based on your parameters of the dark green dress and black shoes then...

I'm completely agreeing with Jane110, on the sheer black hose will be nice, classy, and be a perfect "blend" with what you are wearing.

It would really elongate you and look really pulled together (and it will look good whether you get tan or not)...

Just sayin';)

Another opinion...

Either way, take pictures and have a great cruise!

CJW:D

Beauty consultant here and I completely agree with everything Curt said, especially the part about not caring about what "fashion" is "in", but what looks best on YOU. I think a slim young girl in a slinky knee length dress with a sexy sandal with a heel and and tanned legs can look very sexy with no hose. I think those of us over a certain age and in longer dresses, MUST wear hose. I think Velvet demands hose.

I think that everyone will have to "agree to disagree" on this subject. To be honest, I don't think that sheer black hose (not tights) with black shoes have been in style for years. My suggestion would be sheer skin-tone hose with black sling backs. I just think it would call more attention to the legs if they don't match the color of the arms.

I was just reading in USA Today that pantyhose sales have gone down dramatically in the last few years, and that manufacturers are now concentrating on other "legwear" like shapers, tights, and footless leggings (not that I am really into that style either!).

But just for the record, I don't agree with it. Nothing against bare legs on formal night, but I think that a knee length, wintery dark green velvet dress with bare legs is not elegant or chic looking.

I agree, especially when you are not wanting to draw attention to your legs.

I tried on my dress today, with very shear black hose and closed toed black shoes. I think it looks really nice and I feel comfortable in it. I agree, the "no hose" thing just didn't look right with a velvet dress. Phew...that was tough, but now one less thing to think about. I appreciate everyones help. These boards are great, aren't they? For those of you cruising soon, I assume that's most of you, have a fabulous time.

I tried on my dress today, with very shear black hose and closed toed black shoes. I think it looks really nice and I feel comfortable in it. I agree, the "no hose" thing just didn't look right with a velvet dress. Phew...that was tough, but now one less thing to think about. I appreciate everyones help. These boards are great, aren't they? For those of you cruising soon, I assume that's most of you, have a fabulous time.

I think that everyone will have to "agree to disagree" on this subject. To be honest, I don't think that sheer black hose (not tights) with black shoes have been in style for years.

So those high fashion ads I've been seeing show out of style looks? I don't think so! ;)

Besides, to be honest it not like a pair of wedge shoes that go "in" or "out" It's a classic and sometimes a classic is less popular for awhile, but that doesn't mean it's "out".

As Curt says, one should wear what looks best on them.

My suggestion would be sheer skin-tone hose with black sling backs. I just think it would call more attention to the legs if they don't match the color of the arms.

Don't agree here. However, I don't think the OP said that the dress was sleeveless, did she? So if it's long sleeved or she's wearing a jacket, would you then think she should wear sheer black hose?

The OP already has her shoes. Dont know if they're slingbacks.

I was just reading in USA Today that pantyhose sales have gone down dramatically in the last few years, and that manufacturers are now concentrating on other "legwear" like shapers, tights, and footless leggings (not that I am really into that style either!).

Of course they have! Once it's acceptable to go bare legged (and no one here has disagreed on that) then hosiery sales will of course go down. Add to that more and more women wearing pants, instead of skirts and you've got yet another reason for lowered sales.

After that, look at the increase of the sale of jeans and the acceptance to wear them everywhere (except cruise ship dining rooms!) it's phenomenal and no one wears hose under their jeans! (ok, the .0001% here that might, you've already been counted!)

Still doesn't mean, in my opinion, that a dark formal velvet dress looks well with bare legs.

Archived