Table assignment requests- Carnival

bchbum641

We are going with another couple and will be sitting with them but we would like to be at a table of 8 so we can get to know a few other couples. It's always fun to chat with new people and make new friends. My TA told us that they can get us with the coulple we are going with but that we would have to talk to the Matre D when we get on the ship to request a larger table. This seems odd to me. I would think it would be much easier for the TA to put in that request in the 1st place. Do you think I should call Carnival myself and request this. I really don't want to have to mess with this on the ship. Thanks in advance.

I have never had the opportunity to reserve a table size on a cruise with Carnival so I am not sure if it is done but I do know in our past experience that we have been tied (booking #'s) with our guests and then when we arrived we were always with other guests at a larger table... Most of the people that I hear going to the maitre'd are trying to get a private table.

I am sure people with more experience will write soon.

On a previous cruise we were told the same thing..to check in with Matre D. When we got on the ship, we went to the dining area first and the Matre D has a huge board and can see where seats are available and how he can switch the groups. I actually think it is easier to do it this way. We were able to choose our location as well. We sat on an upper deck near the stairs and had great view of the entire dining room.

Carnival usually won't talk to you since you booked with a TA.

Go to the dining room as soon as you get onboard & find your table location in the dining room. Table number will be on your Sail & Sign card. You may already be seated at a large table. If not, check the Capers in your cabin to see what time you can go see about changing your table.

Dining times & seating times are assigned & can be changed if space is available. Good luck.

We are also sailing with another couple and would like to be seated at a large table. I wish you could request this ahead of time, but more important to us is the dining time, which is also subject to change. We like to dine early, as we are used to at home. Last cruise, when we requested a change, we ended up with a table for two and weren't about to request another change because the waitstaff was wonderful. We made friends with all the other tables around us and it was fine, since dining time was our biggest concern.

Your TA can link the booking numbers for you and the other couple. He/she can request a dining time and table size, but it is only a request. On our last Carnival cruise we requested early seating and a large table. When we boarded the ship, I went to the dining room to check our assignment. We had the early dining, but at a table for four. I requested a change, but the Maitre D' could not accommodate us and no amount of money was going to make a difference. Not that I offered. I would have tipped him at the end of the cruise if the change had been possible.

In our experience, the maitre'd will not accept tips for table assignments.

"I say hello my name is...., please accept this as a thank you in advance for taking care of my wife and I. Our table assignment is....could you please show us where that is located? HMMMM, would it be possible for us to be relocated to......."

Its worked before.

"I say hello my name is...., please accept this as a thank you in advance for taking care of my wife and I. Our table assignment is....could you please show us where that is located? HMMMM, would it be possible for us to be relocated to......."

Its worked before.

...If that worked on Carnival, it was a VERY rare occasion. These guys just can not be persuaded with a "paper handshake." There have been a couple of times when either our times or locations had to be changed. If they can help you out, they do. And rest assured, I'll get a visit from them on the last evening if they can meet my request. I certainly don't mind giving, as they deserve something for helping my situation.

...As mentioned before, before you get too concerned, take a look on your Sail and Sign card to see which Dining Room and Table you were placed at. Then take a stroll to that room and table location. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that you have already been placed at a larger table. If you're not happy, talk to the Maitre 'd to see if you can be relocated to a larger table. ...Hope this helps...

I agree with Brenda about the procedure to follow to check on your table.

It really would do you no good to call Carnival - because they won't 'interfere' with an outside booking. Everything must go through your TA.

About the 'incentive' to the Maitre d'. As a rule, they really don't accept bribes....although I'm sure there are a few who do at times.:rolleyes:

Once I asked for a different assignment (late to early), and the Maitre d' assured me it would be taken care of. At that time (not before), I said "May I give you a little thank-you?"...reaching for my purse. He shook his head no, and said it would be his pleasure to help me out. (I did tip him the last evening.)

We recently booked a cruise for Sept and requested a large table. Our TA said he booked us for early dining and that a table size would not be determined until we board. Basically, to check with the Maitre'd upon boarding and see where we are located.

As for Bribes ( tipping for table change), IMHO, this is exactly what is being done. if I have to bribe in order to get something I want that is available, that would be the last time I cruise that line. With that said, I have only been on 2 cruises and NEVER had to "TIP" in order to get a table changed. Did I witness this being done? Yup, on Carnival Liberty in Jan 06.

I can only speak to my experience on the Celebration in 10/05. We had a pretty good gap between our cruising. I did, however, do exactly as I posted, the Matrie'd moved us from a larger table to a 4 top booth. I don't know if the "tip", not "bribe", in advance had anything to do with it, but....everytime the wife and I walked into the dining room he would stop what he was doing, Say hello Mr. and Mrs. ----- and take us to our table himself. Our servers where especially attentive to I think. Our only disappointment arose from the quality of the meals some nights. Not all but some.

Archived