What are your favorite things to do/see in Cozumel?

crzynurs

Hi Board!

My husband and I will be cruising sans children <G> in September to Cozumel. Neither of us have been there. We're not looking to do a whole lot of shopping (but I can always be tempted).

What would you recommend? I don't like snorkeling but he does. I'm content to sit on a beach with a book and a nice cold drink.

All suggestions are welcomed!

TIA!

Maggie

The one thing that I think sets Cozumel apart from the rest is it's beaches. They look like the ones you see on the post cards. They have white sand and crystal clear water that you can see the ocean floor from. And the ocean looks like an artist dropped a bunch of sapphire blue paint into it. It is the most perfect shade of blue I have ever seen. You feel like you are in paradise when you visit the beaches at Cozumel.

We plan on going to Paradise beach. It is free to get into and has restaurants, bathrooms, and fresh water showers. The other things that are free are: lounge chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipment, floatie mats, water trampoline, rock climbing on the iceberg rock, the space walker, and kayaks. They use purified water and ice and they also accept credit cards. We went to Chankanaab beach last time we were there and it was nice but had very little actual beach area that you could walk into the water from. Most of the beach access was by steps that took you into the water. It is very steep and the water is deep. The snorkeling is pretty good there though. Another beach that gets lots of good comments is Mr. Sancho's beach. But the snorkel equipment costs money, so does the kayaks and everything else. That's why we chose to go to Paradise. A good website that compares the beaches is http://www.cozumel-beach.com.

Another thing we liked in Cozumel was the shopping. You can get some really good deals. My kids love spongebob and I got them really nice spongebob squarepants t-shirts with the Cozumel logo on it for only $4.00. We also got Disney t-shirts for only $4.00 each. And they lasted the whole school year too. I would definitely set aside some time for a little shopping. It would be time well spent. I hope this helps. Happy cruising!

My husband and I have been to Cozumel both for land and cruise vacations. Our favorite thing to do is to rent a jeep so you can go around the Island. We snorkeled at El Cid la Ceiba hotel. We also stayed there on our land vacation. It was so much fun. They have a great place to snorkel and there is a sunken boat there where a lot of snorkel tours go. Water can be kinda rocky when you get in but it is just fine once your are in. We then toured the Island! Once on the back side you will see some other beaches. We did not stop there but we did stop at several bars along the way. The ocean view back there is fantastic! The water is so blue with the lovely sand. We bought a nice mexican blanket for $20. Not the small ones you see! Drinks are cheaper back there too. Downtown Cozumel is fun too. Carlos and Cahrlies is a fun place to eat. The Oyster 4 ways is really great. Mini Golf Sally's is a neat place to go. In May I bought a brightly colored purse there and a cute mexican nativity set and some cute morocos. I hope this helps.

Lexi

Have been to Cozumel a few times, done different things each time. Years ago, rented mopeds and drove all around the island and stopped to snorkel at Chakanaab, That was great! 2 years ago, with our teens, rented a Geo Tracker at the pier (International Pier off the ROS) and drove off to San Gervasio ruins (hot, humid and not too spectacular ruins, but interesting), then around the east side and stopped at ChenRio beach. Mostly locals were there at the time, we just were lazy on the beach, snorkeled in the shallow lagoon type area--the beach area is safe due to the reef just a little ways out--ate a great meal (a fish and lobster platter) up in a second story screened in restaurant area--chairs, tables and umbrellas on the beach. Then drove around the south of the island and went shopping back near the pier. Last week we did a half day fishing charter, it stormed over Cozumel while we were south of the island and avoided the storm--fish weren't biting much. Went back and shopped a little. So each time was a different experience, putting it all together, Cozumel is a neat place. Hear Paradise Beach is nice...part of our family went there last week after the storm and had a great time. Depends what you're looking for...the east side was the prettiest and great for just being on the beach, not for swimming (other than in the shallow lagoon at ChenRio)--apparently very dangerous due to undertow. Paradise Beach is free, has chairs, sun protection, water toys, etc., and isn't far from the piers. Also depends on whether you hit Cozumel at the beginning or the end of your trip--if at the end, you may be tired from shore excursions and just want to beach it. If at the beginning, you may want to do something more active like the swim with the dolphins, snorkeling, etc. Good luck with your decision. Cozumel is wonderful, has something for everyone.

Archived