Silvermoon II Catamaran Review

suznf

After arriving in Barbados and taking the obligatory picture (with Pirates I think), we gathered at the base of the gangway. Shuttle busses to us to the cruise ship terminal. A pretty clean mall with nice stores throughout. We walked through here and then found the registration area for the Silvermoon outside. After waiting for a couple of families that ended up not showing we loaded into a small bus for the short ride to the marina. (There were a total of 17 guests and 3 crew onboard. They will not book more than 25 guests although I believe the Cat has room for 40.)

At the marina we put our shoes into a bucket and boarded the sparkling clean Beautiful Silvermoon II. She was in pristine condition. Lots of area for sunning, but plenty of comfortable space in the shade. The crew welcomed us on board and took imprints of our credit cards. First things first!

Then we were given instructions about the craft, a review of the bar available and instructions to drink as much as we wanted. I think we mostly stayed with rum punch, but I am pretty sure there was Vodka and beer available as well. Nonalcoholic drinks as well.

Once settled we set to our first stop for snorkeling. The weather was overcast and it rained on and off. But the sun never left for any extended period of time. The reggae music and rum punch made it perfect once the engines were turned off and the wind took on the work of moving us across the blue water. It was about 84 degrees F and slightly humid.

At our first snorkeling stop, a coral reef, (mandatory) lifejackets were distributed (they were the thin, black inflatable kind – strap around the wait & between the legs. You didn’t have to inflate them if you didn’t want to. Snorkels, masks and fins (all in excellent condition) were also passed out. We snorkeled for about ½ hour I think and saw lots of angel fish as well as a few other types. I think I saw maybe 7-10 different species. It was not the best snorkeling ever, but it was fun and amazing nonetheless.

We got back on and headed out to the next stop, right off of the resort that Tiger Woods rented out for his wedding. There was another catamaran there as well but they were far enough away that we didn’t run into each other. The crew began throwing out bait as we entered the water (without fins so as not to kick the turtles). Before we knew it at least 4 turtles were swimming with us! Two huge ones and two smaller ones! They were incredible!!! We were told we could pet their shells but not to grab them or hang on or otherwise bother them. I don’t think they were all that thrilled to be touched actually, and surprisingly they felt just like a turtle!

After swimming with the turtles we had a fantastic lunch of fried flying fish (come on Jen 10xs!) BBQ Chicken, green salad, pasta salad, beans & rolls I think and banana bread for dessert. The flying fish was awesome!

After that we tipped the crew, retrieved our shoes, boarded the van and headed back to the terminal. We had such a great time; we will probably do it again next year! It is a somewhat expensive excursion compared to others, but you get what you pay for and this is a first class operation, absolutely worth every cent!

Bring with you: Confirmation and meeting instructions (comes in handy :o), sunblock, and the credit card used to make the reservation (or that you want to pay with), hats that TIE (or you will lose them-aka Chris:eek:), sunglasses (and those thingys that hold them on would be handy), towels, underwater camera, cash for tips for the three crew members (they earn it!).

Pina Coladas were offered after lunch. I would imagine you could call them and see if they can stock up for the entire cruise....

As for tipping-- it is up to your discretion. 15-20% of your total bill for the crew to split- like at a restaurant -would be appropriate. They have a tip box out at the end for you to put the money into as you disembark and I imagine they divy it up among them. So it really is at your discretion.

We met them at around 9 am at the terminal and returned to the terminal around 2 or 3 I believe. It seemed like the right amount of time to us-we were ready to go back.

What sets the Silvermoon apart from other similar tours (imho), was the number of people on the craft (so few), the quality of the craft (new and in pristine condition), and the level of service provided. The spots we went to had other people there but they were not crowded nor did we feel like we were in competition with other tours. Also food & drink was of better quality. (Went on the Jolly Pirates in Aruba had a great time...it was half the cost and a similar type of snorkling tour with the addition of the rope swing....everyone agreed the Silvermoon...even at twice the cost...was a better tour and worth the extra expense--even the teens (although they didn't pay for it....)

Excellent review - thanks. We've scooped up the last two spots on the Silver Moon I (max 12 passengers) for our day in early Feb.

From everything I've read the difference between the Silver Moon and most of the other catamaran tours out there is primarily the number of people aboard the vessel and the food. I've read reviews where other tour operators with the same size boats cram upwards of 40 - 50 people aboard each excursion making it difficult to find shade if you so desire, eat and of course get close to the turtles.

Of course all this comes with a price. SM is definitely more expensive then most others however if you want a more intimate outing (a day to remember) then the Silver Moon may be your cup of tea.

Word to the wise - because of the limited number of spaces I'd suggest you book in advance as opposed to showing up on the dock expecting to board one of the two Silver Moon boats.

Good luck and enjoy your day!

Buddy

Thank you for your good review and suggestions as to what to bring. We plan to go with them in June-will send confirmation off tomorrow.

Gather you suggest about a $20 tip per passenger. Wanted to be prepared.

Thanks again,

MexicoBob

• 2 weeks later...

Our family of 10, including my 90+ year old grandmother (she does not snorkel :D ) but loves the food and the sailing, were with suznf and her family and a few other folks on this day. This was our entire family's second time aboard the SM II. That is how much we loved it!

Last time we did not get to swim with the turtles due to rough seas. In one word, just to add what she detailed, "AWESOME". This photo was taken from the catamaran by my Dad who did not snorkel. You can just imagine how much more impressive these creatures are when you are right next to them in the water. Suznf sending you the pics is on my "to do" list :)

turtlel.jpg

anyone happen to have a their confirmation booking page saved in their email? I was in contact with someone last week and then asked for it to be sent to me and so far I haven't recieved it and I want to make sure my husband and I still get in for March. If you have it can u mail it and put silvermoon in the subject line? Thanks a bunch! qubratt@aol.com

anyone happen to have a their confirmation booking page saved in their email? I was in contact with someone last week and then asked for it to be sent to me and so far I haven't recieved it and I want to make sure my husband and I still get in for March. If you have it can u mail it and put silvermoon in the subject line? Thanks a bunch! qubratt@aol.com

Be sure to check your spam folder. Sometimes e-mails get "stuck" there.

Archived