Passport expiry

SheilaL56

I have heard that there may be a problem if your passport expires within 6 months of the date of the cruise. My passport expires in July 2007 and our cruise is Feb 10/07. I did not want to risk sending it back to Canada for renewal and not getting it back in time. (I reside in the US) I have a Citizenship card from Canada (with photo) that never expires and I have my US resident alien card (green card) as well as drivers licence etc.. Will I have a problem with boarding the ship because of the expiration date of my passport? We are sailing with Royal Caribbean.

Any help would be great!

I am also looking to find out if driving into the port of Miami is a problem. We intend to drop off the luggage at the pier, park the vehicle in the garage. Do we need anything special to be granted entry to the port? Will out set sail passes and ID work fine? Also, how do we know which pier our ship will be docked at, can we ask at the port entry?

Thanks so much!

I have heard that there may be a problem if your passport expires within 6 months of the date of the cruise. My passport expires in July 2007 and our cruise is Feb 10/07. I did not want to risk sending it back to Canada for renewal and not getting it back in time. (I reside in the US) I have a Citizenship card from Canada (with photo) that never expires and I have my US resident alien card (green card) as well as drivers licence etc.. Will I have a problem with boarding the ship because of the expiration date of my passport? We are sailing with Royal Caribbean.

Any help would be great!

I am also looking to find out if driving into the port of Miami is a problem. We intend to drop off the luggage at the pier, park the vehicle in the garage. Do we need anything special to be granted entry to the port? Will out set sail passes and ID work fine? Also, how do we know which pier our ship will be docked at, can we ask at the port entry?

Thanks so much!

I am not sure where in the US you live but have you considered contacting the closest Canadian Consular Office? When visiting other countries, you will be entering as a Canadian citizen, therefore, those countries may have different requirements for Canadian citizens. When entering back to the US, you will need your Lawfully Admitted Permanent Resident card (I-551) to enter the US as you are legally residing in the US. I hope this helps.

Here is a link that may help you:

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/menu-en.asp#u

I have been told and have also read in the Canadian passport information online, that Canadian citizens living in the US are not to go to Consular offices to renew passports. We have to do it by mail and send to the passport office in Quebec. I did this a few years ago when we lived in VA. It didn't take very long, but I did have to send my citizenship card, birth certificate etc.. with the application, all originals. so, I would have no real valid ID if there was a delay.

I tend to think that the ID I have including my current passport, even if it does expire 5 and 1/2 months out from the cruise date, will be enough for me to be allowed to board my RCCL cruise, at least that is my hope. I did call RCCL and the agent I spoke with told me not to worry about it, that it shouldn't be a problem, I am just being extra careful maybe. I wouldn't want to be told I couldn't board the ship just because it will be 5.5 months to my passport expiry. I have lots of other ID, green card, citizenship card, drivers licence etc.. so am I overreacting here?

Archived