Can you "walk" to downtown Cozumel?

love2fish

Forgive me if this was asked before...

DH and I are interested in just doing a little shopping while in Cozumel. Will we be able to walk from the ship to the area of shops where you can barter? If so, can you give me an idea of how long of a walk it will be?

Also, I would really like to purchase a sumbraro. Does anyone know ballpark how much they are and are they found in abudance in the shops?

We'll be first time cruzers on the Enchantment in June '07 for our anniversary. We are so excited.

Thanks so much!!:)

That depends on where you dock. There are 3 (I believe, I know 2 for sure) docks that are used for ships in Cozumel. If you are docked at Punta Langosta Pier then you will be right at the downtown area. You walk off the ship and you are right in the heart of things. If you are at the International Pier, then you will need to take a Taxi unless you are really into walking. It can be very warm in Cozumel, so I would suggest taking a taxi to town and you'll see how far it is (I think it's about a mile or Mile and a half), then if you want to stroll all the way back, you will have an idea. You can see the town center from the International pier as well, so you can guage your distance from the ship. I have walked it and it's not too bad, though, I walk a lot and have no trouble going a few miles in the heat. There will be Plenty of taxis at the pier. Now, like I said if you are at Punta Langosta....your right there.

As far as sombreros, you will see them every where and prices can range from $2 - $40 depending on what type you are looking for. You will have no problem finding one. Be sure to dicker for a good price. You can usually get something for half of the price marked, if not more. Cozumel is a fun town to shop/eat/drink/explore. It's town is small and very easy to navigate and they are pretty much geared to cruise ship travelers.

Oh yeah, one more thing...if you are tendering, then you "definitely cannot walk" to town. ;)

We docked with the Mariner in December and we were at the International Pier. We were told it was about 2-3 miles from International Pier to downtown if we wanted to walk. We went on the Segway Adventure Tour, and after our tour wanted to go downtown. It was $7 for a taxi from the tour building to downtown, and the tour building was a couple of miles passed the pier.

Archived