Fantasy review cruise 1/04/07

Sashalanda

Just returned this afternoon :). It was our third cruise but the first for our sons ages 13 and 18. I wanted to sign my 13 yr old up for camp carnival but being a very mature 13yr old..I knew he would be miserable with the 12-14 yr group. He was not happy about the idea at all. Guessing that many schools must have gone back to school earlier, there really wasn't a lot of kids on board for this cruise. My sons were fine with that though. My youngest fell in love with room service. I swear we spent $40 in tips just in room service lol. The shows were great and I STILL haven't been able to stay awake long enough to catch the midnight comic but our teenagers were in bed asleep long before even we were lol.

I finally got to see young dolphins, not just once but twice!!! That made my whole cruise. I had so wanted to see some on the last two but only saw one sea turtle. They were only about 3 feet long and tried very hard to keep up with the ship but couldn't lol. I also saw a fish come out of the water that I had no idea what it was...it was long and slender and black..may have been other colors but at that distance, all I saw was black (or a dark dark color).

Weather on the way to New Orleans was gray skys with off and on drizzle but all the rest of the cruise was bright sunny skies. Fantasy was clean as a whistle and service was excellent as always. I was so glad they still had the chocolate melting cake..yummm that has to be a sin to eat that cause it is just too good. thankfully, the public areas were not as cold as they were our last cruise in October. I froze to death on that one. This one was fine with a shawl or sweater for me, I tend to be cold natured though. All the staff were friendly and always at the ready to help when and where needed.

My husband and sons had booked the excursion to the mayan ruins but it got cancelled because of not enough guests signed up for it. My sons were pretty disappointed in that but we took them shopping in town and they always enjoy spending money lol. they had a lot of fun with the ping pong table and golfing though. I couldn't get either of them to swim on board though. Maybe had there been some kids their age swimming they may have.

On the terminal elevator heading to the cruise, our older son leaned against some buttons, setting off the help line to 911 rofl. He spoke very fast to the panel that we were ok and it was an accident...no one was mugged or anything lol. Then he carried my medication bag through customs, they pulled him aside and I was freaking out. My husband wheeled my wheelchair by him. It was over a pair of scissors I had in my bag with my pain patches ( I cut them to fit on my fingers). they took my scissors :( and she was very apologetic about it but it was their size. Guess if they had been like the size of sewing scissors they would of been ok. I think by that time my 18yr old was ready to go back home lol. We all had a good laugh about it later though. We left the picture taking up to the boys and they took some awesome ones.

We ate in the main dining room every night. I figured my sons would object after formal night but they actually wanted to go. They loved tasting the new foods because they knew if they didn't like it, they could either get something else there or head to buffet for something different. Turned out they found out they loved many different new foods. Lunches and breakfasts though we spent in the buffet as none of us are early eaters. Pizza and reubens we wonderful in the deli too.

I took a portable clothes steamer with me and boy did that come in handy. Most trips the self serve laundry has been fairly empty but this time it was full most of the time. I took a small 4 cup coffee maker with me because their coffee is way too strong for me and I drink mine black (hate anything added to my coffee). I drink the folgers stomach sensitive coffee. I was very careful with it and unplugged it and put it away right after my coffee. Not sure if these two appliances are allowed or not to be honest but I had to have my coffee or I am miserable. If I drink theirs, I have to take previcid every day for over a month to get over my tummy troubles. My room steward never took them away anyway. Got to watch two movies on their tv that I had been waiting for on dvd..one was the Devil Wears Prada. I was so tickled it was showing and yep was a great movie. The bagels and cream cheese btw makes a great night time snack :). I know this wasn't in a good order but hey I am tired after lots of laundry and all that unpacking :p .

My husband says he wants to pass on my next one, so maybe I can talk my mom into going with me. We are both disabled though so am not sure if the two of us can do it. Both of us have difficulties walking. She has her power chair already, and I should be getting mine this month. That will make it easier but I keep thinking about luggage coming home...how to get it from the terminal to our vehicle. There are porters coming to the ship but is there anyone that can help when we get off?

Sasha,

We were there, too! We had a blast. We travelled with 4 other couples, mid-40s and no kids. We loved the Celebration dining room and the chocolate melting cake was DIVINE!!!! (If you like chocolate, it will make you utter noises that shouldn't be heard at the dining table!;))

We played the games by the Bistro in the afternoons, and I won my third ship on a stick (so far, I'm 3 for 3) in name that tune. Noonan the Asst. CD was good. Enjoyed the shows and the karaoke.

Housekeeping was great and we also saw a lot of cleaning on the ship most of the time.

Embarkation/Debarkation were much improved since our last cruise. All in all a great time. I'm ready to go back and am looking at Mardi Gras '08 back on the Fantasy!

When I look at some of the booking sites, they have rooms with bunk beds (cat 1A), but the Fantasy floor plan doesn't show these. I'm thinking of booking a "guarantee" cabin, but don't want to get stuck with bunk beds - do you have any knowledge of these? Also, any excursions you would either recommend or advise against?

We just booked the Fantasy on 2/15. Where did you find out about Ivan and David? Do they have a web site?

We have rented a jeep the last 2 times we went to Cozumel and had a blast exploring the various beaches on both sides of the island. This time we were looking to explore the ruins.

Thanks

When I look at some of the booking sites, they have rooms with bunk beds (cat 1A), but the Fantasy floor plan doesn't show these. I'm thinking of booking a "guarantee" cabin, but don't want to get stuck with bunk beds - do you have any knowledge of these? Also, any excursions you would either recommend or advise against?

I do believe fantasy has the bunk rooms but you can ask your TA for sure. If they definately do, and I am pretty sure they do, you can get a guarantee above that level to make sure you don't get those. As far as excursions, I am handicap in a wheelchair for long distances..which on cruise was most of the time since my problem is with balance lol..so not the best person to ask. We did go to paradise beach..no charge to use their beach or chairs..they just hope in return you will buy drinks and food from them. They do have water trampoline, tall climbing iceburg and snorkel equipement that you can rent for $12 for the day. The food is excellent. You just grab a taxi that are lined up from the walk by the ship, tell them paradise beach..make sure you ask them price before hand though. It should be $12 one way. Other times we shopped. We found stores off the beaten path to have much better prices than the ones carnival recommended but beware if buying jewelry unless you are good at telling real from phoney cause it wont be warrantied unless its associated with carnival. I really wanted to go on the catamaran outing but hubby wasnt about to let me on it..he is very over protective at times grrr.

They definitely have bunk beds..they are the rooms that are in the middle sideways....my friends are booked in one

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

So I've got a cruise booked for next October (Halloween) on the Fantasy, and I assumed the weather would be mild once into the gulf. Does someone have a 'weather report' for different months for Caribbean cruises? In a more selfish question, does someone have a description of the weather in late october onboard? What should I expect? t-shirts? long sleeves? Sweaters? A parka and mittens?

Thanks, this is my first cruise and I'm already wayyyy to excited!

JC

Archived