Pacific Princess & Fixed Dining

Shearwaters

We are looking at taking a cruise on the Pacific Princess in March, and have noticed that there is only fixed dining available (dinner) in the main restaurant.

On our previous cruises we were able to enjoy the happiness of free style dining and are a little concerned at the rigidity of P & O Australia in this regard.

Would appreciate some feedback from fellow cruisers. For example:

How flexible are P & O re starting times for the dinners? What if you're a bit late or wish to catch the show? Does everyone have to be seated before orders are taken and served? Is it really the same table, same position, and same fellow passengers night after night?

Cheers :confused:

We cruised on the Pacific Princess in December 2005 (ex Sydney). I believe that the main reason they don't offer flexible dining options is that she is a small ship and they don't have the capacity for this. From memory they did have a couple of optional dining venues that operated on some days (and at extra charge).

We were assigned to the same table each time (dinner only). I can't comment on the starting times flexibility; the four of us were on a table of 4 together, although our teenage son was often late and that never presented a problem for them. They certainly don't hold up service for late arrivals.

They do two sittings and two shows each night. Our fellow cruisers were mainly of an older generation on our cruise, so we settled for the late dinner session (as they all seemed to prefer the 6pm dining option) and we found this worked out well for us. We had the run of the ship almost to ourselves between 6pm and 8.30pm (perfect for a drink outside watching the world go by), followed by a late dinner and the option of attending a later show (or going to bed).

You'll have a great time. Because she is a smaller ship you seem to enjoy a more intimate cruise experience.

We are looking at taking a cruise on the Pacific Princess in March, and have noticed that there is only fixed dining available (dinner) in the main restaurant.

On our previous cruises we were able to enjoy the happiness of free style dining and are a little concerned at the rigidity of P & O Australia in this regard.

How flexible are P & O re starting times for the dinners? What if you're a bit late or wish to catch the show? Does everyone have to be seated before orders are taken and served? Is it really the same table, same position, and same fellow passengers night after night?

Hi cruiser, I hope you decide to cruise on the beautiful Pacific Princess.she is a great little ship.

the majority of people are of an middle age. those who join in the activities are great fun.

As the previous reply, because it is a small ship there is no need for flexible dining, with the two sittings.

regarding your arrival at dinner, the waiter doesn't put his order in until everyone is seated. it goes to kitchen by the table not the individual.

every cruise I have been on her, we have changed positions at the table each night so we can get to know everyone. but always at the same table.

some ships close doors 15 minutes after dinner gong.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Cheers :confused:

We have just returned from a cruise on board Pacific Princess. Main dining room: same table, same people (not necessarily fixed positions). We had a wonderful table, so there were no problems. Service was excellent and attentive, food mainstream but certainly not bad, wine list half aussie, half "imported", i e mainly US. Not a very diverse selection. But very reasonable compared to the USD prices one would ahve to pay on Princess or HAL in US guise..

Rarely all the folks at our table arrived at the same time and we assume that being up to half an hour late, or leaving early is no problem, the other guests will not be inconvenienced. Friends of us seated at another table were invited by another table that was two people short and that was no problem for the staff. All in all, fixed etc but reasonable. We had the late seating would always have had ample time to see the show, if we had wanted to. Unfortunately that is the one aspect that continues to underwhelm on the ships that we have sailed on, and probably, the smaller the ship, the more limited the resources. But then again, at home we would not go to "shows" either.

Incidentally, the large number of aussie passengers and mainly aussie entertainment staff were a welcome change from the rather inhibited and solemn crowd (with matching cruise staff) typical of US-style cruising, especially on smaller ships that attract a majority of mature seniors, especially outside the holiday season. Not that it was some kind of endless noisy party, but just many smiling faces, jokes, etc. Any whingers who had managed to sneak in were probably put in the ship's lockup upon embarkation.

We can recommend this ship (despite some rather incomprehensibly negative reviews on this site and an interior that could have come from the decorators of the NY Plaza hotel; you call this a ship??), especially the mini-suites on deck 8. We had only three negatives: the ship does not have a wraparound promenade deck for real walking, or a daily newspaper (as the HAL ships do) and the regular coffee is awful, unless your benchmark is "instant". And there are no atlases in the otherwise interesting library. Last but not least, and again the mini-suites: the P&O version of Pacific Princess is remarkable value. Much better value than her HAL competitor Prinsendam, but for some reason we thought that two weeks on PP was enough, while we would happily spend a month on Prinsendam. More of a ship (and probably much more competent in rough seas), better coffee, a promenade deck and atlasses. It all depends on your preferences..

We love this ship - we are on her for the 2nd time in 2 weeks - Woohoo :D. Fixed dining is wonderful - we much prefer it over anytime dining. The shows are timed around both early and late sittings so you won't miss out. The shows that were on last time were really good for a ship this size - I am amazed how the dancers can do such big productions on such a small floor (I am a dancer so I know floor sizes and such). As a previous writer said - the only thing that would be improved is a full promenade deck to walk on although we usually go for a walk around the top of the pool deck every afternoon.

They cordon off part of the buffet area each night which either becomes an Italian Restaurant or a Steak Restaurant which you have to pay for. We never bother as we just love the food in the normal dining area. Anything I don't have to prepare or clean up after is a bonus. :D Mummsie

Incidentally, the large number of aussie passengers and mainly aussie entertainment staff were a welcome change from the rather inhibited and solemn crowd (with matching cruise staff) typical of US-style cruising, especially on smaller ships that attract a majority of mature seniors, especially outside the holiday season. Not that it was some kind of endless noisy party, but just many smiling faces, jokes, etc. Any whingers who had managed to sneak in were probably put in the ship's lockup upon embarkation.

We can recommend this ship (despite some rather incomprehensibly negative reviews on this site and an interior that could have come from the decorators of the NY Plaza hotel; you call this a ship??), especially the mini-suites on deck 8. We had only three negatives: the ship does not have a wraparound promenade deck for real walking, or a daily newspaper (as the HAL ships do) and the regular coffee is awful, unless your benchmark is "instant". And there are no atlases in the otherwise interesting library. Last but not least, and again the mini-suites: the P&O version of Pacific Princess is remarkable value. Much better value than her HAL competitor Prinsendam, but for some reason we thought that two weeks on PP was enough, while we would happily spend a month on Prinsendam. More of a ship (and probably much more competent in rough seas), better coffee, a promenade deck and atlasses. It all depends on your preferences..

We also love the smaller ships and I do agree with you Crayfish regarding the Prinsendam. It does ride better in the water than the Pacific Princess and her sister ships. We have just finished 9 days on the Pacific, arriving home on Saturday and we did enjoy the whole experience though we had 3 rough days in the beginning. Actually it was only a Force 6 but the ship seemed to think it was a Force 11. So many passengers were ill and I would hate to be on her in a really big sea.

We also had a wonderful mini suite and the big verandah that goes with it. We had wonderful fellow passengers and I did enjoy the shows with Dan Styne as the C.D. The only downfall for us was the P&O food, which is not up to what we have experienced on both Princess and HAL. We have just finished a 34 day cruise on the Veendam and even at the end of that cruise, I was still enjoying the food in the dining room. After this cruise I couldn't wait to get home to my cooking!!

Regarding the dining times. On this cruise the times were 6pm and 8.15pm. We were on the later sitting and I did notice that some people did come in sometimes 15 minutes late. Up in the buffet area, you can sit down to Pizza and Italian fare each night without booking.

There is also a Steak House and Sabitinis which cost extra. We ate in Sabatinis with friends at $25Aud p.p. To all of us it wasn't worth the extra money though we had a fun night. There was just far too much food and after the first 4 courses we really had to struggle. Altogether they serve up 7 courses, probably fine for the U.S. market but too much for us anyway.

The Pacific Princess is a lovely ship with a great crew and I for one will be sorry that she will not returning to Australia next year.

Jennie

They cordon off part of the buffet area each night which either becomes an Italian Restaurant or a Steak Restaurant which you have to pay for.

That is not how I remember it ... Sabatinis and the Sterling Steakhouse are completely separate rooms, on a different deck to the buffet. One operates one night, the other the next ... never both at the same time.

We tried both specialty restaurants and thought they were both great and well worth paying extra for ... in both cases, it became more of a night out than just dinner, as we were able to tell the waiters to slow things up to our pace not theirs. In Sabatinis, this is important otherwise you end up eating 7 courses in an hour ... a tip ... don't order mains until after you have had your entrees.

Cheers

Bob

We love this ship - we are on her for the 2nd time in 2 weeks - Woohoo :D. Fixed dining is wonderful - we much prefer it over anytime dining. The shows are timed around both early and late sittings so you won't miss out. The shows that were on last time were really good for a ship this size - I am amazed how the dancers can do such big productions on such a small floor (I am a dancer so I know floor sizes and such). As a previous writer said - the only thing that would be improved is a full promenade deck to walk on although we usually go for a walk around the top of the pool deck every afternoon.

They cordon off part of the buffet area each night which either becomes an Italian Restaurant or a Steak Restaurant which you have to pay for. We never bother as we just love the food in the normal dining area. Anything I don't have to prepare or clean up after is a bonus. :D Mummsie

Hi Mummsie, they must have closed the Stirling steak house and Sabatinis Italian restaurant, because they were always aft on deck 10.?????

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Archived