Getting from the pier to Poipu?

POHherewecome!

We are going on the POH next week. I thought it would be good to visit Poipu Beach and its surrounds on day 2. I dont want to rent a car coz I am from Australia and nervous about driving on the other side of the road. Are there any shuttles from the pier to Poipu Beach? Buses? And how long would it take because the ship leaves at 2pm on that day? Most importantly, is it worth doing this, or are there far better options? We are doing a helicopter ride which I thought will give us a good overview of the Island on the first day. I've also booked excursions for each of the days before this and I thought this could be a good way to chill out and stop spending so much. But I also don't want to miss out on seeing the highlights of the Islands.... Any advice?

Your ship leaves at 2pm? Forget it! It's a good half hour drive depending on traffic, and you wouldn't have any time to do or see anything and make it back to your ship on time. Find something closer.

I have to disagree with daWoods on whether it is doable (with rental car only). On our second Kauai day, DH and I had breakfast, walked to our rental car, and drove to Poipu for some beach time (water was too rough to swim or snorkel). We also drove down to Spouting Horn, which was in fine fettle because of the surgy water. We enjoy the Poipu area.

We were in the Poipu area for a little more than 2 hours. Had the water conditions been better, we could easily have spent another hour. The only thing that caused us a near problem was that I had misplaced the map showing the National car rental return! We had done a 24 hour rental and turned the darn thing in with 2 minutes to spare (and 20 minutes before we had to be on the ship). We made it with no problems because one of the National staff drove us right to the ship.

I recommend leaving the ship about 8:30. You'll get to Poipu about 9. If you head back to the ship about noon (no later than 12:30), you should be fine. I think that is enough time to have some fun on the beach, go to Spouting Horn, stop by the shops in Koloa for a bit, and then drive on back.

Unfortunately, what I've described requires a rental car. I understand why you don't want to rent a car, but I'm afraid that will be your only way to get to Poipu. It's too far to taxi because of cost, IMO. I don't know where the public bus goes or its schedule, and I wouldn't go to Poipu by bus with this time frame because you would be at the mercy of the bus schedule and would have to include multiple stops in your travel times. You really wouldn't have time to do anything, and you don't want to risk missing the ship. I am not aware of any commercial shuttles that run between the port and Poipu, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

With no car, a better bet would be to walk over to the Marriott, which is fronted by a nice beach. The walk isn't a great one, but it's not far and many pax do this for an easy beach time. I think that's something you should consider in lieu of Poipu.

beachchick

Have to agree... we just stayed in Poipu area for 5 nights at end of December. Beach at the Sheraton was very nice (outsiders were there too), surf wasn't too rough for boogie boards etc. but the sand gets in EVERYWHERE... DS finally got rid of it from his hair and that was after many washings/brushings and being back at home for 8 days. You DO need a car to get there. I'd suggest going over to the Marriott if you're looking for an AM chill by the beach type of thing. They're definitely accomodating to cruise passengers.

Enjoy Kauai, we're ready to go back.

Carolyn

... You DO need a car to get there. I'd suggest going over to the Marriott if you're looking for an AM chill by the beach type of thing. They're definitely accomodating to cruise passengers.

Enjoy Kauai, we're ready to go back.

Carolyn

I concur with Carolyn. Kalapaki Beach (at the Marriot) is a nice spot AND very close to the cruise terminal. Getting to Poipu without a car AND in the amount of time you have will be quite tricky!!!

There are free shuttles to WalMart, Hilo Hatties, etc. in Lihue that you catch on the pier. Roberts Hawaiian Tours (If I am remembering them correctly) has snorkel tours to Lawai, etc. that would put you near Poipu Beach. Maybe you can find a shuttle to the Hyatt??? (it's in Poipu!)

Not to disparage Poipu Beach Park, but it's not the beach it was before Iniki in '92!!! The beach is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same anymore. They DO have lifeguard, showers, bathrooms, store/restaurant nearby. I prefer Lawai Beach area (follow road to spouting horn, beach to right of Beach House Restaurant) for snorkeling, turtles, etc.

Be aware that Kauai beaches can be quite windy and rough during the Winter.

(full disclosure: my father lives on Kauai. I visit often. I love to help out visitors!!)

Aloha,

L

I have to disagree with daWoods on whether it is doable (with rental car only).

Unfortunately, what I've described requires a rental car. I understand why you don't want to rent a car, but I'm afraid that will be your only way to get to Poipu. It's too far to taxi because of cost, IMO. I don't know where the public bus goes or its schedule, and I wouldn't go to Poipu by bus with this time frame because you would be at the mercy of the bus schedule and would have to include multiple stops in your travel times. You really wouldn't have time to do anything, and you don't want to risk missing the ship. I am not aware of any commercial shuttles that run between the port and Poipu, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

With no car, a better bet would be to walk over to the Marriott, which is fronted by a nice beach. The walk isn't a great one, but it's not far and many pax do this for an easy beach time. I think that's something you should consider in lieu of Poipu.

beachchick

Which is what I based my answer on since the OP said he/she didn't want to rent a car. Using public transportation would most likely be a problem, but with your own car it is doable.

Which is what I based my answer on since the OP said he/she didn't want to rent a car. Using public transportation would most likely be a problem, but with your own car it is doable.

I understand and didn't mean to sound negative. I just didn't want to discourage those who do rent a car who might read this thread and decide not to do it. My response was intended to distinguish between having a car and not.

Pengawin3: I concur about Lawai. In December 2001, Lawai was pretty good for snorkeling and not too rough on the same day that Poipu was pretty wind-blown and surgy. OTOH, for short-time visitors (and especially those with kids), I'd definitely recommend Poipu because of the facilities, size, location, and the great shallow area for keikis to play. For flat-out snorkeling, Lawai can be excellent.

beachchick

Archived