Scared! Will I get seasick????

colleenbean

My DW and the kids swear by the Bonine as well.

My biggest concern about cruising was if I was going to have "cabin fever" being on a ship for many hours at a time. DW and I did a cruise to no-where on the Amerikansis for a work event back in the mid-80's. I was absolutely bored to death! I guess they didn't have many of the shipboard activities and amenities that todays cruise ships offer. Now as you can see in my sig, we've gone cruising and love it!

4cruisers--before we took our first cruise, we too were not only afraid of seasickness, but also of boredom. We haven't been sick, and there's no way to be bored! In fact, I was very glad to sail the same ship again the second time because I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do the first time! And that was the Rhapsody, not even Voyager class which obviously is bigger and has even more to do.

I do have to say, the one time we were bored and were ready to be home on day 5 of our 7 day cruise, was on the "Fun Ship" (Carnival). We were actually in the library playing Scrabble (amongst many others playing other games). What the Cruise Director was up to, I have no idea, but that has never been a problem on RCCL.

I'm sailing on my 5th cruise in April. Here are my experiences and lessons learned:

Nov. '97: Carnival Fantasy (Nassau) - :)

Feb. '02: Disney Wonder (Nassau, Freeport) - sea sickness. :(

Jan. '06: Celebrity Infinity (Puerto Rico, Antigua, St. Maarten) - :)

Jan. '07: Royal Caribbean (Montego Bay, Cayman, Costa Maya) - :)

Apr. '07: Norwegian Pearl (Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola) - anticipating a :)

On my first cruise in 1997, I didn't use a patch and everything was fine. On my second cruise (Disney), I was miserable for 2 days and then suddenly got better without taking medication. I learned my lesson and used a patch for cruise #3 and #4. Never had a problem on either of those cruises. On cruise #3, alot of cruisers got seasick and I felt great!! The patch is called "Transderm Scop" and is available as a prescription in the U.S.

In addition, to give yourself the best chance of not getting the Norovirus (stomach virus - nasty diarrhea), use the hand sanitizers that are available throughout the ships. I also bring small hand sanitizers with me and keep them in my pocket all the time and use them frequently. And try to eat sit-down meals instead of the buffets. If you insist on the buffets, wrap a clean napkin around the serving spoons. The first thing I do when I enter my stateroom is I Lysol the entire room including all door knobs, the remote control, phone, everything!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Archived