Seasickness

DarylMB

Friends of mine just came back from a Panama Canal cruise that started in Miami and ended in San Diego. They were told by a crew member that going north up the Mexican coast was much rougher than if they had started in San Diego and gone south.

I have other friends who have cruised the Panama Canal in both directions and they've never mentioned anything like this. Is there any truth to it?

Never done that cruise but logic tells me that it shouldn't make any difference at all. It's the same sea either way. Of course, the seasonal differences could be quite real, but direction? I/m not buying that one.

I mean the sea is going to come up against either the port or the starboard side, right? And rthe boat will rock, either way.

On the other hand, peerhaps prevailing currents do have some effect. I guess somebody more knowledgeable better help straighten us all out on this one.

The current runs south along the western coast (of both California and Mexico). So going south one is going with the current. Going north one is going against the current.

I know on both of my Mexican Riviera cruises the ship moved more going north than it did going south.

The current runs south along the western coast (of both California and Mexico). So going south one is going with the current. Going north one is going against the current.

I know on both of my Mexican Riviera cruises the ship moved more going north than it did going south.

Same here. We have done a number of legs up and down. We have had some unusually calm northern legs that the crew remarked were unusual.

That said.... we have never had any really "nasty" rough seas. Those we have run into elsewhere. ;)

On our 10-day Mexican Riviera Cruise on Princess, the seas were definitely rougher heading back north (not bad but you could tell a difference). This tends to be more pronounced once you have passed the Sea of Cortez and are headed north along Baja California (after you leave Cabo San Lucas). South of that point I don't think there is much difference.

Eric

On our 10-day Mexican Riviera Cruise on Princess, the seas were definitely rougher heading back north (not bad but you could tell a difference). This tends to be more pronounced once you have passed the Sea of Cortez and are headed north along Baja California (after you leave Cabo San Lucas). South of that point I don't think there is much difference.

Eric

I think I was told that it has to do with the Sea of Cortez meeting the Pacific Ocean. The Sea of Cortez currents run northerly and when they meet the southern running Pacific Ocean, it creates a little rough sailing if you are heading north, but doesn't really bother you sailing south, as the Pacific Ocean currents are much stronger that the Sea of Cortez currents.

Archived