Best Place to View Lava Flow on Pride of Aloha

TaterSalad

We will be on the Pride of Aloha March 3 and will not have a balcony cabin so we will need to find a good place to view both the lava flow and Napali Coast. Does anyone have advice on the best place to be when the ship sails past the lava flow (and which side of the ship it will be on)? I read that with the Napali Coast the ship turns so all sides can view it but wondered if there is a spot that is not extremely crowded from which to view it. I have tried doing a search and keep getting a blank white screen!

Thanks!

Hello.

I have been to all of the islands 3 or 4 times, but never on a cruise ship. The Napali Coast is incredible and not to be missed. It is on the North side of the island, so you will need to find out which way the ship is traveling around the island and then go to the appropriate side to view. I would bet that you will have plenty of time to decide that, even if you do it the day of the arrival to Kauai. It is a pretty long coastline. As far as the lava flows go, are you referring to the hardened lava fields or the active flows? If hardened lava, there are many locations on the Big Island coast to view that, so you would need to be specific. If you are referring to the active flow on the Big Island, you will not be close enough to the coast in order to see it (other than the steam rising from the ocean). I would recommend either taking a helicopter tour over the flows or hiking to them off Chain of Craters Road in the Volcanoes Nat'l Park. Either way is great, but if you are short on time or hesitant to hike 2 miles thru a lava field, you should pick the helicopter (expensive, but worth every penny). I have done both several times. It will blow your mind. For more info or pics, go to my website (this is not a business site, just a hobby). Let me know if you have other Hawaii questions. I am very familiar.

http://www.hotmoltenlava.com/index.html

Have a good one.

I just completed our cruise on the Pride of Hawaii and I can say both ships will do complete 360's at night at the Big Island Lava Flow; which is certainly spectacular to view. I would suggest if you do not have a Balcony Cabin, that you go to the top deck and take your camera!

:)

When we cruised last January, the ship went from Hilo past the lava and on to Kona. So the starboard or right side was the initial view of the lava.

However, the ship then did a 360 degree turn so that all balcony passengers could have a view.

We watched from the aft or rear deck outside the buffet. We pulled a table and chairs against the railing. This allows you to watch in comfort until the lava is spotted. Then there was a lot of pushing as passengers jostled for position.

I stand corrected, as I didn't know the ship went passed it at night. During the day, you have to be in the air or right up on it in order to see it. You definitely can see the lava flows at night. It is a brilliant glow. As a lava fanatic, that would be specatacular. I will have to take that cruise.........:D

Have a good one.

We sailed on POAl last year and found that you can get a great view of both the Na Pali coastline and the lava flow from deck 6. It has an unobstructed view and no plexiglass to put a glare on your pictures.

The Na Pali coast is seen from the port side and the volcano can be seen from either side as the captain turns the ship 360 degrees. You should be able to see the volcano for about 15 minutes or so before the viewing is announced as it approaches on the starbord side.

Don

I agree with DCP81. I just got off POA last week and the lava viewing was best from the promenade deck, deck 6. The cruise director will tell you to go to the Outrigger Lounge on deck 11 forward. If you stay inside to watch you will be looking through glass. There is a veranda in front of the lounge but it does not offer a lot of railing space so you will be looking over other people.

On deck six you have the entire length of the ship to work with as it is open railing. As the ship rotates, most folks run to the other side or follow the view around the ship. A tip: go in the opposite direction as the rest of the crowd so as the captain rotates the ship you will have most of the rail to yourself on the other side. The viewing lasted about 1 hour so you have plenty of time to find good spots.

While on the POH in Oct. we viewed the lava from the pool deck. There is plexiglass there....but as I was not going to try and take pictures it did not matter. There are also those gaps in the plexiglass where you can stick your camera through. Many folks lounged on the pool loungers. It can be a bit cool up there at night...so take a light jacket.

It was quite the festive atmosphere up on the pool deck that evening. The cocktail severs were out in full force. In fact, One of the servers was walking around...obviously looking for someone...could not find them...and gave me the drink for free....a "Lava Flow" in a souvenier glass. What fun!

• 1 month later...

The lava viewing was "advertised" in the daily for about 9:45 pm.....but you should stake out your claim on deck earlier. The ship starts approaching the area earlier....it is fun to watch the "glowing red" come into view. Just plan on being on deck from about 9pm...and enjoy the show!

Archived