Can I Carry My Pocket Knife?

kerrirn1962

i highly doubt it... when we went ashore in Nassau we were given flyers that the kids couldn't even come back on board w/ plastic weapon souveniers.

we went to the pirate museum, kids wanted some stuff. i told them the ship said they couldn't bring it on board ... lady at the register overheard me and asked "what ship?" i replied "Carnival" she said, "no, you can't."

Saved me some money, though.

i highly doubt it... when we went ashore in Nassau we were given flyers that the kids couldn't even come back on board w/ plastic weapon souveniers.

we went to the pirate museum, kids wanted some stuff. i told them the ship said they couldn't bring it on board ... lady at the register overheard me and asked "what ship?" i replied "Carnival" she said, "no, you can't."

Saved me some money, though.

Wow! Not even a toy?

When we were in line waiting to board in St. Martin a few years ago, the head of security came over to me and asked if I would attempt to smuggle a knife on board as a test for his staff (my DDs thought that was very cool). He was in uniform and I asked for his identification which he showed me. I told him I would if he would stay within my sight the entire time--didn't want to be put in the position of having to explain the situation and then not be believed.

He handed me a knife--it was huge! The blade was about 18" long. I wrapped it in the four wet Carnival towels I was carrying back from our snorkeling excursion. The first security guard hit me with the wand, but didn't go all that close to the towels and nothing beeped. I then put the towels on the belt and it went right through the x-ray without a question from security. I gave the knife back to the head security guy and said, "I guess they didn't pass." He looked very serious and said, "No, they didn't."

My girls talked about it for quite a while--"My Mom the smuggler" and thought it was rather exciting. DH and I were less than thrilled that I was able to get a knife--especially one that large--on board without being detected!

Yikes!

Jayne

:)

He handed me a knife--it was huge! The blade was about 18" long. I wrapped it in the four wet Carnival towels I was carrying back from our snorkeling excursion. The first security guard hit me with the wand, but didn't go all that close to the towels and nothing beeped. I then put the towels on the belt and it went right through the x-ray without a question from security. I gave the knife back to the head security guy and said, "I guess they didn't pass." He looked very serious and said, "No, they didn't."

Jayne

Jayne, that is a truly scary story.

On the Carnival frequently asked questions, the prohibited list says

Knives with a blade over 4 inches are prohibited.

Same with scissors over 4 inches.

A leatherman's blade is most likely only 3.5 inches long and should be ok.

A diving knife has to be given over to security and you get it back when you leave the ship.

I would pack it in checked bags, just in case an issue is made of it.

I will be packing mine. It is a useful tool and I use it all the time.

It stays in a small "cruise container" that includes a lot of other items. I put it in my checked luggage and it has always came with my luggage. It's been handy for a number of small repairs, working with zippers, etc. I don't carry one while normally (might not go with the tie and suit) but keep in my vehicle and they are quite handy. I wouldn't worry about taking it on board, however, wearing it on the ship might look a little ackward.

I like to bring a swiss army knife also. After 9/11 I stopped bringing it when we fly to port because I didn't want to put it in my checked luggage. I was afraid I might never see it again. I still bring it when we drive to port which we will be doing in ten days!

Cruised Carnival last year..DH had no problem with his trusty pocket knife...(it is barely 4")..didn't even question...

This past Fall on both Princess and NCL...it was examined VERY CLOSELY and measured..and debated among security then given back.

We'll probably put it in checked bags from now on..but then that's how we cut off the tie wraps that we 'lock' our bags with.

Oh well..guess there's always nail clippers. :)

Remember for diving in Cozumel you are not allowed to have a dive knife. It is a marine park and there is no need for one. I have never seen one piece of garbage on the reefs, even a few months after the hurricanes.

I forgot one time and had a knife I keep in my small ice chest to cut lemons and it was taken out and examined but is only a small knife and was allowed on the ship. A leatherman should be no problem but to save a hassel, call the port and ask.

Cruised Carnival last year..DH had no problem with his trusty pocket knife...(it is barely 4")..didn't even question...

This past Fall on both Princess and NCL...it was examined VERY CLOSELY and measured..and debated among security then given back.

We'll probably put it in checked bags from now on..but then that's how we cut off the tie wraps that we 'lock' our bags with.

Oh well..guess there's always nail clippers. :)

they didn't question your husband's knife, yet they wldn't allow my kids to bring plastic pirate sword souveniers back on board:rolleyes: they need to get their rules down pat and apply them uniformly!

Wow! Not even a toy?

When we were in line waiting to board in St. Martin a few years ago, the head of security came over to me and asked if I would attempt to smuggle a knife on board as a test for his staff (my DDs thought that was very cool). He was in uniform and I asked for his identification which he showed me. I told him I would if he would stay within my sight the entire time--didn't want to be put in the position of having to explain the situation and then not be believed.

My girls talked about it for quite a while--"My Mom the smuggler" and thought it was rather exciting. DH and I were less than thrilled that I was able to get a knife--especially one that large--on board without being detected!

Yikes!

Jayne

Great story !!! Thanks for sharing it !!!

they didn't question your husband's knife, yet they wldn't allow my kids to bring plastic pirate sword souveniers back on board:rolleyes: they need to get their rules down pat and apply them uniformly!

I may have been on the same ship or maybe this happens all the time...

last summer on Valor, I had just passed thru security and 2 little boys behind me brought on plastic pirate swords, it was very sad, the boys were treated very sternly my security and started crying when they took their swords away.

Lets face it, nobody is going to kill somebody with a plastic pirate sword but you can get ahold of real sharp knives all over the ship.:mad:

My ccl cruise on the 12/23 i had my dive knife on my bc. security checked it in at(zero) 0 deck when it came on ship and when ever i needed it was there waiting for me on 0 deck(when i was at ports) no prob.

I measured my dive knife before going on the Conquest for their New Years cruise, it was less than 4 inches. It met Carnival's policy as an allowable blade size. I left it on my BCD vest and went through security with it at embarkation and at the ports without any problem.

On our first cruise the dive knife made it to the cabin in our luggage, but was found when we returned to the ship after our first snorkel trip in port. Security explained that they would keep it and we could get it from them to take with us in port.

On the second cruise the dive bag didn't make it to the cabin. They called my husband to come to the purser's desk and unlock the bag and leave the knife with them. Again, we could get it to take off the ship in the ports when we wanted it.

Archived