Cinco de Mayo on Carnival

JStarbrite

Probably because Cinco de Mayo is not an "official" Mexican holiday

Here is a site with all of the offical Mexican holidays.......

http://www.mexonline.com/holiday.htm

From that site: The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some recognition in other parts of the Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16.

We were in Mexico on a November cruise and were out in the outer cities during Mexico's Revolution Day. This is an important day because it is when the lower classes overthrew the small minority who were in control of most of the country's power and wealth.

Three years ago, we were IN COZUMEL for Cinqo DeMayo - May 5th. There were NO special activities, on or off the ship.

BUT then again, every day is like CinqoDeMayo at Carlos and Charlies! :)

Catrin

Here in the Detroit area we have a large Mexican population and an area called “Mexican Town” Every May 5th there is a big celebration with parades, food and drink tents, Mexican dancers and all. Seems to be big with all the Mexican Restaurant chains too.

Don't get me wrong, people. I do not have a bias against Mexicans. I love them, love their food! But I don't celebrate any Mexican holidays. As my family is from Texas, I choose to commemorate March 6, 1836, when a little ragtag band of 185 Texicans held their own against Santa Anna and his army of 4,000. Then, after 2 weeks, they were slaughtered. Those men knew they were going to die, could have turned and run, but chose to stay and fight for freedom. Gotta be the bravest story in all of history.:)

Archived