First Time question & Confused

bunnytails2000

I am trying to book a first time cruise for our family of 5 over spring break. I have tried 3 travel agencies and its been 2 weeks and I still have no answers so I thought I would try here. My oldest teen turns 18 a month after we want to sail...can she still participate in the teen program or will she just have to all of a sudden be an adult? I have a 13 yr old and they were hoping to stay together. Most of the programs state 17 is the cut-off date. We haven't traveled much and this is a big deal to them so I don't want a ship that separates them and my oldest is by herself. I also have a 9 yr old that needs to stay busy too. I'm very confused as to what to ask or where to look as far as programs and ships so everyone will have a good time. I've already tried asking travel agencies and haven't gotten answers. The only answer I've gotten thus far is that even with expedited passport processing it will be iffy on the return for a March departure since my husband has a delayed birth certificate, so we were advised to not spend the extra $ on expediting at this time and go without passports. That unfortunately has nothing to do with which ship or cruiseline we choose. Can anyone help me or direct me where to look? Thanks.

I am trying to book a first time cruise for our family of 5 over spring break. I have tried 3 travel agencies and its been 2 weeks and I still have no answers so I thought I would try here. My oldest teen turns 18 a month after we want to sail...can she still participate in the teen program or will she just have to all of a sudden be an adult? I have a 13 yr old and they were hoping to stay together. Most of the programs state 17 is the cut-off date. We haven't traveled much and this is a big deal to them so I don't want a ship that separates them and my oldest is by herself. I also have a 9 yr old that needs to stay busy too. I'm very confused as to what to ask or where to look as far as programs and ships so everyone will have a good time. I've already tried asking travel agencies and haven't gotten answers. The only answer I've gotten thus far is that even with expedited passport processing it will be iffy on the return for a March departure since my husband has a delayed birth certificate, so we were advised to not spend the extra $ on expediting at this time and go without passports. That unfortunately has nothing to do with which ship or cruiseline we choose. Can anyone help me or direct me where to look? Thanks.

What cruise line are you considering? That could make a difference. We have only sailed NCL and they are strict (from what I've seen and heard) with their age requirements. The child's age, on the first day of sailing, is what determines the group they are registered in.

On our November cruise, DD was 17 and her boyfriend was 18 (NCL limits the teen's age at 17). There was a particular activity that they wanted to participate in. I went to the teen club and registered them both. I put DDBF's age as 17 on the paperwork at the teen club. When they went back to the teen club for the activity, DD was allowed to join but DDBF was told he was not eligible.

Most 17 year olds really don't participate in the kid's programs---they find them too childish. You're really cutting it close for booking a cruise this late. Spring break is the busiest time for cruises and you might not only have a problem finding anything for a family of 5, but unless you live within driving distance to the port, flights are going to be a huge problem. We always book our cruises at least 8 months or longer. You won't need passports for anyone, just birth certificates and photo ID's. Even your 17 year old will need a photo ID. Anyone older than 16 needs that.

Am I reading that wrong or do you state "My oldest teen turns 18 a month after we want to sail" ?

That would make her 17 at the time of sailing....so not problem

oops....changed the sentence too quickly. she will have just turned 18 when we would sail. the two oldest (18 and 13 old girls) want to spend the majority of the time dancing in a teen center. so i'm trying to find something that will allow them to stay together that has a teen center but also has activities for my youngest (9). i don't want to get on a boat and the 18 yr old find she can't go into the teen dance club with her sister. maybe thats why the travel agencies aren't answering my questions..lol..i'm trying to find a cruise too late. i'm persistent...i'll find one i just need to know which cruise line i should look towards.

Cruise line policies will vary as to the 13 year old and 17 year old staying together. Some have more categories than others. Meaning there may be something like separate 12-14 groups and 15-17 groups. And some may have anything 13 and over.

Since this such an important point, and no offense meant to any postings here, call the cruise line directly to check on the rules. Or, you can try another travel agent (or two) and see if you can get someone to help you. Since things change between brochure printings, when we would get questions like this, we would confirm the printed information with a call to the line.

The only answer I've gotten thus far is that even with expedited passport processing it will be iffy on the return for a March departure since my husband has a delayed birth certificate, so we were advised to not spend the extra $ on expediting at this time and go without passports.
You can receive an Expedited passport in less than 2 weeks. Depending on what is delaying your husbands birth Certificate, you may still be able to get one for him and the 17 year old.

Every cruise line that has a children's program is VERY strict on ages. If your daughter is 18 on the first day of your cruise, she will not be allowed in any program and she most certainly won't be allowed in any teen center---sorry but that's the way it is---18 year olds are considered adults in many ways and not eligible for kid's programs. This is done to protect all children from the one unsavory character that might come on board---you hate to bring this up but I don't think any parent would like their 13 year old to be hanging around with 18 year olds so that's why they divide their program ages the way they do---just too many bad things can happen if you put 13 year olds with 17 year olds. They definitely won't allow an 18 year old to hang around with 13 year olds in any program, just for the protection of all the children. Personally, I wouldn't want a 13 year old of mine to be hanging around with older teens---just too much difference in maturity levels and just too much to worry about because 13 year olds can be so easily led. I'm not saying your 18 year old can't hang around with her sister, but it just won't be in any of the kid's programs or the teen center. BTW, older teens avoid those teen centers like the plague. You rarely find 15 year olds who hang around those teen centers on cruise ships. They seem to find each other and make their own fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help on this issue. I think what I was most concerned about was my 13 year old being alone (without her older sister) in the teen center with a bunch of 17 year old boys. You calmed my fears greatly by telling me most don't go in there. We booked the Voyager of the Seas in March. I ended up going thru a travel agent because there were just too many options and I was running out of time. We sale in 8 weeks and the kids are very excited. Now my concern is making sure we get to the boat before it leaves....lol..we don't have passports and can't fly to meet it. I requested to arrive in Miami the day before, however we got cheaper airfare going thru Royal Carribean so I'm still waiting to find out what flight we are on. But thanks to everyone for their help!

Archived