aerosol cans

Buddyjay16

Not a frequent traveler and I have a ? about bringing an aerosol can on the airplane. A different post mentioned that she wasn't bringing an aerosol can because it can explode on the plane.

Have you ever brought an aerosol can on a plane? I thought I have and never even ? it. I bought an aerosol can of bug spray. Should I get something different? THanks!

Buddyjay16

I have always packed my aerosol hair sprays, bug sprays, what ever, in our checked baggage with no problems. I have never tried packing them in carry-on, even before the recent air guidelines.

Never had a problem with aerosol's exploding in checked baggage but I do place them in zip lock bags, just like all liquids I pack.

That being said: I did have a problem with one of those mega-sized hair sprays (purchased from the hair salon due to stylist recommendation). The can was twice the size of hair spray aerosol's I usually use. Packed it in checked luggage before the cruise. Can worked great on the cruise. Brought it home through checked luggage and about 2 or 3 days later found there was still plenty of liquid in the container but it no longer had the amount of propellent needed to poof it out of the spray nozzle.

I went back to normal size hair spray cans and haven't had a problem with missing propellent since.

Dianne

As others have mentioned, they will not explode. In case they leak (the top gets bumped, etc) you may want to place the aerosol cans, shampoos, sun screen containers, etc. inside a plastic bag. Just be carful when opening your lotion, shampoo containers as they may have some pressure built up and you could get squirted in the face. Yes, I know this from personal experience.

FYI, all commercial planes have their cargo hold pressurized at the same level as the passenger cabin.

Archived