Bumped out of *Cabin

afdds

We had booked a * aft, and had three pax, and were bumped. I was passing a pickle when I found we had been moved from deck 5 to deck 7, to another * aft cabin.

I found that odd being I had picked my cabin.

But I would have REALLY been PO'd had I booked deck 4 and been moved up.

OK this thread had me a tad worried.:eek: ..We really wanted our cabin assignment that we booked through our travel agent..ANYWAY..the cabin we have 6260 is safe...They said there is no way we will be bumped..:o ..They said the only reason someone would be bumped if they had a handicapped cabin and were not handicapped or if their party of 4 turned into a party of 3..

You are still missing it here. If the full occupancy of your cabin is not met then you can be bumped. If your cabin for the two of you holds 3 or 4 than it can happen.

I have seen first hand people denied boarding because they oversold the ship. I also have seen someone with a Balcony cabin get put in an inside cabin because they oversold the catagory.

Steve

I know it happens, I've seen it happen ... your PVP is wrong.

DITTO, ask for it in writing... won't be worth much anyhow if 3 people need to be placed in the same category cabin (guarentee). You'll get an upgrade. We've done quite a bit of cabin switching... if you don't have the minimum amt. of people you can be switched. Don't believe otherwise.

Steveaaaa-Are you saying that you can be bumped anytime? I find it hard to believe that if you book a balcony that they could put you in an inside cabin. Would that be an OBC or what! What about your finial docs that you get in the mail, do they not really mean anything until you check in at the port. OUCH!

Knock on wood, this hasn't happened to us!

Our cruise was booked to capicity, upon boarding the pursers desk had the infamous sign.. no cabins or upgrades available. It seems from what Im reading that, had my agent been willing, there could have been some shifting done? I was simply advised hhmm im checking here and there are no trips or quads available so I cant move you to a different room to accomodate your son. I dont know, all I know is, impossible we could had been moved. maybe it was such that every single cabin was booked for only the exact number of people in it, but somehow i find that hard to believe, a ship full of perfectly placed cabins.

The second week of our sailing, we did back to back, we were given an ocean view ( we were in an inside and as it was my first inside, i really didnt like inside at all) On wednesday of the first week, I approached the purser asking for an upgrade if possible, and we would pay teh diff. They moved both myself and the other cabin to side by side Ocean Views, free of charge. Strangely enough tho, I had tried to book this prior to sailing, and was advised there were no Ocean views available, let alone side by side. Somehow they became available and we were accomodated.

Im new to cruising and not like many of you, I have cruised only three times, I dont understand I guess how all this works. I'll learn as I go im sure.

You are still missing it here. If the full occupancy of your cabin is not met then you can be bumped. If your cabin for the two of you holds 3 or 4 than it can happen.

I have seen first hand people denied boarding because they oversold the ship. I also have seen someone with a Balcony cabin get put in an inside cabin because they oversold the catagory.

Steve

So what you are saying is I pay for a certain balcony cabin (not a gty) and I could end up downgraded to an inside?

Steveaaaa-Are you saying that you can be bumped anytime? I find it hard to believe that if you book a balcony that they could put you in an inside cabin. Would that be an OBC or what! What about your finial docs that you get in the mail, do they not really mean anything until you check in at the port. OUCH!

Knock on wood, this hasn't happened to us!

Yes.It is rare but it happens.They basically do what the airlines do.Overbook.This was on the Carnival Destiny a few years back.The guy who was downgraded was furious.They refunded the cost difference back to him.Big deal,I personally would have ended up in a jail cell for the fit I would have thrown.

This also happened a few years back on a large scale on a ship sailing out of Newport news if my memeroy is still working.A large amount of people were turned away at the dock and they were all locals that way the cruiseline was not on the hook for air expenses. I just wish I could remember what ship or cruiseline:rolleyes: .

Steve

So what you are saying is I pay for a certain balcony cabin (not a gty) and I could end up downgraded to an inside?

To answer your question....Yes.

But your odds are better that you win the free cruise at bingo before that would happen to you.

Don't worry about it.

Steve

if they can bump you without your knowledge and consent if you've paid for a cabin assignment, have the requisite # of people in the cabin (3 for a triple, 4 or more for a quad)?

i never thought so. we were only moved once when we paid for a cabin assignment (by Disney). they needed our room for another family travelling together b/c it was a connecting stateroom. They called and asked our consent to be moved/upgraded.

this topic came up a couple of weeks ago on here, and someone said they were moved w/o their consent. upon expressing my surprise at not knowing they cld do this w/o your consent, Goin'Cruisin responded that they absolutely could.

Hope this wld only apply if you have a cabin for a greater # of people than your party. Else, getting bumped up to a forward stateroom on a higher deck wld be no upgrade to me. it wld be a downgrade. anyone know?

I have booked room 8333 on the Destiny (category 9A corner) for my husband and I. There is no * or any other symbol on that room in the Carnival book. Could I still be bumped from this room? Thanks!
You could be bumped to a Cat 11, but there is very little logic for that to happen, UNLESS, a customer wanted all the cabins across the aft of the ship, and that was the only way Carnival could accomodate them!! ;) Not likely..:p

Thanks! I want to keep the room I booked with the wrap around balcony. Would rather have this room than a category 11!

I agree! I have cabin 8455 booked on the Liberty for this April.. ! The 9A's on the two lower decks actually accomodate 3 passengers (on the Liberty), even tho' it doesn't show in the brochure. Your cabin has a queen size bed due to the weird size/layout of the cabin!:p

I have booked room 8333 on the Destiny (category 9A corner) for my husband and I. There is no * or any other symbol on that room in the Carnival book. Could I still be bumped from this room? Thanks!

If it's a room that accomidates more than 2 people... I understand you can. Really... don't ask us. Call Carnival ( a few different times as you may get more than one answer ) and ask them.

if they can bump you without your knowledge and consent if you've paid for a cabin assignment, have the requisite # of people in the cabin (3 for a triple, 4 or more for a quad)?

i never thought so. we were only moved once when we paid for a cabin assignment (by Disney). they needed our room for another family travelling together b/c it was a connecting stateroom. They called and asked our consent to be moved/upgraded.

this topic came up a couple of weeks ago on here, and someone said they were moved w/o their consent. upon expressing my surprise at not knowing they cld do this w/o your consent, Goin'Cruisin responded that they absolutely could.

Hope this wld only apply if you have a cabin for a greater # of people than your party. Else, getting bumped up to a forward stateroom on a higher deck wld be no upgrade to me. it wld be a downgrade. anyone know?

Yes they could, but with the parameters you stated above, the chance of that happening are almost nil.Your odds are better that you would hit the lottery.So don't worry about it.

Steve

have seen first hand people denied boarding because they oversold the ship. I also have seen someone with a Balcony cabin get put in an inside cabin because they oversold the catagory.

Steve

You would have to come up with some hard facts for me to even consider believing that......

You would have to come up with some hard facts for me to even consider believing that......

Other than what I heard,saw,I cannot provide any hard facts.I doubt this would even be discussed by any cruiseline. I am sure some TAs on this board might be able to shed some further info,but again why would they want to put a stain on their livelyhood.

I did a search and found my original posting from 2004. I have pasted the link and the body for you.

Steve

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=71556&highlight=bumped+destiny

I just got off the Destiny yesterday and I have found another issue that just rubs me the wrong way. I was at the pursers early on boarding day and the problem of the day was they are overbooked for the 8/15 sailing by 8 cabins. After leaving the ship and returning later I happen to see one of the families who do not have a cabin because of overbooking. They were a little upset to say the least. They were supposed to be flown to ST.thomas to see if they can board if people don't show up. I have no further info on that issue. Another issue I heard and witnessed at the pursers (I have several problems myself) was a couple who booked a Balcony and got an inside room.All CCL offered was to refund the difference between a balcony and an inside cabin. And the last mess up was a family of 4 who booked a quad got only a double.I do not know how this ended up.

Steve

I realize that airline companies do this all the time, but don't they ask for volunteers to give up their seats with cold hard cash and another ticket? I don't think the airlines just bump someone off that already has a seat assignment?

Some people book and plan what cabin 365 days in advance. This seems so unfair. Maybe we have to read the fine print......

I realize that airline companies do this all the time, but don't they ask for volunteers to give up their seats with cold hard cash and another ticket? I don't think the airlines just bump someone off that already has a seat assignment?

Some people book and plan what cabin 365 days in advance. This seems so unfair. Maybe we have to read the fine print......

Yes, the airlines usually ask for volunteers and sometimes pay big bucks to people who give up their seats. On our way to our last cruise our flight was over booked and we were one of the families w/o seats. They started out by offering $300 for anyone willing to give up a seat. Then they upped it to $400 and eventually went to $500. These were actually travel vouchers, not cash. Enough people gave up their seats that we were able to go. I told my husband that if there was an offer like that on the table for our trip home, we were going to take it.

ok, now I am worried. Does anyone know if you can get bumped out of a cabin once you've gotten your boarding docs? We booked a cat 11 on the Valor (sailing in three weeks wooooo hoooo) and when our docs arrived we had been moved to a cat 12 (now I am REALLY excited) so....please tell me that we can't get bumped out of that. We picked our original cabin (had a *) and paid for it, have confirmation w/ our original cabin, etc. I didn't realize that you could get bumped out of a cabin once you had paid for it???

any and all info is welcome, esp if you have been in a cat 12 on the Valor???

Never heard of this! From the cruise TAs that I have worked with on my previous trips, I learned when booking a specific cabin number, you will be assigned that cabin number. However, if you book a guarantee, you are taking a slight gamble; you could be anywhere within the category you book. For example you book an outside guarantee, you might be at the 'low' end or the 'high' end of that category. Remeber CCL has most cabins in the outside category. In fact the outside guarantee rate you pay, may be higher in price that the category you are assigned! Personally, I have not heard of this happening. If you have your heart set on the wrap around balcony, my TAs inform you should book the cabin by its number at deposit time to insure it is yours when you board the ship. One thing I have heard throughout twenty years of cruising, most cruise lines are reluctant to move a passenger to another cabin. Only once did this happen to us; I was quarantined due to NORWALK in Europe. My friend was quickly moved to another cabin to keep her from getting sicker, she was not as sick as me! What made me sick, you might ask? The only meal eaten was a hamburger at the casual cafe's grill on the day of embarkation. It was not CCL, but Celebrity and they knocked themselves out to "make it right" for me. Once I recovered, I continued to receive special treatment from all ship employees.

Archived