Avoiding horrid Sunburn

altalee

I will be in Cabo,Masitlan,and PV end of June and am planning to snorkel for several hours. I am REALY light complected and wonder how best to avoid the panfull sun burn I got the last time I was in the water (vegas in may) I dont know if a long sleaved tee would be ok compared to a spandex bodysuit or go for broke and bye a full wet suit. I WILL be useing SPF 40 but it always wears of if im canoing of kiaking. Any tips?

Alta & Peter
Legends of the seas 6/27/04

Either a body skin or a 3mm wet suit would be ideal. Lotion can wash off and leave your back and legs sitting in harms way big time. The added benifit of increased boyancy and thermal protection will make swimming wih a wet suit a pleasure.

Hope that helps..Al

<center>[url="http://www.pipewiz.com/2004summiteers/"]The Un-official 2004 Summiteers Web Site[/url]</center>

NCL Norway 04/95
NCL Norway 04/96
Carn Imagination 04/97
Princess Dawn 04/98
Celeb Mercury 04/99
RCCL Enchantment 04/00
Celeb Millenium 04/01
Celeb Summit 04/02
Celeb Summit 04/03
Celeb Summit 04/04 <--It's like going back home

I vote for the full 3mm wet suit as well. The water temperature on the Pacific side of Mexico doesn't quite reach the temp. of the Caribbean side, so in addition to the excellent UV protection a wet suit provides, you will get more thermal protection.

There are a number of online scuba retailers that sell wet suits as well as local dive shops and other sporting goods stores. Since you are from Oregon too, check Costco next time you are in the Willamette valley.

<font color="FF6600">
if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>
Cruise photos on my [url="http://www.brobertson.org/"]Home page [/url]<font color="990066">
Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004
So when is the next cruise?

If you dont need the warmth of a wetsuit then you can use a nice spandex suit- I got mine from divegoddess. They are brightly colored which also increase your vis- my kids can always find me !

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

• 3 years later...
After swimming through very fine jellyfish while diving in Grand Cayman, I vowed to always wear a wetsuit for skin protection. I just invested in a lightweight full suit and plan to wear it. I had a nasty rash from that experience and figure my dermatologist will be proud of me as well.

After swimming through very fine jellyfish while diving in Grand Cayman, I vowed to always wear a wetsuit for skin protection. I just invested in a lightweight full suit and plan to wear it. I had a nasty rash from that experience and figure my dermatologist will be proud of me as well.

Even with the Wet Suit, use a waterproof sunscreen and reapply often. The wet suit dosen't cover face or ears; or in my case the top of my head. I have always used Bullfrog, well close to 20 years anyway, and has always worked for me; the fair skinned Irish Italian kid. It's available in most chain drugstores, Walmarts, Target...

Have fun and enjoy the Riviera,

Another vote here for the full 3 mil wetsuit. It has so much more to offer that it's worth the price. If you are out long enough in tropical sun you could still get burned through some of the lighter weight options. The only downside is the added space and weight in your luggage.

[quote name='gmcrow']The only downside is the added space and weight in your luggage.[/quote]

Hi,

There are some 3mm that fold down. I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm and it's more "cloth-like". It folds down very small and to make it smaller I put it in a travel "space bag" (it has a one way valve so as you roll the bag the air goes out and doesn't come back in) and compress it further.

Randall

I'll second Bullfrog. I'm also the type of person that burns if I just look out a window! A lifeguard recommended Bullfrog, I tested it out in Mexico and Belize and did not get burned. Hung out around and in the water all day and never reapplied.

Archived