Infants in Pools....helping others break rules..disgusting

sharecruises

Until I started reading here, I did not have that much of a feeling against babies on cruises...I would have thought that parents had brains and realize that poop in pools is very dangerous

In light of many "norvo" outbreaks and other illnesses on board this is even more important...not to mention the deadly e colli outbreak in an atlanta water park that caused a little girl's death and sickened many other children

http://www.about-ecoli.com/news/white-water11.htm

however, when you read these boards you really see how totally ignorant and selfish some people can be....as they "help" each other break the rules or somehow think their own kid's poo is golden and safe

a quick search on the family board brought up these lovely posts..and btw I am also sending them to carnival, to RCI and a few other cruiselines

Jeans in the dining room don't cause deadly outbreaks..the sad thing is that these parents are endangering other kids...I personally would not go near any of the pools or hot tubs that allow any kids...but these parents could cause other kids to get sick...this is simply disgusting

I personally plan to alert any crew of any babies in a pool and if they don't get a backbone and do something about it, I will go to the purser's desk and on up the chain of command...read these comments from the "family" board and ...have a barf bag handy

Also ironic is that one mom who consistenly told others how to break the rules, take em in swim diapers etc...then complained when her family came home sick from her cruise...go figure

at least no one died like the little girl in Atlanta some years back at the water park...I hope more people join me in making the cruiselines enforce the rules

JMO >> kid in pool with swim diapers?? $100 on your sign and sail bill

clean pool cause of your kid??? $500 fee...

2nd offense?? Family off ship in next port..

do this a couple times and maybe these people will stop this "poop"

and btw...I don't think it is the babie's fault..it is clearly the parent's fault

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just took a 10 day cruise on the Norwegian Wind (to Fanning and back). While I love freestyle cruising this was not a good cruise due to the large number of unsupervised children running amok! There were over 700 (??) kids on board. One child had a B.M. (that's a bowel movement folks) in the pool and they had to drain it and sanitize it and it was shut down for most of the day! And the very next day the same child did it again!

And one father took his infant in the jacuzzi and put it under water. Just how did this infant like the 105 degree water? I no longer went in the jacuzzi or the pool! Where was the NCL supervision?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8679211&postcount=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in reply to a parent asking where their 18 month old can swim we have another helpful person

who wants to tell them how to break the rules...

roxan, email me privately and I'll give you some tips. Don't want to be flamed openly on this board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8685040&postcount=3

and yet another rule breaker, this one was NCL

There was nobody checking to see if any of the babies had on swimmies under their suits in either the infant or the kids pool. I wouldn't bring the baby to the adult pool of course!! Again, Dillon had a blast!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7625976&postcount=6

I guess since no one is checking some parents don't care if their kid makes other kids sick...just kids in the pools, so only kids get sick?? ouch

As for the kiddie pools on both, as another poster said, no one is checking to see who is in diapers. Honestly, who else but a child in diapers is going to want to go in a 1 foot pool???? But check on RC, not all Voyager class ships have kiddie pools. I know Marnier does not. I think RC figured out that there is no point to having a kiddie pool when babies in diapers are technically not allowed in them. I dont think Freedom has one either.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7700293&postcount=8

Umm....hello...please help me break the rules??

How Do They Know If Your Child Is Potty Trained? May sound daft but if I have a two year old who is in the pool area - how will they know if he is potty trained or not? Im interested to know how this rule is implemented and whether they just take the attitude that if a child is under a certain age they will assume he is not PT?

Do staff actually ask parents if a child is potty trained?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7747851&postcount=1

the rules kind of "aggravate" this mom...guess if everyone got sick she would be really aggravated

Penny--I've actually wondered this myself. We are cruising in two weeks with our ds who will be a month shy of 2--we understand the excitement/nervousness!! Ha ha! My ds isn't potty trained, but he has never had a bowel movement while swimming or wearing his swimsuit, etc. so this rule kind of aggravates me. I am quite sure there are potty trained age children who pee in the pool.

As for the swim diapers, in the US they are the diapers that are made just for swimming. They are disposable (like diapers) but don't absorb urine--just hold in any poops. That sounds like your Aqua Nappies. The trunks with built-in extra protection are similar--neither are allowed if your dc isn't potty trained...according to the rules.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7749793&postcount=2

"What I mean around the pool is that the were splashing on the rim of the pool and the children's feet were in the pool. And during this whole time I did not once see any passenger"

What does everyone think about this: Toddler in diaper (of course) using little cups, etc (fill and dump type stuff) on the edge of the pool. the butt not touching the water at all. Illegal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HERE IS A TOTALLY OFF THE WALL STATEMENT...ALL DEFENSIVE

Whoever posted the comment about the CDC being against it, not true. The CDC advises the use of plastic pants with tight fitting elastic legs and waists over swimmer type diapers. If the CDC has abolished it altogether do you think you would ever see swimmer diapers allowed in public pools or water parks? It's the cruise lines decision, not the CDC's. That is a FACT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That being said - I did see two different toddlers (around 2 years old) in swim diapers the first day, their parents were told to take them out of the pool, and they magically reappeared with no swim diapers that afternoon and the rest of the cruise in the pools. YUCK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another thread..."go early">>???? hellloooo

Pool: I never saw any blow up pools in use, nor did I use one. We did go wading in the H20 Zone 2 or 3 times, and both times there were at least 2 other children in diapers there with us. We went early and it was nearly empty. It really fills up later in the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here we have some mom's deciding that despite the RCI rules of NO diapers/swim diapers that this is just "technically">>> so they encourage each other...yum

We are sailing on Freedom next month and I was wondering if any of you know if the H20 Zone is off-limits to babes in diapers? I know all the pools are, but this looks more like a fountain/water park with no standing water, so I am hoping it is geared toward babies.

Any info would be appreciated. I am hoping the baby has more places to splash around than just in port!

Hi

We are sailing the 24th on the Freedom, and I have the same concern as you. As far as I know they aren't technically allowed, but being that this is a new ship more geared for family's and children, making it sort of in a class on its own.

Don't other RC ships have a Kiddie or Baby pool in an OA Area???? I'm not sure, I know that carnival does. I am only hoping it will be OK.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7679189&postcount=3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is simply gross....

I've been on many cruises with my young nephews and on all of them ,(except Carnival where the kiddie pool was closed :mad: ) there were many toddlers and babies in swim diapers in the kiddie pools splashing merrily away.

The only time anyone said anything was when one mom tried to put her baby in naked, another parent asked her to put on a swim diaper.

The nasty, hateful comments you see on message boards generally come from people who don't even have kids or aren't hanging around the kiddie pool, they just like to rant. The kids have been on 7 cruises and most of the other parents mind their own business and don't say a word. Relax, when you get on the cruise you'll be relieved that the haters stayed on dry land, or are too busy chugging beers in the hot tub...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7117665&postcount=23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

This sounds lovely ? NOT

My next statement will probably be disputed BUT, I can tell you from experience that there WERE babies in swim diapers in the kiddie pools on both the Mariner and the Spirit. In fact, some people didn't even put bathing suits over the swim diapers and NOBODY asked or checked or anything. I sure wouldn't try it in the adult pool, but...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7468062&postcount=13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and here we have the cruiseline NOT enforcing their own rules, and a happy mom who thinks she can work around her un potty trained kid's schedule

Just got off the Freedom and it does say no swim diapers in the H2O Zone, but there were MANY babies and toddlers in the pool! My dd is 20 months old and very regular, so I just worked around her schedule. She had a blast! I talked to a counselor at the Aqua Tots class and she said that there will eventually be a toddler's only area in the H2O Zone. You can see where it is, it has a flamingo fountain in it and it is sectioned off from the rest of the play area. Go have some fun!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789273&postcount=15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we have a thread where the "let my baby swim" group decides it is ok to take the swim diapered kids into the pools at Grand Turk, etc and water park at Half Moon Cay....

tho I wonder if these islands take the heavier precautions that us water parks now apparently take after things like that Atlanta tragedy??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378596

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making up own rules??

Also, I believe RCCL has the same policies as Celebrity and will allow infants, in swim diapers, to use the children's pool and they set aside an hour a day for toddler time and they will bring out age appropriate toys to play with.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7191159&postcount=4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just got off the Freedom on 9/10. I stayed in a Family Ocean View cabin #8200 so I don't know about the Royal Family Suite, but I did travel with a 20 month old. She played a lot in the H2O Zone with her big sisters ages 8 & 6 and had a blast! I did take a blow up pool, but never used it. My little one is pretty regular with her poopy schedule, so I worked around it. Also, she does tell me when she has to go. I only got asked once if she was potty trained. There were MANY babies and toddlers of all ages in the pool. Some with diapers, some without. There were never any accidents. It is a great cruise, you will have a blast.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789151&postcount=2

asking more info how to get around the rules...

Thank you so much , I had some concerns about the h20 zone, so its good to know we can enjoy that with her older sisters.

Was it an attendant who asked you if she was potty trained? of a PX?? Some on these boards are nasty nasty when it comes to cruising with kids, and boy the whole PT thing can get very heated at times. I have heard its the other PX who try and run the ship when it comes to these kinds of rules.

I understand the rules and why they are in place, and would NEVER do anything to inconvenience anyone, but don't see a problem if I wanted to walk through the zone with her. I know when she has her Bm's and she is one that tells me also when its time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789431&postcount=3

and a reply...ugh

ooops, as far as who asked about being potty trained, it was a staff member. There weren't any parents complaining as far as I could see. There were plenty of potty trained as well as non potty trained kids in the pool!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789562&postcount=5

Funny that the mom who had the baby in diapers in the H20 zone then complains of them all getting sick...geeze

Scary!! I was on the 9/3 sailing and my 6 yr. old daughter came home with strep throat, my 21 mos. old daughter got croup and still has a runny nose and cough, my dh and myself got colds, and I got a UTI! We were in the H2O Zone a lot!! I had a wonderful time on our cruise, but now I'm wondering if that ship has some yucky's on it!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7892620&postcount=13

here is the same mom, whose kids got sick, bragging how she broke the rules...very nice

I just got off the Freedom of the Seas on 9/10 and I have a 20 month old dd who is for the most part potty trained. She is very regular about when she goes, so I worked around her schedule. She had a blast in the H2O Zone with her big sisters ages 6 & 8! I did bring a blow up pool, but never used it once. I did get asked one time if she was potty trained, but that was it out of a week. There were MANY babies and young toddlers in the pool. Infact, the one day I got asked, there was a little boy about 3 right next to my daughter and he had a regular diaper on and nobody asked if he was potty trained! I talked with one of the counselors at the aqua tots class and she said they will eventually have a toddlers only section in the H2O Zone. Infact, you can see where it will be as it is completely sectioned off from the rest of the play area. It will be recirculated water.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789071&postcount=19

They all sound like the same kind of rule breakers who are over on the booze smugglers threads.

Soon someone will make a post about don't you exceed the speed limit or run red lights and stop signs at least once?

Or cheat on your income tax or some other drivel!

Sad and lame for sure!

Yeah...the same old yadda yadda....did you even read about the e colli outbreak at the atlanta water park...and the little girl who is still disabled from it??? Or the tot who died from it??

Sorry if you think this is redundant...but IF more people with brains would send this junk to the cruiselines, write to the customer service, mark stuff on the "comment cards", demand that crew take action when a baby is in a pool with swim diapers...then we might see some changes

It amazes me that one of the most vocal moms who planned to break the rules before her cruise, then bragged about her rule breaking also then complained that she and her kids were sick...maybe from her own babies poop in the H20 zone or whatever???

I don't really advocate confronting the ignorant parents themselves....but I do feel that one could get a crew member..and if they are too shy/afraid of conflict, then go ahead and get their supervisor...on up the chain of command

I like Carnival, and it seems to be be a bit better than some other lines, from what I read on the Family board RCI and NCL really "look the other way">>>

I do know that Princess has more "on deck" enforcement than most..."kid's security" folks etc, and they have started enforcing the chair hogs, Princess also enforces the adult pool and hot tub pretty well

There is NO reason these other cruise lines can't enforce this

as for those of you who are bored by this thread?? well, sorry

The thing that disgusts me is the way that some people are helping others break the rules on this site, by giving advice..."put swim diapers underneath" etc....and it seems that they override the crew who might ask if the kid is potty trained

NOT the babies fault...the fault is with the parents

On Imagination some ignorant jerk had his infant in the hot tub for about 1 minute and was booted out...yah for them! I really had NO problems with kids on my cruise..and I don't expect to have any problems on the next cruise

camera will be ready...and I will go to the purser's desk if I have to and on up the chain of command...

this is one rule that is about health and well being....the sad part is that these people want to expose other little ones in the kid's pool to their kid's poop ....and people wonder why they get sick on cruises???

I agree with you about kids who are un-potty trained shouldn't be in the pools....but, like I said in my other post, people WILL break the rules. Not only on cruise ships but everywhere in the world. Why do you think the prisons are so full?

Go to the pursers desk with your pictures...maybe it will help, maybe not.

I think that if the cruise lines don't allow babies or toddlers in their pools then they shouldn't charge all that money for them.The swimming diapers are safe.I am sure that there are kids and even some adults that are potty train the pi in the pool.According to Carnival rep and I quote Their pools are saltwater and are not changed every day, just every other day. So for those people who think that it is safe just because babies or not allowed beware you might be swimming in somebody urine.:mad:

I think that if the cruise lines don't allow babies or toddlers in their pools then they shouldn't charge all that money for them

Lounger...check...

The swimming diapers are safe.

Popcorn...check...

So for those people who think that it is safe just because babies or not allowed beware you might be swimming in somebody urine.:mad:

And we're off...

Yeah...the same old yadda yadda....did you even read about the e colli outbreak at the atlanta water park...and the little girl who is still disabled from it??? Or the tot who died from it??

Sorry if you think this is redundant...but IF more people with brains would send this junk to the cruiselines, write to the customer service, mark stuff on the "comment cards", demand that crew take action when a baby is in a pool with swim diapers...then we might see some changes

It amazes me that one of the most vocal moms who planned to break the rules before her cruise, then bragged about her rule breaking also then complained that she and her kids were sick...maybe from her own babies poop in the H20 zone or whatever???

I don't really advocate confronting the ignorant parents themselves....but I do feel that one could get a crew member..and if they are too shy/afraid of conflict, then go ahead and get their supervisor...on up the chain of command

I like Carnival, and it seems to be be a bit better than some other lines, from what I read on the Family board RCI and NCL really "look the other way">>>

I do know that Princess has more "on deck" enforcement than most..."kid's security" folks etc, and they have started enforcing the chair hogs, Princess also enforces the adult pool and hot tub pretty well

There is NO reason these other cruise lines can't enforce this

as for those of you who are bored by this thread?? well, sorry

The thing that disgusts me is the way that some people are helping others break the rules on this site, by giving advice..."put swim diapers underneath" etc....and it seems that they override the crew who might ask if the kid is potty trained

NOT the babies fault...the fault is with the parents

On Imagination some ignorant jerk had his infant in the hot tub for about 1 minute and was booted out...yah for them! I really had NO problems with kids on my cruise..and I don't expect to have any problems on the next cruise

camera will be ready...and I will go to the purser's desk if I have to and on up the chain of command...

this is one rule that is about health and well being....the sad part is that these people want to expose other little ones in the kid's pool to their kid's poop ....and people wonder why they get sick on cruises???

uhm ok, but y start another thread about this same subject? :cool:

According to Carnival rep and I quote Their pools are saltwater and are not changed every day, just every other day.

Ok now I don't know what ships you or your Canival rep has been on....but the 9 Carnival ships I have been on "drain the pool every evening."

Oh yeah, and you can quote me on that:p

I think that if the cruise lines don't allow babies or toddlers in their pools then they shouldn't charge all that money for them.The swimming diapers are safe.I am sure that there are kids and even some adults that are potty train the pi in the pool.According to Carnival rep and I quote Their pools are saltwater and are not changed every day, just every other day. So for those people who think that it is safe just because babies or not allowed beware you might be swimming in somebody urine.:mad:

It's the poo I'm concerned about. And lord knows, if an adult pooped in the pool, someone would most likely spot it. LOL

"Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products, but it is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi" found at Medicinenet.com.

I think that if the cruise lines don't allow babies or toddlers in their pools then they shouldn't charge all that money for them.

Does that mean those people who are disabled and can't take advantage of the pool and gym shouldn't pay full fare? Or those who don't gamble and don't use the casino? How about those "anti-karaoke" fun-haters who don't take up space in the karaoke bar? Or the people who don't use the library? Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

I agree with you about kids who are un-potty trained shouldn't be in the pools....but, like I said in my other post, people WILL break the rules. Not only on cruise ships but everywhere in the world. Why do you think the prisons are so full?

Go to the pursers desk with your pictures...maybe it will help, maybe not.

EXACTLY!!! It's amazing that when something bad happens to 1 person in this world, then it's for sure going to happen to everyone and there is only 1 solution. Children are a cause of unsanitary water in pools. But they aren't the only cause. And pools aren't the only unsanitary place in this world. People get sick from all sorts of unsanitary public areas. And if we never came in contact with germs EVER, our immune systems would never know how to correct it when we did. We can't control what rules other people follow. If some rule-breaking people are next to you on the ship, I guess you should just find another place on the ship to hang out - like next to all the people who follow the rules...

I think they should charge for babies since there are so many ignorant parents...it is the parents who are ignorant

those quotes I posted are just from one quick search on one board (family board)

The swimming diapers are NOT allowed period...read the rules and the CDC rules

the odd thing about those posts I quoted are that many of them are from one woman who was very vocal about putting her non potty trained baby in to "have fun" before her cruise, and after her cruise she "shared" her info on how to avoid the rules with others...yet she also complained that

my 6 yr. old daughter came home with strep throat, my 21 mos. old daughter got croup and still has a runny nose and cough, my dh and myself got colds, and I got a UTI! We were in the H2O Zone a lot!! I had a wonderful time on our cruise, but now I'm wondering if that ship has some yucky's on it!

Umm....helloo....maybe her un potty trained baby was the one who caused the "yucky's"???? Sad thing is that others may have gotten sick from her inconsiderate actions

The reason for this thread...for the "thread keepers" here ...is to point out, by copy/paste of threads quickly available ....that some parents are encouraging others to break these rules

I also posted the info on the Atlanta water park....shame that some of you gloss over that tragedy

No stewart little...I don't plan to spend my whole vacation policing the pools....in fact I probably will be at adult hot tub if any or hot tub in the spa area...I fully expect tho that NO kids will be in there, and if they are I will report it

IF I happen to see a baby with swim diapers in a pool or hot tub yes I will report it...better that than for someone...you maybe, your kids? to come down with an illness

I think that everyone should encourage the ships to follow their own rules, especially about health...and when you see people on these boards encouraging others to break health rules then shame them..maybe show them the story of the little girl killed in the poo water of the atlanta water park

the other thread denegraded ....it really was started with the idea of "oh no, tell me it isn't so"...in other words, how can I break the rules...and there are plenty of helpful folks who will explain it..."technically they aren't allowed but we saw plenty of babies in swimmies">> yuck

I don't advocate confronting people...neaderthals aren't fun to fight with...but I do think one can and should keep at the crew/purser's office...captain if necessary

Makes me wonder how much these "outbreaks" on ships are started???

Poo in an unclorinated pool.....disaster in the making

If you want to swim in poo, please enjoy it in your own back yard

No !! Adults can enjoy one or another,babies have no clue whats going on . Why do you think that NCL doent charge for them.They only charge gov fee. NCL wouldnt charge you until they reach 2 yaers of age just like airlines. :mad:

"Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products, but it is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi" found at Medicinenet.com.

"Normal" urine, yes. In any sufficiently large population, a given %age will have a urinary tract infection. Even if it's only 1% ... out of 3000 swimmers using one or two pools ... there's 30 with poisonous pee.

[i was going for alliteration. I'm well aware that "germy" =/= "poisonous"]

But somebody please declare zymurgy, so we can be done with this already...

It seems like you are trying to get people to support your noble cause. Well, I support you, but I'm not going to spend my vacation being the poop police, taking pictures and running to the pursers desk and writing letters and so on. I just make it a point to stick to the adult pools and hot tubs and, so far, knock on wood, I've never encountered any floaters in those places. Personally, I wouldn't bring a toddler on a cruise to begin with, but that's a whole other argumentative topic. To be honest, you are MUCH more likely to contract e coli or noro from eating at the buffet and/or not washing your hands often and well.

It seems like you are trying to get people to support your noble cause. Well, I support you, but I'm not going to spend my vacation being the poop police, taking pictures and running to the pursers desk and writing letters and so on. I just make it a point to stick to the adult pools and hot tubs and, so far, knock on wood, I've never encountered any floaters in those places. Personally, I wouldn't bring a toddler on a cruise to begin with, but that's a whole other argumentative topic. To be honest, you are MUCH more likely to contract e coli or noro from eating at the buffet and/or not washing your hands often and well.

Well thanks LOL>> not sure that I personally plan to make this my "noble cause" on board haha..

but on these boards I am pointing out the fact that some...yes SOME...parents think it is cool to encourage other parents to learn how to break the rules....how to hide swimmies, or pretend a kid is potty trained etc....

I think that when we see this sort of behavior on these boards we need to let them know how dangerous and disgusting it is, post facts (like the Atlanta water park tragedy)....and to also mark this on comment cards IF we witness obnoxious uncaring parents subjecting the pools/hot tubs to babies who are not potty trained....

What really bothers me are these posts that clearly show how some parents are breaking the rule and helping others to break it....this is about health, not about looks or fashion or jeans in the dining room

I'll add that Carnival's saltwater pools are constantly being recirculated with new sea water at a rate of 60-100 gallons per minute at all times that they are in operation, meaning that the entire contents of the pool is flushed (pun intended) every hour or so. It would be virtually impossible for any bacteria or virus to be in high enough concentration to even worry about in those conditions. The fresh water kidde pools and hot tubs are another story.

Archived