Poop in pools...follow the rules?? NO swim diapers...period

sharecruises

Until I started reading here, I did not have that much of a feeling against babies on cruises...I would have thought that parents had brains and realize that poop in pools is very dangerous

It is a shame that a few people make it bad for others

Yes, you pay money for your baby to cruise, maybe the little duck pool or blow up pool is better than this...I really think that people who put a diapered or swim diapered baby in the pool are ignorant and selfish period

In light of many "norvo" outbreaks and other illnesses on board this is even more important...not to mention the deadly e colli outbreak in an atlanta water park that caused a little girl's death and sickened many other children...read this and then brag about your baby swimming in diapers???

http://www.about-ecoli.com/news/white-water11.htm

when you read these boards you really see how totally ignorant and selfish some people can be....as they "help" each other break the rules or somehow think their own kid's poo is golden and safe

a quick search on the family board brought up these lovely posts..and btw I am also sending them to carnival, to RCI and a few other cruiselines

Jeans in the dining room don't cause deadly outbreaks..the sad thing is that these parents are endangering other kids...I personally would not go near any of the pools or hot tubs that allow any kids...but these parents could cause other kids to get sick...this is simply disgusting

I personally plan to alert any crew of any babies in a pool and if they don't get a backbone and do something about it, I will go to the purser's desk and on up the chain of command...read these comments from the "family" board and ...have a barf bag handy

Also ironic is that one mom who consistenly told others how to break the rules, take em in swim diapers etc...then complained when her family came home sick from her cruise...go figure

at least no one died like the little girl in Atlanta some years back at the water park...I hope more people join me in making the cruiselines enforce the rules

JMO >> kid in pool with swim diapers?? $100 on your sign and sail bill

clean pool cause of your kid??? $500 fee...

2nd offense?? Family off ship in next port..

do this a couple times and maybe these people will stop this "poop"

and btw...I don't think it is the babie's fault..it is clearly the parent's fault

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just took a 10 day cruise on the Norwegian Wind (to Fanning and back). While I love freestyle cruising this was not a good cruise due to the large number of unsupervised children running amok! There were over 700 (??) kids on board. One child had a B.M. (that's a bowel movement folks) in the pool and they had to drain it and sanitize it and it was shut down for most of the day! And the very next day the same child did it again!

And one father took his infant in the jacuzzi and put it under water. Just how did this infant like the 105 degree water? I no longer went in the jacuzzi or the pool! Where was the NCL supervision?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8679211&postcount=1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in reply to a parent asking where their 18 month old can swim we have another helpful person

who wants to tell them how to break the rules...

roxan, email me privately and I'll give you some tips. Don't want to be flamed openly on this board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8685040&postcount=3

and yet another rule breaker, this one was NCL

There was nobody checking to see if any of the babies had on swimmies under their suits in either the infant or the kids pool. I wouldn't bring the baby to the adult pool of course!! Again, Dillon had a blast!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7625976&postcount=6

I guess since no one is checking some parents don't care if their kid makes other kids sick...just kids in the pools, so only kids get sick?? ouch

As for the kiddie pools on both, as another poster said, no one is checking to see who is in diapers. Honestly, who else but a child in diapers is going to want to go in a 1 foot pool???? But check on RC, not all Voyager class ships have kiddie pools. I know Marnier does not. I think RC figured out that there is no point to having a kiddie pool when babies in diapers are technically not allowed in them. I dont think Freedom has one either.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7700293&postcount=8

Umm....hello...please help me break the rules??

How Do They Know If Your Child Is Potty Trained? May sound daft but if I have a two year old who is in the pool area - how will they know if he is potty trained or not? Im interested to know how this rule is implemented and whether they just take the attitude that if a child is under a certain age they will assume he is not PT?

Do staff actually ask parents if a child is potty trained?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7747851&postcount=1

the rules kind of "aggravate" this mom...guess if everyone got sick she would be really aggravated

Penny--I've actually wondered this myself. We are cruising in two weeks with our ds who will be a month shy of 2--we understand the excitement/nervousness!! Ha ha! My ds isn't potty trained, but he has never had a bowel movement while swimming or wearing his swimsuit, etc. so this rule kind of aggravates me. I am quite sure there are potty trained age children who pee in the pool.

As for the swim diapers, in the US they are the diapers that are made just for swimming. They are disposable (like diapers) but don't absorb urine--just hold in any poops. That sounds like your Aqua Nappies. The trunks with built-in extra protection are similar--neither are allowed if your dc isn't potty trained...according to the rules.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7749793&postcount=2

"What I mean around the pool is that the were splashing on the rim of the pool and the children's feet were in the pool. And during this whole time I did not once see any passenger"

What does everyone think about this: Toddler in diaper (of course) using little cups, etc (fill and dump type stuff) on the edge of the pool. the butt not touching the water at all. Illegal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HERE IS A TOTALLY OFF THE WALL STATEMENT...ALL DEFENSIVE

Whoever posted the comment about the CDC being against it, not true. The CDC advises the use of plastic pants with tight fitting elastic legs and waists over swimmer type diapers. If the CDC has abolished it altogether do you think you would ever see swimmer diapers allowed in public pools or water parks? It's the cruise lines decision, not the CDC's. That is a FACT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That being said - I did see two different toddlers (around 2 years old) in swim diapers the first day, their parents were told to take them out of the pool, and they magically reappeared with no swim diapers that afternoon and the rest of the cruise in the pools. YUCK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another thread..."go early">>???? hellloooo

Pool: I never saw any blow up pools in use, nor did I use one. We did go wading in the H20 Zone 2 or 3 times, and both times there were at least 2 other children in diapers there with us. We went early and it was nearly empty. It really fills up later in the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here we have some mom's deciding that despite the RCI rules of NO diapers/swim diapers that this is just "technically">>> so they encourage each other...yum

We are sailing on Freedom next month and I was wondering if any of you know if the H20 Zone is off-limits to babes in diapers? I know all the pools are, but this looks more like a fountain/water park with no standing water, so I am hoping it is geared toward babies.

Any info would be appreciated. I am hoping the baby has more places to splash around than just in port!

Hi

We are sailing the 24th on the Freedom, and I have the same concern as you. As far as I know they aren't technically allowed, but being that this is a new ship more geared for family's and children, making it sort of in a class on its own.

Don't other RC ships have a Kiddie or Baby pool in an OA Area???? I'm not sure, I know that carnival does. I am only hoping it will be OK.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7679189&postcount=3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is simply gross....

I've been on many cruises with my young nephews and on all of them ,(except Carnival where the kiddie pool was closed :mad: ) there were many toddlers and babies in swim diapers in the kiddie pools splashing merrily away.

The only time anyone said anything was when one mom tried to put her baby in naked, another parent asked her to put on a swim diaper.

The nasty, hateful comments you see on message boards generally come from people who don't even have kids or aren't hanging around the kiddie pool, they just like to rant. The kids have been on 7 cruises and most of the other parents mind their own business and don't say a word. Relax, when you get on the cruise you'll be relieved that the haters stayed on dry land, or are too busy chugging beers in the hot tub...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7117665&postcount=23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

This sounds lovely ? NOT

My next statement will probably be disputed BUT, I can tell you from experience that there WERE babies in swim diapers in the kiddie pools on both the Mariner and the Spirit. In fact, some people didn't even put bathing suits over the swim diapers and NOBODY asked or checked or anything. I sure wouldn't try it in the adult pool, but...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7468062&postcount=13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and here we have the cruiseline NOT enforcing their own rules, and a happy mom who thinks she can work around her un potty trained kid's schedule

Just got off the Freedom and it does say no swim diapers in the H2O Zone, but there were MANY babies and toddlers in the pool! My dd is 20 months old and very regular, so I just worked around her schedule. She had a blast! I talked to a counselor at the Aqua Tots class and she said that there will eventually be a toddler's only area in the H2O Zone. You can see where it is, it has a flamingo fountain in it and it is sectioned off from the rest of the play area. Go have some fun!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789273&postcount=15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we have a thread where the "let my baby swim" group decides it is ok to take the swim diapered kids into the pools at Grand Turk, etc and water park at Half Moon Cay....

tho I wonder if these islands take the heavier precautions that us water parks now apparently take after things like that Atlanta tragedy??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378596

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making up own rules??

Also, I believe RCCL has the same policies as Celebrity and will allow infants, in swim diapers, to use the children's pool and they set aside an hour a day for toddler time and they will bring out age appropriate toys to play with.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7191159&postcount=4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just got off the Freedom on 9/10. I stayed in a Family Ocean View cabin #8200 so I don't know about the Royal Family Suite, but I did travel with a 20 month old. She played a lot in the H2O Zone with her big sisters ages 8 & 6 and had a blast! I did take a blow up pool, but never used it. My little one is pretty regular with her poopy schedule, so I worked around it. Also, she does tell me when she has to go. I only got asked once if she was potty trained. There were MANY babies and toddlers of all ages in the pool. Some with diapers, some without. There were never any accidents. It is a great cruise, you will have a blast.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789151&postcount=2

asking more info how to get around the rules...

Thank you so much , I had some concerns about the h20 zone, so its good to know we can enjoy that with her older sisters.

Was it an attendant who asked you if she was potty trained? of a PX?? Some on these boards are nasty nasty when it comes to cruising with kids, and boy the whole PT thing can get very heated at times. I have heard its the other PX who try and run the ship when it comes to these kinds of rules.

I understand the rules and why they are in place, and would NEVER do anything to inconvenience anyone, but don't see a problem if I wanted to walk through the zone with her. I know when she has her Bm's and she is one that tells me also when its time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789431&postcount=3

and a reply...ugh

ooops, as far as who asked about being potty trained, it was a staff member. There weren't any parents complaining as far as I could see. There were plenty of potty trained as well as non potty trained kids in the pool!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789562&postcount=5

Funny that the mom who had the baby in diapers in the H20 zone then complains of them all getting sick...geeze

Scary!! I was on the 9/3 sailing and my 6 yr. old daughter came home with strep throat, my 21 mos. old daughter got croup and still has a runny nose and cough, my dh and myself got colds, and I got a UTI! We were in the H2O Zone a lot!! I had a wonderful time on our cruise, but now I'm wondering if that ship has some yucky's on it!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7892620&postcount=13

here is the same mom, whose kids got sick, bragging how she broke the rules...very nice

I just got off the Freedom of the Seas on 9/10 and I have a 20 month old dd who is for the most part potty trained. She is very regular about when she goes, so I worked around her schedule. She had a blast in the H2O Zone with her big sisters ages 6 & 8! I did bring a blow up pool, but never used it once. I did get asked one time if she was potty trained, but that was it out of a week. There were MANY babies and young toddlers in the pool. Infact, the one day I got asked, there was a little boy about 3 right next to my daughter and he had a regular diaper on and nobody asked if he was potty trained! I talked with one of the counselors at the aqua tots class and she said they will eventually have a toddlers only section in the H2O Zone. Infact, you can see where it will be as it is completely sectioned off from the rest of the play area. It will be recirculated water.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7789071&postcount=19

Well yes it does appear the OP is worked up over this topic, but IMO I do think it is a subject that needs to be dealt with. Kids are great had one of my own, would have had more if I could have. There is a place and time for all kids. Pool area and the hot tub are not the place for diapered kids or kids in pull ups! If they are not totally potty trained they need to stay out. OP was right it is not kids fault, it is the stupid inconsiderate parents fault.

I would stand behind this at all cost not just because it is the right thing to do but also the safest thing to do. IF you have your own pool swim away with your little darlings, if you think everyone is into community sharing think again! :rolleyes:

Wow...looks like someone is pretty worked up over this topic!:rolleyes:

vetgirl, don't you think she has a right to be worked up if a stupid parent allowed their diapered or un-diapered, un-potty trained child in the pool or hot tub? :rolleyes:

Sure she has that right--it's just quite a lengthy rant--that's all.:)

My child will NOT be in swim diapers or come anywhere near a pool or hot tub on our next cruise, so I'm not on the "other" side of her valid points.

If stupid people can't follow the rules, let Carnival deal with it as they should. But bringing all of these threads and posts to the pursor's desk????--c'mon...I have better things to do on a cruise.

Sure she has that right--it's just quite a lengthy rant--that's all.:)

My child will NOT be in swim diapers or come anywhere near a pool or hot tub on our next cruise, so I'm not on the "other" side of her valid points.

If stupid people can't follow the rules, let Carnival deal with it as they should. But bringing all of these threads and posts to the pursor's desk????--c'mon...I have better things to do on a cruise.

When a person is adamant about something and someone is at risk or there is a health problem because of it I can understand why she feels as she does. When people on here go on and on about someone wearing a simple pair of jeans in the dining room or when someone wants to buy prescription drugs out of the US , they go on and on about it, but when someone post as the OP did or when someone post about smoking which these are two subjects that cause heath issues some people think it is not a big deal. If people would come forward as she has done hopefully we can get things changed for the betterment of everyone involved! ;)

Someone has way too much time on their hands.

If we are doing a thread on the terrible parents who let their children in the pools, shall we do a thread on grown adults who do not wash their hands or use the sanitizer available? Or the adults who handle the buffet. :rolleyes: Or the ones who "go" in the pool? Most sensible people realise that a swim nappy worn with a proper swimsuit with properly elasticated legcuffs is actually cleaner than a lot of adults using the pool.

If we are doing a thread on the terrible parents who let their children in the pools, shall we do a thread on grown adults who do not wash their hands or use the sanitizer available? Or the adults who handle the buffet. :rolleyes: Or the ones who "go" in the pool? Most sensible people realise that a swim nappy worn with a proper swimsuit with properly elasticated legcuffs is actually cleaner than a lot of adults using the pool.

Most sensible people?? Please

Didn't you read the link about the e colli outbreak from a water park??

Most sensible people don't want to swim with your kid's poo sorry

and all of these posts were right from this very board, from parents bragging about how they broke the rules and/or encouraging others to break them

When a person is adamant about something and someone is at risk or there is a health problem because of it I can understand why she feels as she does. When people on here go on and on about someone wearing a simple pair of jeans in the dining room or when someone wants to buy prescription drugs out of the US , they go on and on about it, but when someone post as the OP did or when someone post about smoking which these are two subjects that cause heath issues some people think it is not a big deal. If people would come forward as she has done hopefully we can get things changed for the betterment of everyone involved! ;)

THANK YOU!!!

I guess they didn't give you the response you wanted on the main board, huh?:confused:

Oh no. We all agreed with her except for a misinformed few who think that swim diapers hold in 100% of fecal matter and urine even with the addition of plastic pants. They don't. That's why children in swim diapers have been dubbed "fecal teabags". Funny, the guy who coined that phrase is now a grandfather.

IMO, if a swim nappy worn with a proper swimsuit with proper leg cuffs is worn I am sure the poo would not have been found floating in the water:rolleyes: . Plus, it is a rule that children that are not potty trained, with or without a diaper or NAPPY as you put it are not allowed in the pool or hot tub! Please go tell the Cruise line that they are not being sensible because they won't break the rule and allow a child with a nappy in the pool.

Not to sway from post, but to think that people would actually condone UN-potty trained children in the pool and hot tub knowing good and well the hazard it could cause with or with out a diaper, nappy, or pull up. But...a lot complain about a pair of jeans in the dining room. LOL... PEOPLE, where is the common sense God granted you? Cheers to the OP for coming out and speaking what needs to be heard! :p

I wonder how you would feel if your little angels were swimming in the pool and they seen something floating and decided to see what it was as most small children would do, then I would love to see your face when your little Johnny or your princess picked the poo up and discovered that some idiot mother allowed their child to poo in the pool. The look on your face would be priceless! :D Any and all parents would be mortified!

The OP is correct. Many parents ( I use the term loosely) condone unpotty- trained children in pools. As the OP posts - they even tell them how to break the rules.

Starting a fight? I don't think so - how about informing those who aren't educated on the subject?

This is most appropriate for the family board...

From what I have read usually the ones that think this is stupid, starting a fight, stirring the pot, or what ever their pathetic excuses are, usually they are the parents that stick their child in the pool and allow them to poo or pee in the water. Common sense folks! :rolleyes:

Myself, You would never catch me in the pool or any public hot tub to begin with. I guess that is the reason we have our own pool. I would NEVER allow any of my Day Care children in my pool if they were not toilet trained. :eek:

I just take a spray bottle and fill it with water to cool myself off while basking in the sun!

Sharecruises, I completely agree with your thoughts about how to curb diapers in the pool.....

and btw...I don't think it is the babie's fault..it is clearly the parent's fault

Sharecruises, I completely agree with your thoughts about how to curb diapers in the pool.....

I too agree with this, I have been on ships that have had to close the pool cause some selfish parent didn't think of anyone else but themselves and there children. All the other kids got to be punished for there idiocy by not being able to swim for 5 hours, wish they would announce there name and cabin number so everyone would know who they are for the remainder of the cruise, may make them less selfish next time around:D :D

Well, into the fray. . .!

The CDC has very good detailed information on what they label RWI--recreational water illness. Might want to check it out. It seems that diarrhea is much more dangerous than formed stools--can be lots of germs in it and it is unseen. Here are some tips for all of us to promote healthy swimming. This is pasted from the CDC site:

Three "P-L-E-As" for Everyone

PLEASE don't swim when you have diarrhea...this is especially important for kids in diapers. You can spread germs into the water and make other people sick.

PLEASE don't swallow the pool water. In fact, try your best to avoid even having water get in your mouth.

PLEASE wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet or after changing diapers. You can protect others by realizing that germs on your body end up in the water.

Three "P-L-E-As" for Parents with Young Kids

Follow these "P-L-E-As" to protect your child and others from getting sick and to help keep RWIs out of your community:

PLEASE take your kids on bathroom breaks often. Waiting to hear "I have to go" may mean that it's too late.

PLEASE change diapers in a bathroom and not at poolside. Germs can spread to surfaces and objects in and around the pool and spread disease.

PLEASE wash your child thoroughly (especially the rear end) with soap and water before swimming. We all have invisible amounts of fecal matter on our bottoms that could end up in the pool.

http://www.cdc.gov

Fabulous Idea! :)

Nice job sharecruises. I posted several times on this topic recently. In fact some of the quotes in your OP is from that very thread. I tried to be nice about the entire subject but the woman went on a tear. It still amazes me.

I will be by your side as you complain as I do not want my children to be sick.

Just wanted to say though, that on the health channel it stated that human urine has no bacteria so if you have a cut and no other means of cleaning it or getting treatment to urinate on your cut! :eek: Not something I would want to do!

On another note, a bunch of us was reading this thread and we decided for the parents that were stupid enough to allow unpotty trained children in pool, we have a suggestion, just have all your kids to urinate and poo in a blow up pool splash a little chlorine and water in it then have them all go at it! Same concept! :eek: But first lets dunks the heads of the stupid parents in it first!

Come on folks get with the program!

Archived