CB Interior vs Oceanview vs Balcony Cabin?

sandrews

My wife and I are going on our second Princess cruise in September. We sailed in 04 and had an inside cabin. We are considering upgrading to an oceanview or balcony. Is the oceanview worth $200 more or the balcony worth $500 more than the interior? On our last cruise, we didn't spend an extensive amount of time in the cabin, but wondering if we are missing out by not being able to see outside.

Thanks

When my family and I cruised on CB we had a Balcony on Aloha deck. A514. It is about midships. I'd say get a balcony on Aloha somewhere midship.

The balcony is great if you want to have a private meal outside.(Though it isn't HUGE.) It's also great for relaxing or reading, etc. away from the public spaces. The balconies are also soundproofed pretty well so you don't necessarily hear your neighbors.

Our balcony was also very private. The neighbors balcony couldn't be seen by just glancing over.

They are also great for comming into port in the morning. It was cool seeing the pilot boat come up to the CB and ,while still moving quite fast, load the pilot onboard to dock the ship.

I say definately get a balcony. Hey, get A514 if you can! It's a great stateroom! Close to the midship stairwell and elevators.:D

Though, if you do get it. While the ship is moving....don't have the balcony door open while opening the cabin door into the hallway. It creates a vortex which, if not prepared for, might scare you and possibly have the door swing into you.

We've had a balcony and an obstructed view category.

The rooms were the same size with the only difference being a sliding door instead of a window.

We were happy with the obstructed view especially since we did our homework and chose a cabin with the little boat outside our window. We could see out, up, left, down, and right. The obstructed views were running the same price as an inside and have now found that we can take 2 cruises a year instead of one by foregoing the balcony.

Unless you are going to spend $500 more of time out there on the balcony, think of all the ways you could spend that money or save it instead. We didn't miss it thank goodness as bad as we thought we would.

My last cruise I had a balcony on the Riviera deck and would never go back! Although it costs a little bit more, if you do your planning right, you can get a decent deal. Besides, vacations are for enjoying yourself and getting the most out of your time off.

I just love having that extra room and it is the perfect place to enjoy breakfast in the morning. I've booked anohter balcony for June!

:)

event.png

I have always found inside room, I did not spend a lot of time in my room. Balcony room, spent much more time in room & Balcony. I think the outside E Deck obstructed rooms on Princess Grand class ships are a bargain & they all have a pretty good view. To me a Balcony is worth about $10 to $20 PP P/day. Everyone has their own opinion on this one.

We've had all 3 catagories and it really depends on how much you want to use your room and what ship you are on. You can't beat a balcony but if you are on a port intensive cruise, where you are hardly on the ship, go for the inside or ocean view for just a few more $ and save the rest for excursions. Our last cruise on the CB was an ocean view room on the LIDO deck. We were so close to the pool deck, that it didn't really matter to us. We could just walk right up the hall and out to the pool. That said, we are on the Coral in Feb to Panama and definately wanted a balcony room to get a good view of the canal. We choose one of the front bumpout rooms to ensure a good view of the canal transit early in the morning. Should be a great experience.

If you would like to see some pictures of our Ocean View room on the CB, you can click on my picture link below and then choose the Caribbean Princess album to view the pictures. There are several of our OV room there.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We had always booked the outside cabin never feeling the balcony was worth the extra money. BUT then we got a fre upgrade to a balcony and have been spoiled ever since. My husband and I enjoy a lot of time out in the loungers and sun but can only handle the masses for so long. The balcony is a nice way to still enjoy the sea air and have a little quite time. We especially like the Caribe Deck because we have more room and the chairs are alot more comfortable. The 1/2 covered 1/2 open works well for us as I enjoy the sun for longer periods then my husband and he can be in the shade while I bake.

:) We have only sailed with an interior (our first cruise and Brother said it was a good cost saving measure) and balcony cabin.

Interior cabin (for us) was horrible. We can't sleep at all when the room is pitch black, going to the restroom in the middle of the night was disruptive for spouse, and keeping the bathroom light on wasn't comfortable. Didn't have a clue what time it was and kept checking our watches even though we had a wake up call.

For us, balcony cabins are wonderful. I love to have the curtains open (and I'm bad and wedge something into the sliding door so,it to, is open at night). I love the sound of the sea and find it really soothing.

Also (and I'm sure I'll be damned for admitting it) we enjoy the occasional cigarette and, if our next door neighbors aren't sitting on their balcony, we will indulge our bad habit. It's nice, too, when you are sharing a cabin, that one person can go sit outside and read (and stay out of the way)while the other is still getting prettied up.

I don't know if ocean view windows are operable so I don't chance it when booking.

Someday I hope to be able to justify and afford a mini-suite. But until then, I'll at least stick with a balcony.

Our first four cruises were mini suites....fifth and sixth cruises were balcony.....last two cruises an ocean-view partially obstructed view on the Caribbean Princess E404 and E406. Which did we prefer????? .....the mini suite by far, but that being said we found we do not use a balcony enough to justify the extra $$$ for a balcony cabin let alone a mini suite. We spend little time in our cabin so have decided that OV is for us....we will sail more often with the $$$ we save.:) I am all for that!!

If a balcony's under 800 I will sometimes "think on it".. but for my money I'd rather cruise more often in an inexpensive cabin than less often with balcony.. they have 499 including port on some CB and Star sailings this spring inside with onboard credit.. vs. 999 or so for a balcony.. which is no brainer for me.. inside is "almost" a two for one. Some say after a balcony they can "never go back" but fortunately we are not in that position!

Archived