Carmel Limousine NYC

lhall85917

After looking at transportation from LGA to Manhattan, it seems that Carmel has decent rates ($28) one way in a private sedan. Does anyone know anything about this company and how does that seem for a group of 4? From what I've seen, prices for a cab will run around $50-$60 with tip?

Seems Carmel Limos is hit and miss. If you do a search, you should have some threads about this company. I didn't use them because of what I read on these boards. I used New York City Transportation, I found it on the NYC Visitors website. Transportation in NYC is expensive, but won't be as bad for you because you are staying on the NYC side of the river. If you cross to New Jersey from NYC, they really sock it to you. You not only pay for the trip over, but they charge you for the trip back even though you aren't in the cab. How's that for ridiculous. I just sent an email to the city of New York complaining about this. Have a great trip!:p

You know everything is relative. I find cabs much more expensive overseas. A cab from LGA to midtown non rush hour is only about $30-35. But if Carmel is charging $28.00 I would use the car service-generally nicer cars.. watch if they charge extra pp....Form EWR to midtown is only about $55.00 and back to EWr it will be close to $70.00 normally you can get a car service for less. Actually the cab to EWR from NYC only charges $15.00 extra for coming back as they are not allowed to pick up fares at Newark Airport. Outside of the airport in New Jersy NYCity cabs are not required to take you at all and can charge whatever they want as long as you agree to it in advance

fares are available at http://www.nyc.gov/tlc

We (party of 8) used Carmel's van service Thanksgiving week to get from JFK to Manhattan and from Manhattan to Newark on Thanksgiving day. We paid about $150 for each trip. The advertised price does not include tolls, taxes and tips. Ask for a price estimate when you call. For both trips, the drivers were on-time, friendly and helpful. We actually called Thanksgiving day and requested that the driver come 30 minutes than we requested and that was not a problem for them.

NYC is pricey period, just hand over the plastic and smile....

I have used Carmel many times in NYC both for groups and just for my wife and me. They are always on time and coureous. Just get the exact fare when you book. They will tell you if it includes the tolls or not. They always charged me exactly as quoted. And yes....NYC is expensive...just find out ahead of time what to expect.

We ALWAYS use Carmel. Many of our friends have as well. They do have a coupon on their site that saves you three bucks but you have to write down the code on the coupon when you get it to validate it. I think the tolls run four bucks so we usually spend about forty bucks including tip. They are always on time for the return pickup as well. I highly recommend them. Read the fine print on their website if you have any questions about tolls, etc.

• 2 months later...

Can someone tell me a bit more about how the car service works? We are looking into this option over using a taxi to/from the airport. When our flight arrives, will they already be there waiting for us? I'm imagining what I've seen in movies with the guy holding a sign with our name, but I don't know if that's how it all really works. Any help you can offer, I'd be very appreciative. :)

We flew into Newark for our visit to NYC last July - we cruised on the Crown. I called ahead and reserved a Towncar from Carmel. Once you get your luggage you call the number they give you (your confirmation number is your phone number). The drivers can't wait curbside so you have to wait for them to get through the airport traffic. You tell the dispatcher what you're wearing and where you are standing (within reason). I believe our name was in the window. I think they called us to ask where we were as the driver got closer. It was easy, especially since I had printed out the driving directions from the airport to the hotel. That's something I do all the time now, we've been .....um......'taken for a ride' by cab drivers before who pretend they don't know where they are going.

I use Carmel quite often. When you get your luggage at the airport then you call Carmel and they will tell you where to meet your car. I have never had any problem or issue with them. The one thing I can tell you is that from LGA to Manhattan I would take a taxi, especially if it is not rush hour. Tolls are charged either way (car service or taxi) but LGA is really not a far ride into Manhattan. If you were flying into Newark or JFK then I would suggest car service as opposed to taxi.

One more thing to consider, four people with luggage you would need something bigger than a sedan so the cost would be more. You might also need two taxis, unless you get a taxi van which there are quite a few of now. When you call car service, let them know how many people and how many pieces of luggage you have, you might be surprised that the cost will be higher.

Archived