Tour offering only Rum Point and snorkeling?

piratemom

Last time we were in GC we went to stingray city. While it was amazing, we don't want to do it this time. We DO want to snorkel here and would love to see Rum Point. BUT not sure I am confident enough to rent a jeep on our own and go (thinking about it, but I am worried that it is a bit too far away from the ship to be going on our own). Idealy I would like a tour with one or two snorkel stops and a stop at Rum point. Anyone know of any operators who offer a tour like this? The ones I have found so far all include the rays, or are just a Jeep tour with stops at places we have already seen, not enough time at the point and no mention of snorkeling. Is there a place to rent snorkel equipment at Rum point? If so then I guess I just need to find a tour that goes there, lol. Thanks :)

My wife and I booked an excursion with Native Way http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html

and had a fabulous time. After the stingray stop we must have had an hour of snorkeling that was one of the best that I've been on. From what I remember about Rum Point, you can wade out 100 feet from shore and only be up to your knees. Perhaps there was a different place to wade out from that hit a reef but I'm not aware of one. Anybody else know more?

We also used Nativeways last time we were in GC and did the island/stingray city tour and thought they were SO great! This time we were hoping to skip the rays, though. I saw they have the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour. I am considering this, but if the majority of the time is spent with the rays, then this option is out. I would like to spend the majority of the time snorkeling and at Rum Point. Do you know, is the time split pretty evenly between the three stops? Thanks for your reply!

I e-mailed Native Way and asked if they would do a tour that would skip the rays and just do the Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens and then to Rum Point. They reponded that they would customize a tour if there are 20 people. Since we're just a couple, don't think we can get 18 strangers to do this tour with us.

However, if several people would e-mail them and ask if they would offer this type of tour in addition to the RRR, maybe they will see that there is a need for it and just make a new tour. Wouldn't hurt.

Their e-mail address is: nativway@candw.ky

I also emailed Nativeway. They indicated they may be adding a Rum Point and lunch tour at a later date and asked to check back with them in May. I am not sure how soon they may be adding the tour. The May call back may be only due to the fact I told them when I would be going to Grand Cayman.

I did extensive research for our stop there last month looking for something that offered snorkeling and Rum Point without the Rays and it just didn't exist. I could find snorkeling only and then a drop at 7-mile beach but nothing else. It would be nice if someone would offer that since so many have already done the Rays. We actually did the RRR tour and the Rays were fun again - it's just about a 40-45 min. stop out of a 6 hour tour.

I've read conflicting reviews that some feel that had plenty of time at Rum Point while others felt it wasn't enough time. Exactly how long do you get to stay at Rum Point? We're still trying to decide between the RRR with Native Way or just do the ship excursion to the Bontanical Gardens and Rum Point. We're not going until April, but wanted to book something now just in case.

I've read conflicting reviews that some feel that had plenty of time at Rum Point while others felt it wasn't enough time. Exactly how long do you get to stay at Rum Point? We're still trying to decide between the RRR with Native Way or just do the ship excursion to the Bontanical Gardens and Rum Point. We're not going until April, but wanted to book something now just in case.

I think that lunch took up about 25 minutes and then we had between and hour and 1 1/2 hours. It seemed too short but the excursion did get in a lot of activities.

We were at Rum Pt. about 2 hours. That includes the time for lunch. I could have spent more time there but it takes a while to get back by boat. We had about an hour at the Rays, an hour at the Barrier Reef and 2 hours at Rum Pt. The rest of the time was the boat ride and bus ride to and from the marina. We also did a swing through "alligator alley" on the way back to the marina. I found it rather amusing. (it's not alligators - it's iguanas - hundreds of them all over those million dollar homes!)

All in all it was still a better tour than anything ship sponsored. I'd rather ride to Rum Pt. on a boat than a bus anyday. :)

Archived