grand princess questions... Help please

jezzdogg

Have decide last minute sort of to surprise hubby for his 60th birthday and take him on a cruise for the week...

What condition is the Grand in....have not been on her since she was new.(price is right as i am paying for entire special occassion)

Also does anyone what car rental companies let you rent a car in Houston and return to somewhere near the port in Galveston...Princess does not have any transfers left

Many thanks

Just off the GP from 6-13, 2007 Western Caribbean cruise. Overall the ship is in fine condition (our third time on her). However, I must agree with other posters that the mattresses are FUBAR. I really ripped them on my PAX evaluation, stating they were abominable and an embarrassment to the cruise line. Mine had broken innersprings that made the mattress sag at where your hips are when laying. Its kind of like what happens to hotel mattresses on the side where the phone is, they are so weak from sitting you seem to want to roll off. All else was great. Well, disembarkation was a bit of a mess too. We were delayed returning by heavy fog, and ICE had too few agents to clear the ship. First walk-offs started to leave at 0830, we got called at 1155 hrs (Plaza deck). Many people were observed to be using mobile phones and laptops trying to reschedule flights.

Last week new carpet was being laid on Plaza deck and upgraded the linen to the new duvet style.

Do ask your steward for a egg crate mattress topper which should improve your sleeping!

The Grand is in good condition, especially for her age. I hope you have a lovely cruise.

We were on Grand last month and she is in good shape. Of course she is not new but nothing was shabby or dirty.

Check our pics and review at

The Halls Western Caribbean

We rented a car from Enterprise in Houston, drove to Galveston and dropped it off. It was OK -- not sure I would do it again. AIRC it cost about $70, and we could have gotten a limo for $125. We did it because we arrived in Houston early early early and wanted to have a bit of time to tour Galveston and have breakfast at The Phoenix on the Strand before boarding. Be sure to drop your bags at the ship and then come back to Enterprise -- it is very hard to get to coming into Galveston.

It would also be possible to rent the car for the week and park it there --really wouldn't cost all that much more because you wouldn't have to pay the drop off fee. There are lots of parking lots available.

We took the ship's transfer back and that was very easy and efficient.

Contrary to the other poster's experience, our disembarkation was quick and easy. Walk offs started about 7:15 and were done by 8:15, we were off the ship by 9:00 and in Houston by 10:30. It just depends on conditions.

Have a GREAT cruise!

However, I must agree with other posters that the mattresses are FUBAR. I really ripped them on my PAX evaluation, stating they were abominable and an embarrassment to the cruise line. Mine had broken innersprings that made the mattress sag at where your hips are when laying.

I'm really concerned about these mattress "issues" as I have back and hip problems (traveling on her March 31).....I thought the mini-suites on the Grand had Beautyrest mattresses, duvet covers, etc. Is this true?

I'm really concerned about these mattress "issues" as I have back and hip problems (traveling on her March 31).....I thought the mini-suites on the Grand had Beautyrest mattresses, duvet covers, etc. Is this true?

We had a minisuite on the Grand last month. I don't know what kind of mattresses we had and we asked for egg crate pads as soon as we got there but they were very comfortable. We had the duvets, too, and nicer towels than our last time.

My first cruise on the grand was when she was pretty new. I year or so...i think. We recently were on her at Christmas and she was in fine shape. Yes, she is older than some of the newer ships now, but so what. They continue to refurb her and we saw nothing that would disuade us from going back. In fact, we decided to cruise again this March as she will be leaving Galveston after April and so far not rescheduled to return. As we live less than an hour away from the port in Galveston, we are taking the opportunity to cruise again with out a plane ride.

We were on the Grand in December and I didn't notice that it was especially shabby for it's age. I did notice some worn upholstery in Skywalkers. We had a mini-suite and though I don't know what kind of mattress we had, it seemed comfortable (no back issues though) except for the ridge down the middle where the two top mattresses meet. We did have a duvet--I actually am not very fond of duvets, find them too hot--but no top sheet. I asked our steward for a top sheet and he put one on almost immediately.

I did think the standard of food has deteriorated somewhat, especially in the Horizon Court, which was much worse than I remembered on other Princess cruises. Very limited selection, kind of boring and really cafeteria quality. We also thought the entertainment, major shows and comedians, left much to be desired. Maybe we're just getting blase' after quite a few cruises.

We still enjoyed our cruise, though, especially the ports. Probably won't sail from Galveston again because it was so cool the first and last day that we couldn't enjoy time on deck. (I knew this was likely to happen, unless we got really lucky with weather.) Of course, if I lived nearby and had just a short drive to the port, I'd do it again.

Disembarkation was really slow, didn't get off the ship until past 11!

We were on the Grand in Feb 06 and Nov 06. The ship is beautiful and well maintained. My only complaint maintenance wise was that the majority of the hot tubs were not working. This was a problem on both cruise dates. The mattresses were horrendous, sagging in the middle, totally worn out. I didnt notice this in Feb but we were very uncomfortable at night with the terrible mattresses. I dont think an egg crate would have solved the situation. I was surprised that PCL allowed the mattresses to get in such a state without addressing the issue and replacing them. The sag was evident just looking at the mattress.

I was also going to suggest renting a car for the week and parking at EZpark ($55 for the week). I recall reading some problems with picking a rental up at Enterprise if the ship is late getting in....something about them closing early afternoon on Saturdays....

If you can do early walk off, do it....The disembarkation process was horrible. It took forever and people were getting very antsy. Next time we will pack so that we can take advantage of early walk off.

We enjoyed the entertainment and tried to make every show. We scheduled dinner so that we could go from one show to the next. We didnt make it to bed most nights until 1am...which is unusual for dh but we were having so much fun.

We tried the specialty restuarants on the first cruise and were not that impressed. We liked the Painted Desert/Sterling's steakhouse (best shrimp cocktail I have had). We didnt like Sabatino's at all. We would not spend the extra $$ to go back.

I hope you have a wonderful time. Are you planning any excursions? We did a wonderful City/island tour in Roatan.

My only complaint maintenance wise was that the majority of the hot tubs were not working.

Here is our best kept "secret" for the Grand!

At the back of the ship, in the middle of the spa, is the Plantation Pool. But you don't have to use the spa to use the pool! There are two nice hot tubs, and also saunas and steam rooms, plus a swim against current gizmo in the pool. There are probably two dozen lounge chairs,and seldom filled up!

Have a GREAT cruise!

At the back of the ship, in the middle of the spa, is the Plantation Pool. But you don't have to use the spa to use the pool! There are two nice hot tubs, and also saunas and steam rooms, plus a swim against current gizmo in the pool. There are probably two dozen lounge chairs,and seldom filled up!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Great. Thanks for the tip!

Have a GREAT cruise!

To avoid you walking too far on the ship the spa is at the front on deck 15. I agree the pool there is definitely a best kept secret.

We found the spa pool and hot tub area and Mike is correct....it is not very busy and the hot tubs are working in that area. There are loungers galore....We also like the Aft adult pool, busier than the spa pool but ample loungers are available. The pool water is ice cold so I didnt get in. The views from the Aft pool are the best.

Have a GREAT cruise![/quote

So its actually free? How long is it open?

Tammy

We were on the New Year's cruise out of Galveston, and I can't tell you how sad I was to see the condition of the ship on which we had sailed several times. The bed was so bad in the mini that they made up the couch for me. I finally got a few nights good sleep.

The furniture was not clean--had spots all over the chairs. The balcony they never cleaned as there were a number of food items under the rubber mat that could have been removed but were not.

The bathroom door closer was so loud you awakened your spouse when you got up during the night. It was broken. All were reported--looked at by the staff--and that was it.

Understand we are not big complainers, but we did cancel two of our Princess cruises because of the changes we had seen. One of these cruises would have taken us to the elite level, but it is not worth it.

You can still overlook these things and have a good time. That is up to you. We still had a good time. I am just responding to your question. As some posters said, order an egg crate ahead of time--that might help. One of the staff said they had ordered new bedding for the mini's, but that didn't help on this trip. She agreed there were some mattress problems in our stateroom (D115).

Also, make sure if you have a mini you don't mind everyone looking down on your stateroom balcony. No cover and everyone can see you. Poor design.

Have decide last minute sort of to surprise hubby for his 60th birthday and take him on a cruise for the week...

What condition is the Grand in....have not been on her since she was new.(price is right as i am paying for entire special occassion)

Also does anyone what car rental companies let you rent a car in Houston and return to somewhere near the port in Galveston...Princess does not have any transfers left

Many thanks

I have always rented with budget in houston, I have always gotten better deals especially if you go through the internet. I don't know if they have drop off or not.

We were on 12/2 out of Galveston as well... we had a full on suite. The mattress was awful. I had a spring in my hip the whole week. It was a very concave mattress. Very surprising for a suite. The teak deck furniture was in poor shape (the padding was so bad we could never sit in it) and we got lots of trash from the deck above.

I also agree with the posts about the food in the Horizon Court. Bad. Actually we weren't impressed with any food we had on the ship. Disney blows Princess away in all categories in my opinion. I've been on suites on both and what a world of difference. Our room service was bad, mostly at breakfast, where they didn't get our order right not even once. One time an entire tray of food was missing from our order.

Just my two cents...

Last week new carpet was being laid on Plaza deck and upgraded the linen to the new duvet style.

Do ask your steward for a egg crate mattress topper which should improve your sleeping!

The Grand is in good condition, especially for her age. I hope you have a lovely cruise.

Hey billet......you're finally home! Now you can enjoy Christmas.....:)

I agree....we pre-ordered the egg crates (by fax) and it helped a lot.

Hey billet......you're finally home! Now you can enjoy Christmas.....:)

I agree....we pre-ordered the egg crates (by fax) and it helped a lot.

Yep now I am enjoying the snow, quite a shock! I have just opened my Christmas presents which was fun and waiting for dinner. I asked my wife where the menu was, to which she answered take it or leave it is the only choice. Back to reality!

To avoid you walking too far on the ship the spa is at the front on deck 15. I agree the pool there is definitely a best kept secret.

LOL -- Yep, you're right! The wonderful Plantation Pool is FORWARD on deck 15, not AFT! Sorry about that! Actually it is accessible through the spa, or you can go up to the very top deck (I guess that's 16) and then walk down the steps to the pool if you don't want to sashay past the spa desk.;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

So its actually free? How long is it open?

Tammy

Yep, free and wonderful. It is open whenever the spa is, which is pretty much all day and evening -- although, like any pool it has occasionally been closed for cleaning. Sometimes in the morning the sauna and steam haven't had time to warm up. We go in to the desk at the spa, ask for a locker key, and right out to the pool, hot tubs, sauna and steam. Or you can also get to it from the topmost deck without going through the spa.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Yep now I am enjoying the snow, quite a shock! I have just opened my Christmas presents which was fun and waiting for dinner. I asked my wife where the menu was, to which she answered take it or leave it is the only choice. Back to reality!

Not sure which I'd rather have.....the snow.....or the ice that we have! We've had 3 days of freezing rain/sleet mix. Approx. 3-4" solid on the ground. Very dangerous driving....or even walking to the mailbox out front. Power out in the lot of towns.....trees/tree limbs down due to the weight of the ice. More broken limbs/power outages expected today due to the high winds forcasted.

Oh to be back on the Grand. :D

Not to be so OT :), I don't think the Grand is showing a LOT of age. Yes, she's been around a while but the overall effect is still good. Mattresses and worn carpet seem to the a big point. As you have mentioned, carpet is beginning to be replaced, and if one gets an order in early, the egg crates help considerably with the comfort of the bed. The new duvets will help too.

Archived