Snorkeling the Mex. Riv.

Scorpiorose

It sure would be nice if you got some good responses as we are also doing the Mex. Riveria and could use the information. The best info I have read so far is that Cabo and PV are about the only two recommended. It's not a big help but maybe someone with better knowledge could enlighten us!

Vince

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My first snorkeling experience was three years ago in Puerto Vallarta on the Las Caletas tour. I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever done!!! The water was not perfectly clear, and there was no coral but I saw a nice assortment of tropical fish. I'll never forget how hard it was to make myself take that first breath through my mouth after I put my face in that cool water, but then I didn't want to get out! I'm going on RCCL Vision again next week and I'm thinking about trying snorkeling in Cabo at the Chileano reef. I read about it on the web site cabowatersports.com. I'm hoping it won't be too big of a deal to book the tour there after we get off the ship. It seems to me last time, I bought my mouth piece at the pursers desk.

Can anybody out there give us more Mexican Riviera snorkeling information???

Have snorkeled all three locations; many times in Cabo and once each in Mazatlan and P.V.. Based on my experiences, Cabo wins hands down, although it's not in the same league as the Caribbean, the Yucatan or Hawaii. In Cabo, most all excursion boats visit Playa Santa Maria and/or Bahia Chileno (Chileno Bay). Both of these locations can be reached by vehicle, for a lot less than what the ship or local excursion boats will charge.

My last post disappeared, I think.

I went to Cabo and found some very good snorkeling right off lover's beach or cove. It is right there in Cabo, it is where the Arch is. You can get there by cayak or by fishing boat (for about five bucks). Once you get there, you can get right back in the water to the left. Be carefull of the boats coming in. You should be able to snorkle right up against the rocks. It was pretty cool and very cheap. I think if I had to do it again I would take a boat. To get to the kayaks, you have to walk all around the harbor and to the beach. It takes awile. I would rather spend my time on the beach. I also think the little transport boats are cheaper and faster. Either way, it is a good time.

In Alcapolco, we went white water rafting. This was one of the funnest excursions of our three cruises we have taken.

In PV, we went snorkeling. We took a boat ride down there. It was OK. It could have been better but a storm had come through and the water was not very clear. I think I would give it another try.

sbmizzou

Have snorkeled all three locations; many times in Cabo and once each in Mazatlan and P.V.. Based on my experiences, Cabo wins hands down, although it's not in the same league as the Caribbean, the Yucatan or Hawaii. In Cabo, most all excursion boats visit Playa Santa Maria and/or Bahia Chileno (Chileno Bay). Both of these locations can be reached by vehicle, for a lot less than what the ship or local excursion boats will charge.

Do you know of any excursions that will take y ou to eithyer Santa Maria or Bahia Chileno by land ? All I have come across is boats.

I'm not aware of any specific companies that would drive you to either location. There is a city bus that can be caught in downtown Cabo that goes to the town of San Jose del Cabo; with bus stops at Chileno and Santa Maria (have taken this bus but not from Cabo, so I don't know exactly where it can be caught). If you're going in a group (4 or so), it might be worth a hiring a taxi (both sites are about 5 miles outside of Cabo). Also, you might be able to negotiate something with one of the vendors at the marina (where you disembark the tender). I might be wrong on this final point but I don't believe there are any facilities at either location (restrooms, snorkel gear rental, food/drinks, etc.).

Try hooking up with Pacific Scuba in PV. They mostly deal with divers, but they took the wife and I snorkeling out at the Las Marietas (sp?) Islands and we had a great time. The islands are amazing, especially the booby birds. The snorkeling was really good for the Mex Riv and the service we got was fantastic! I'd never hesitate to reccomend them. I found the islands to be much more full of life than what you find in Cabo/ lover's beach. YMMV

Try hooking up with Pacific Scuba in PV. They mostly deal with divers, but they took the wife and I snorkeling out at the Las Marietas (sp?) Islands and we had a great time. The islands are amazing, especially the booby birds. The snorkeling was really good for the Mex Riv and the service we got was fantastic! I'd never hesitate to reccomend them. I found the islands to be much more full of life than what you find in Cabo/ lover's beach. YMMV

Archived