Weather/Clothes needed in AK in May

lucia1024

Hi

I am going to AK on the of May 27th. I am trying to decide what type of clothing is appropriate for May. From experience what is the average temperature at this time of year? I have read that layers are the best, but what type? Do you mean turtlenecks and sweaters or will cotton long sleeve tees be sufficient? I want to try not to over pack. I live in FL so I do have much use for winter clothes. Since it's the end of the winter season here I can get some great deals on winter clothing. I just want to make sure that I really will use them. Do you think I may need some thermal under clothes? I know I might be going to extremes, but I just don't want to be cold.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

I am going to AK on the of May 27th. I am trying to decide what type of clothing is appropriate for May. From experience what is the average temperature at this time of year? I have read that layers are the best, but what type? Do you mean turtlenecks and sweaters or will cotton long sleeve tees be sufficient? I want to try not to over pack. I live in FL so I do have much use for winter clothes. Since it's the end of the winter season here I can get some great deals on winter clothing. I just want to make sure that I really will use them. Do you think I may need some thermal under clothes? I know I might be going to extremes, but I just don't want to be cold.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks!

Since no one has posted yet with formal "experience", I'll post. I've been hanging around the boards for several months and the consensus is to layer in Alaska.

Rain ponchos ($5 from walmart, one size fits all) are suggested b/c it's likely to rain while you're there (although I hope not, I'm going around that time too!). Long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts are recommended - anything you can layer and take off easy for changing climates while out. You may need a coat/hat/mitts for glacier viewing but you will not likely need these on land. By coat I don't mean a full winter coat, but more like a think polar fleece sweater type of coat (like the inside of Columbia coats or the GAP sweatshirts they sell).

Lots of ppl have mentioned simply wearing jeans so I don't think long johns are needed but you might want to ask about that just to be sure ;) Just teasing, I'm sure you won't need them.

Hope this helps some. If you google "Alaska temps" you can find season temps, and "Alaska packing tips" there are lots of resources out there too. Plus of course search this Alaska forum.

If it helps any... When I visited in the Florida Keys last time, they were having a cold snap... low 70's during the day, dipping to the upper 50's and low 60's at night. I was perfectly comfortable in my (long) jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts. Locals seemed to think I was odd for not wearing a hat, gloves, fur coat, etc... I guess it's all based on what you're used to.

Jeans, a layer or two of t-shirts and sweatshirts and a good wind-breaker type jacket should do just fine. I'm kind of a nut for dry socks, so bring plenty of spares in case your shoes get wet. Wet = cold up here... waterproof jackets, rain ponchos, umbrellas, etc. are all a good idea. The drier you can stay the warmer you'll be.

-Case

that' why layers work to well. you don't know how the temps are going to be or if it's going to rain.

go to bealls and get a nice fleece or sweat (with hood). something not too bulky. you don't want to be too bundled up, in case you get hot. plus you want to be able to move around, get in and out of shuttles / busses/

trains and such, in comfort. i had a big canvas bag with me, had my camera, some sodas and room for our jackets if we didn't need them.

glacier viewing will be cooler, might need some gloves for that. you will be much more comfortable in layers then in a big bulky coat.

jeans work good, just makes sure you have extra in case one gets wet.

good point about socks. you can get a water-proofing spray for tennis shoes, jackets and such. even if it doesn't rain, you can get damp around boats / fish / kayaking and such. this is NOT a cruise for worrying about being well-dressed. go for comfort.

Glad to see this thread specific to May clothing. How about inside the ship - since it is spring I was wondering if people also bring capris and sundresses. I hope not and don't plan to - just wondering. I'm really hoping most everyone will be casual in jeans and turtlenecks except for the dining room. I'm really looking forward to a comfy cruise as far as clothing goes. No one has mentioned vests. Our party of four have all decided to go that route with layers under - we thought it may be better for getting around instead of jackets. Ponchos for rain of course.

Hi

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you plan on spending any amount of time on the outer decks of the ship viewing the glaciers, humpback whales, etc., I suggest you bring some type of insulated jacket or coat, dress in layers, and good rain gear if your active on tours. We went on our first Alaska Cruise on May 26th from Seward to Vancouver. Viewing College Fiord and Glacier Bay was extremely cold with high winds. People had gloves and were using the blankets that were handed out free by the Princess Staff (Free Hot Chocolate on Deck).

By the time we go farther south it did warm up but also rained much more.

Great thread, also a Floridian here.

We probably need an extra layer :)

We'll also be going the end of May. Miss you by two days Lucia!

I got some great deals at Old Navy and Bealls on outter wear. Bells had all their Columia stuff dirt cheap. I got a great fleece lined raincoat at Old Navy for my son for $5.00!

Do you think we need boots? We will be going to Denali.

Glad to see this thread specific to May clothing. How about inside the ship - since it is spring I was wondering if people also bring capris and sundresses. I hope not and don't plan to - just wondering. I'm really hoping most everyone will be casual in jeans and turtlenecks except for the dining room. I'm really looking forward to a comfy cruise as far as clothing goes. No one has mentioned vests. Our party of four have all decided to go that route with layers under - we thought it may be better for getting around instead of jackets. Ponchos for rain of course.

The dress for the day is very casual, as for the layers that also works very well. As my prior post goes you need more than vests.

Ponchos only work if your running from one place to another, if your active in tours such as kayaking, hikes, tours like we were, rain gear is necessary and well as hiking boots, etc.

last sept, i could have used a quilted vest, but i have a fleece vest. actually is a lining from an old jacket. deep pockets were very good for keeping the wetness off the digital. (and warming the hands) didn't need a jacket..on the coldest day, i had a light weight sweater, under the vest, hooded fleece/sweat, under the rain slicker. our glacier viewing was the warmest day of the cruise..no wind, so no wind chill.

i was fine, except for the day in skagway. i had put our train tickets in a pocket..but forgot which pocket..vest, jeans or fleece..or canvas bag?

after getting replacement tickets..we got on the train, i took some layers off. found the tickets..in the waist band of the jeans? i may have been a little TOO bundled up:rolleyes:

last sept, i could have used a quilted vest, but i have a fleece vest. actually is a lining from an old jacket. deep pockets were very good for keeping the wetness off the digital. (and warming the hands) didn't need a jacket..on the coldest day, i had a light weight sweater, under the vest, hooded fleece/sweat, under the rain slicker. our glacier viewing was the warmest day of the cruise..no wind, so no wind chill.

i was fine, except for the day in skagway. i had put our train tickets in a pocket..but forgot which pocket..vest, jeans or fleece..or canvas bag?

after getting replacement tickets..we got on the train, i took some layers off. found the tickets..in the waist band of the jeans? i may have been a little TOO bundled up:rolleyes:

Archived