Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

Hi there,

I just posted a long epistle about how great our last cruise to South America. It got lost when I hit the send button because the server was so busy it timed out. Very frustrating! I recommend copying your messages before posting in case it gets lost. This is a busy busy forum. LOL

My partner Liz and I live in Ft Myers, FL. We love cruising. Just got back from South America on the Rotterdam. !6 days of absolute beauty! We went to celebrate her 50th birthday, my 55th and our 10th anniversary. Leaving in 2 weeks for Sapphire Princess Cruise from Auckland to Sydney. Will be in Sydney for Carnival. Last year we cruised with 24 gay friends mostly from Cape Coral (just across the river from us) We sailed on the Radiance of the Seas from Seward AL to Vancouver BC. Had a gay ole time.

Love reading all your posts. FOD meetings are for all ages! Hope someone on this thread is going to new Zealand on the Sapphire.

Cheers,

Holley and Liz

My better half and I leave soon on a 13 day NCL cruise from LA to Miami via Panama Canal. Can't wait! Then we're headed off to Disney World for 5 nights, staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here's my question for any of you that have visited Disney World...........What's the 1 place, thing, ride, etc. that you've done there that you are soooo happy you did???? Please include Epcot, Magic Kingdom, etc. We may not get back there again and I want to be sure we don't miss something really special.

My better half and I leave soon on a 13 day NCL cruise from LA to Miami via Panama Canal. Can't wait! Then we're headed off to Disney World for 5 nights, staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here's my question for any of you that have visited Disney World...........What's the 1 place, thing, ride, etc. that you've done there that you are soooo happy you did???? Please include Epcot, Magic Kingdom, etc. We may not get back there again and I want to be sure we don't miss something really special.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise!

Since your staying at Animal Kingdom, I'd say don't miss "Expedition Everest" there. I also enjoyed "It's a Bugs Life" inside the Tree of Life. It's a 3-D thing and really cute. The Safari Ride is good too.

Epcot has "Soaring" and the "Mars Space Expedition" (two levels to choose from)...go for the "Orange". If you're going to be at Epcot at night, get a seat early at the Mexican resturant right by the lake (great time for chips and Margaritas!) and hold your spot for the spectacular fireworks show over the lake. It's probably the best view available where you can actually sit down, have a drink and enjoy the view! MGM has the "Tower of Terror" if you like that sort of thing. There night time fireworks show is also amazing, but you do need to get a good seat early...it's worth the wait. The Magic Kingdom is fun. If you've never been, make sure you do Privates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and there are some new ones in the Tomorrowland area that I don't remember the names of. There are some rides at each park that I'm sure are really fun, but you're sure to get very wet, so I usually avoid those (like Splash Mountain), but if you're game...go for it!:)

Mithryl...Thanks so much for starting this thread! So many great tips and stories out there!

I'm 47 and my partner is 45. We have a 3 yr old son. I'm the blue collar in the family, and my partner is a journalist specializing in health related topics (mostly cancer and aids). Because of her job we will be going on the Olivia Cruise For the Cure on March 30th. I posted a roll call for the cruise but no hits. Maybe someone in this thread?

We went on our first cruise this past summer (NCL Spirit/NY to Caribbean)and are now true fans! Loved freestyle dining! And the diversity on the ship was great! I'm a masculine looking woman and my partner is a girly girl, and I have to say that we never once were uncomfortable on our trip. There were the typical lookie loos, but aren't there always? Between doing kiddie things with our son, and my love for the blackjack table, we met many wonderful people. That said...we are looking to do a family trip to Alaska, summer 2009. Can anyone make suggestions for a group that includes ages 2 to 73? Since our only experience is with NCL, we have no clue about the other lines.

Robin

I'm anxious to hear from those of you that just went on the Olivia Cruise. How was it?

It was the best that we have ever taken.

Entertainment that covered many different tastes. Great Olivia/Zuiderdam staff. We always meet great people on these cruises, this one was no exception.

The sun could have shone a wee bit more but at least it didn't rain.

"Wannabecruisin", over to you!

Julie

> ^..^ <

Hey There.. We have a group of 10 -12 sailing on the Carnival Victory Nov 9, 2009 - We have a little counting down to go, but it is all going to be worth it!!

Kim - Sheri

Tony - Norman

Pat- Lynn

Chad- Tammy

Mama Jo

Maybe ou Lou & Jo _CHris..

It is going to be a GREAT Cruise!!!!

Hope some of you going us!!

Pussycat - Okay, thanks for the microphone.

Mithryl - Here's the scoop from our point of view.

There has been some discussion on this thread about whether an Olivia cruise is worth paying double the price of a regular cruise. My wife, Linda, flatly stated that she would not pay extra just to be a lesbian. I posted that I would withhold judgment until after I had done an Olivia cruise but that the price seemed to me to be exhorbitant. After all, the ship goes to the same places, right?

Well, please pass the mustard and ketchup to me and Linda as we both must eat a huge plate of crow. How to describe it? Very difficult. Maybe those of you who have been to the Michigan Women's Festival might have a vague idea, or those who have been to women's festivals anywhere, but to be part of a wonderful, diverse, empowered, fantastic group of women where you can be totally yourself was a completely new experience for me and Linda.

We held hands, we danced, we kissed in the moonlight, we felt like we feel when we are with close friends. We were completely ourselves.

Nobody was 'over the top'. There were no night-long drunken parties. There were no public orgies, no three-ways, nothing obnoxious anywhere. There were just 1850 lesbian women of all ages enjoying each others company and making new friends left and right. Smiles, helping hands, friendliness everywhere. It was incredible, fantastic, empowering, uplifting, inspiring...... What can I say.

Oh, yeah, the weather was so, so. We hardly noticed.

The shore excursions rocked. We sailed a 12-meter America's Cup Yacht in a match race and it was an all-women crew (except the captain and two deck guys). We rocked!

We hiked to the Baths on Virgin Gorda through, in, around, all those wonderful big boulders - all women, helping each other through the tough spots, lending a hand when needed, giving each other encouragement. Swam in Devil's Cove where the undertow was rugged and everyone watched out for everyone else. Wow.

We snorkeled, sailed, paddled, soaked up the sun on Half Moon Cay. Again, all women, all smiles, all fun.

The crew on the Zuiderdam sent representatives from EVERY department on the ship to come out on stage and salute the Women of Olivia. They loved us and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and enable us to be ourselves. The Cruise Director from Holland America told us he is gay and having us aboard made him remember who he is after being surrounded by straight people constantly. He loved us too.

Judy Dlugacz welcomed each of us aboard with a hug and a big smile....and sent us off to home again with another hug and smile. The staff of Olivia..... hey, you guys, they're just US. They're lesbian, they're you and me, they're our friends....they are just US. The whole dam ship was US. It was fantastic, fantastic, fantastic and Linda and I will never sail a straight cruise again unless it's some family something or other. We are already trying to figure out how to go again. Now. Tomorrow. Soon.

We are true Olivia cheerleaders and though I've typed in all this stuff the only way to really know what it's like is to sail with Olivia. You won't regret it. Really.

Sorry to be back, but we had a great time. Love to all of you,

Carol and Linda.

Good feedback Carol & Linda.

One day I might learn how to spell your screen name on here!! Sorry!

By the way, was your camera one of the ones taking the "in transit to Olivia cruise" photo at Alhambra? Can't wait to see it.

I hope you found your home in good order when you returned, after the pre trip problem.

Cheers

Julie

> ^..^ <

Just wanted to thank you and say we were so happy to hear of your experience on the Olivia Cruise last week! Pussycat forwarded your response, and we did send it to everyone in our Olivia office. It is so hard to explain the difference between an Olivia Cruise and a Straight cruise, but you did it beautifully. We hope many more of you will be able to join us and see the value of having the fantastic entertainment, Olivia staff, tweaks to the program and food served (do you know we order much more chocolate icecream than normal and diet Dr. Pepper)? Seriously - we do so much to make the experience unique to us and create a safe space to be - there is nothing like it. Thanks for being with us!

Jill

Mithryl...Thanks so much for starting this thread! So many great tips and stories out there!

I'm 47 and my partner is 45. We have a 3 yr old son. I'm the blue collar in the family, and my partner is a journalist specializing in health related topics (mostly cancer and aids). Because of her job we will be going on the Olivia Cruise For the Cure on March 30th. I posted a roll call for the cruise but no hits. Maybe someone in this thread?

Robin

Hi Robin,

Welcome. Isn't cruising the best with kids. Mine are 6 and 13 and they have been on 3 cruises. They love it.

My partner and I will be going on a solo cruise in Oct that includes 2 days in SF. Since you are from there I have a question is you could answer. We are trying to decide to do the wineries OR since we have never been to SF just hang there for 2 days. Any thoughts would be great.

cheers,

PA

Pussycat - Okay, thanks for the microphone.

Mithryl - Here's the scoop from our point of view.

We are true Olivia cheerleaders and though I've typed in all this stuff the only way to really know what it's like is to sail with Olivia. You won't regret it. Really.

Sorry to be back, but we had a great time. Love to all of you,

Carol and Linda.

Hi Guys!

Great Review! Glad you had such a wonderful time. Our only Oliva experience was also excellent (Alaska 2001). I do believe it is an extraordinary experience to be surrounded by "US" on a cruise.:D I also agree that HAL does a great job of partnering with Olivia to make the whole cruise a delight. I would definitely do it again, if the budget permits.

One of my deterents at this point is that we've been spoiled with longer cruises.;) I'd love to see Olivia breakout of the 7 day cruises (I know it fits most peoples lifestyles) and offer longer cruises, maybe once a year at least, to anywhere. I keep looking at longer and longer cruises (would love to gradually work up to 30+ days), with lots of sea days.

Anyway, does this mean you won't be considering the short fall Celebrity cruise?:)

Vicki & Bonnie

Just wanted to thank you and say we were so happy to hear of your experience on the Olivia Cruise last week! Jill

Hi Jill,

Thanks for joining the thread! My only experience with Olivia was great. It's actaully the cruise that got me hooked!

Do you know if Olivia is considering booking some longer cruises? My partner and I love sea days. We've done a 10 day west coast cruise and a 16 day circle Hawaii cruise (and have our next 16 day cruise...another circle Hawaii out of LA coming up in less than a month).

Seven days just doesn't seem like enough for us any more, unless we're sailing out of Seattle (which is drivable for us.)

I'd love to see Olivia expand a little out of the 7 day cruise venue. Any info would be appreciated.

Vicki & Bonnie

We did a 10 day cruise from Athens to Venice last year, and have done a few 10-11 night trips to Antarctica and most likely will look at something in Scandi at some point! But, we need more of you booking these longer trips to do more of them! When we grow "that group" you will see more :-)

Thanks!

Jill

Hi PA,

Thanks for the response. Wow..a wine cruise sounds great! Oct. is a great time to visit this area. Most of the grapes have been picked and the vines have turned to amazing fall colors. Since the wine country is so close to the city I think you should be able to spend time in both places. If the cruise excursions are too much money, there are so many other options. I googled SF wine tours and found some really fun choices. One that I found was a 6 hr. limo for up to 9 people. Maybe you could share something like that with a group from the ship. There is just so much to see and do here. If you aren't going to eat dinner on the ship I could make some great recommendations of places with great wine lists, great food, and great atmosphere.

We really did enjoy cruising with our son. It was the first vacation where we all really relaxed! I'm looking forward to many cruises in the future! Were any of your trips to Alaska?

Robin

Good feedback Carol & Linda.

By the way, was your camera one of the ones taking the "in transit to Olivia cruise" photo at Alhambra? Can't wait to see it.

I hope you found your home in good order when you returned, after the pre trip problem.

Cheers

Julie

> ^..^ <

Hi Julie (and Phyl, of course!) - Yes, we have a shot of the 'in transit' group. I'll shoot it off to you at your private email address today.

Our new furnace worked just great and all was fine when we got home.

Linda and I want to say 'thank you' to you two for including us in the Alhambra group and for 'showing us the ropes' on the cruise. It was great to meet you and 'hang' for a while with you and all the Alhambra gang. We hope we can all meet up again sometime on another Olivia adventure.

I know you are doing the Barbados trip and we'll consider it at some point. Right now we're doing laundry. Ugh. It's cold, rainy, windy and ugly here in Gig Harbor.....we keep remembering sailing in St Maarten in the warm water and sun, with the bright colors, the great spicy hot lunch at the Barefoot on the beach and the fantastic feeling of being free. Sigh.

Talk to you later,

Carol and Linda.

Just wanted to thank you and say we were so happy to hear of your experience on the Olivia Cruise last week! Pussycat forwarded your response, and we did send it to everyone in our Olivia office. It is so hard to explain the difference between an Olivia Cruise and a Straight cruise, but you did it beautifully.

Jill

Hi Jill - Thanks for the kind words about the review. I wish I had been able to convey the experience more accurately but hopefully the feeling came across. It was the experience of a lifetime and we really hope we'll be able to go again with the Women of Olivia. Maybe someday. Meanwhile, please convey our heartfelt thanks to Judy and Rachel and all the other wonderful Olivia crew. You guys are the greatest!

Regards,

Carol and Linda

Hi PA,

Thanks for the response. Wow..a wine cruise sounds great!

Hey Robin. I would love some recommendations. Even if we get on the ship for dinner, lunch recomendations would be great. You can e-mail me at paddyannehobbs@hotmail.com

Have always cruised the carribean so far. We are from Canada so if I said Alaska to the kids they would look at me as if I was crazy. They just want to swim.

cheers,

paddy Anne

Hi all,

Next year is my big 50 and I've been planning the trip of a lifetime (I hope.)

I'm heading to New Zealand and Australia on the Diamond Princess on Feb 10 with hopefully a cruisetour up to the GB Reef.

Anyone been on this trip? I'll take any pointers I can get.

Also, I'm travelling single so I'd love to hear if anyone else is on this trip(or wants to go on it)

Cath

Welcome to Tiffany, Nicole, Annie and Cath,

Nice to see so many new folks joining the thread. Maybe one day they'll split us out from the guys, but for now, this works.

Cath,

We've not done the cruise your planning (although it sounds great), but we are going to be on the Diamond in three weeks, so any shipboard questions you have, I'll be gald to answer when we return.

Annie,

We've sailed the Vision to Mexico in the past. I know you'll have a great time. Sounds like you'll have wonderful companions to sail with on this one.

Tiffany & Nicole,

Where are you sailing to on 2/29/08? We'll be right behind you on 3/2/08 on the Diamond to Hawaii.

We love RCCL as well as Princess. (Actually we didn't care much for our first Princess sailing to Mexico on the Dawn, but loved last years sailing to Hawaii on the Island.)

All three of your upcoming sailings sound awesome!

If I had the money to sail all the time, I'd join as many of you as possible on your adventures. Once the Lottery is mine, I'll be meeting many of you!! (Wishful thinking can't hurt!)

Liz and I will be boarding the Sapphire Princess tomorrow in Auckland. We are in Auckland today touring around. Will let you all know how it was. Wish some of you were going to join us on the Princess!

Cheers!

Holley and Liz

Vicki and Bonnie - Linda and I wish you a fantastic cruise to Hawaii on the Diamond Princess. We know you will have a great time. As far as the fall cruises on Celebrity, I doubt we will be doing that again. We're saving our pennies for another Olivia trip in 2009 (hopefully). Then Linda is going to retire in 2010 so that's the end of our cuises, as we'll be living on a lot less income after that. Well, we had a great time on the cruises we have done and expect that we'll have a great time 'cruising' our RV after retirement as well. Have a mai-tai for us in Hawaii, will you? Enjoy!

Carol and Linda.