OV fan debating on trying a balcony, LOL

MamaParrotHead

Deciding whether or not to bite the $100 pp and upgrade from 6B to 8B. Can anyone give me any tricks or tips I might have not paid attention to, or advantages of having a balcony? I decided it'd be fun to try something new. And is there really that much more motion felt (on Empress deck versus Main deck, it's in the same approximate location as our last room, just up the 5 floors)?

Thanks.:)

Mamma

Let me tell you this... We travel with a GROUP of family and friends once

a year..

The people that STARTED in either Inside rooms or Window rooms ONCE

THEY GOT THEIR FIRST BALCONY... THEY HAVE NEVER WENT BACK!!!!!!

I personally feel having that Balcony is the BEST part.. WE open the

diverders on the balcony with all of our FRIENDS and we have a BLAST

Drink Coffee and watch the SUN come up. AND drink FU FU Drinks before

dinner.

Just be CAREFUL and KNOW... Once you make that JUMP...

YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK...

Mamma

Let me tell you this... We travel with a GROUP of family and friends once

a year..

The people that STARTED in either Inside rooms or Window rooms ONCE

THEY GOT THEIR FIRST BALCONY... THEY HAVE NEVER WENT BACK!!!!!!

I personally feel having that Balcony is the BEST part.. WE open the

diverders on the balcony with all of our FRIENDS and we have a BLAST

Drink Coffee and watch the SUN come up. AND drink FU FU Drinks before

dinner.

Just be CAREFUL and KNOW... Once you make that JUMP...

YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK...

Hello again! Just thought I'd throw my 2cents in here When we were on the Valor last year we had an inside midship cabin on empress and most nites we gently rocked and rolled so much that the bureau drawers were tapping we ended up stuffing something in them to stop it. This time we booked low on the main deck and midship which I hope will have less movement ( I also had huge issues with seasickness the first 3 days until I discovered those seabands and ginger capsules.) Oh, and we booked an OV this time as well rather than the inside cabin. :D

It is very hard to go back to an OV once you have had a balcony. The only OV we've had was on the Century (before the refit) and it just wasn't the same. I love to pop out of bed in the morning, grab my room service coffee and watch the world go by on the balcony vs. showering, dressing, grabbing a cup from the buffett and trying to find a seat outside. The best balcony was an aft on the Miracle. Cruising out of NY, the view was awesome! Of course if it is a choice between OV or IS vs. no cruise... I'll take anything.

I agree also. Having cruised several times with an OV decided to try a balcony in January 06. OMG was it wonderful!!!!! I am definitely a balcony addict now, though haven't made it to "never go back" status, lol!! We will be in an OV on the Imagination in 28 days though that is because you can only get a balcony in the suites on the Fantasy class ships. Didn't want to pay that much more $$. However, when sailing the ships that have the 8 category we will definitely be there!

If it's only $100 pp I'd say go for it and prepare to be spoiled!! :)

Yep, have to agree with the above posters. Once you've had a balcony it is hard to go back. We did it, though. Went back to OV after a balcony, but we booked 2 cabins instead of 1. When we had the balcony, we spend ALOT of time there. With OV's, we spend more time out and about.

For just $100 more, I'd book the balcony.

Echoing the above posters.......the balcony is so worth it! For me, it's like an extra room. It is so nice to be getting ready for dinner & step out & witness a most beautiful sunset happening rather than running up to a deck, taking a pic of sunset, running back (which I have done)..... I enjoyed getting up in the mornings having breakfast on the balcony.....taking a little time out from exploring the ship with a little quiet, private space in the afternoons out there whether reading, snoozing or just watching the water go by....& before going to bed going out & listening to the ocean, feeling a little breeze, relaxing before bedtime.

Be warned: that "once you've had a balcony, it's hard to go back" thing does exist!!!....it hooked me!

Enjoy.....wherever you are!

Bon Voyage!

I'd go for the balcony for $100.

Alot of people say that "you aren't in your room anyway".......well if I was stuck in an inside, I'd do just about anything to get out of it:D .

I bet that most that say this haven't done balconies. I have no stats to base this off of, it's just a feeling.

I know there are plenty of cruise regulars that have done all the categories and do prefer the inside(to allow more cruising, excursions, drinking) I'm not denying that.

FOR ME.......by the time I make arrangements for the kids (or bring them), deal with the time from work, booking airfare, arranging the pet/house sitters and setting up all of the itinerary for the family......the balcony is worth the extra $$$. I envy those that can just drive a couple hours to a port and jump on a ship at a moments notice. For my situation there is so much involved I have to get all that I can out of it(7 or 8 day with a balcony)

uses....

-not a coffee drinker but I do order Hot cocoa and watch the sunrise by myself,

-sunrise with the wife while she has her coffee

-afternoon alone time (i'm there to relax...tooo much hustle/bustle in the home life)

-I love sitting out there before getting ready for dinner

-going into or from a port

-not to mention the late evening drink by moonlight.

I bet I spend at least 3 hours a day out there x's 7........less than 5 bucks an hour

If the $100/pp isn't too much of a burden, I'd say to go for the balcony. If that money will keep you from doing other things you like to do, stick with the OV.

I've had balconies ans inside cabins this past year, and while balconies are nice, I still think it's silly sometimes to pay a premium for them. For that much though, it's a pretty good upgrade.

I actually decided against it. When I found out how dinky the balconies are, and how little time we were actually in our room, plus the (albeit small) price difference and the fact we had adjoining cabins with our cruising companions on Main Deck (who didn't want to pay to upgrade) all ready.

Maybe next time.:p

I actually decided against it. When I found out how dinky the balconies are, and how little time we were actually in our room, plus the (albeit small) price difference and the fact we had adjoining cabins with our cruising companions on Main Deck (who didn't want to pay to upgrade) all ready.

Maybe next time.:p

Noooooooooo...balconies are the best. True they're not too big but it enhances the cruising experience sooooooo much.

Once you go balcony you never go back!

I know you made your decision and I can't say that I would have done the same thing cause I wouldn't have ;) :D

We always travel with others and on everyone's first cruise they always get a OV cause "we aren't spending much time in the cabin anyway"....THEN they come to OUR balcony suite and their eyes :eek: . And they inevitably say "I wish I had a balcony" :mad: And then the next time they travel with us they book a balcony and never go back. This has happened every time we have traveled with others.

There is seriously nothing better than having a balcony. There is just no comparison. Having your own little piece of quiet heaven. It's just perfect!

I am going to go against most of you. On my last cruise (VOS) I had an aft JS 1394 with a huge balcony and enjoyed it since we had 5 sea days but with my Freedom cruise coming, I booked an inside for the four of us. With 4 port days and only two sea days, I did not see a need to pay the extra $$ for the balcony. On Miracle next year, I went back to a balcony because of having 4 days at sea. I pick my cabin by location and what best suits my needs for each cruise.

Archived