Pride Camp Carnival for 2yo. Any experiences?

clawsoncrew

Hi everyone!

I'm quite worried as I've read the horror stories that so far seem to be outnumbering the great experiences. :confused:

My son, will be turning 2 (1 week before we go..birthday cruise) and we booked on Carnival specifically because of his Camp time and the fact we can have our "alone" time.

Anyone have experience at Camp Carnival on Pride?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:D

I can help a bit. We just got back on the 14th from being on the Pride. My 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old sons went in the playroom a few times.

Overall I was not super impressed with Carnival. The kids had fun. They did not like how it overlooked the video arcade, since they wanted to go play games - LOL.

The first time they were in there for about 2 hours tops in the afternoon. They did facepainting and made painted butterflys. I think 'Fun Ship Freddie' also came and read them a story too.

The next time they went in the evening and made tissue paper flowers, and then had milk & cookies and watched ice age on the floor on blankets & pillows in their pjs.

They were there the last night to watch part of the movie, and then into the afterhours (where you pay from 10pm to 3am). They were there about 9 - 11pm. They drew on tee-shirts, and got a free Carnival backpack.

Overall they had fun. Personally I don't leave them often, and I'm extremely picky when I do. They seemed to ahve fun the 2nd and 3rd times they were there. The first the older one seemed to just be ok about it, but the 2 year old loved the tunnels they play in there. They liked the scary freddie guy though. :)

What do you want to know?

I didn't like how it closed from noon -2pm, and then 3:45-4:45 - I would've used it mid afternoon most (while I put our baby down for a nap, and got ready for dinner). The counsellors didn't seem super happy either which urked me, but the kids seemed ot like them alright. They gave us a beeper to contact us, but never needed it. They seemed to rush you signing in - not letting you really say goodbye to your kid. Weirdly too, we'd bring diapers & wipes in a labeled ziplock (I'm not leaving my diaper bag there), and never got anything back. Now I know they changed my 2 year old, but we'd bring like 6 diapers each visit, and they were never there more than 2 hours, and only went 3 times. So for 6 hours total they had 18 diapers, and we never got one back. I know they didn't use them all. Each time they'd ask for more, and say there were none left from the day before.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it.

Luckily, we have grandma going along as an extra pair of hands but we were hoping to give Christopher some time away from us too. I work at home so I don't have to put him in a day care situation, I hope he does ok with the counselors.

About the diaper thing. OMG. Diapers are expensive and unless your little ones are really overactive (lol) they should have had plenty to last a couple days (the couple hours that you left them there.)

Chris isn't really into the whole videogame thing "yet" although he loves his TV time and I just hope and pray everything goes well.

What did you guys do for shore excursions? That's my latest toss up as I've been looking at all the tours and everything that's out there (WOW, there is alot)

Thanks again for your help!

Jo

We didn't end up doing the shore excursions. You're pretty limited with little ones from what we found out, so we decided to just do our own thing.

In Puerto Vallarta, we took a taxi from Tanzanite International to Diamonds International ($5). We just walked up and down the streets there browsing downtown and then at at Si Senor (expensive! - $100 for 5 people for lunch). Then we played on the beach a bit. Some of DH's family went on a whale watching tour at this port and hardly saw any whales. Others from the family went on the atv ride and had a great time.

In Mazatlan we just took a cab to the downtown area by Senor Frogs, it was about $10? We again walked the streets browsing, and ate at an outdoor restaurant between the mass of jewelery stores - it was good. They had amazing pineapple juice there. We tried going to the beach, but it wasn't nice at all, and steep steps down. Some of DH's family did excursions here but I can't recall waht they did.

In Cabo, we took a water taxi to Medano beach. We planned to rent a waverunner, but they were $40 person for 30 minutes, and we obviously couldnt bring the kids. We ended up playing on the beach all day and still weren't ready to go come 330pm. We walked quickly through the mass market by the pier there and that was it. Someone got their hip dislocated on the atv ride that day - so the hubbie was unloading their luggage off the ship as we were re-boarding. :( We got some nasty sunburns here.

We actually had a lot of fun not doing excursions, which was nice to be laid back and adjust to the kids needs. But the family members who went on excursions had fun too - so I guess it's how flexible you think you need to be with your little one, and what you'd rather do while in port. I personally liked exploring on our own.

Glad to be of help. :)

I just wanted to relax you a little and say that most of the horror stories (inlcuding my own) are in regards to the schedule and lack of organization. MY kids loved the camp. I was the one with the issues...not my kids.

So if you are worried about your child disliking it, you probably won't have that problem. Just be flexible and you will be fine. ;) I guess call it being prepared.

I'm just back from the Pride with my twin girls who had turned 2 the week before and have never been left in day care. I was impressed with the kids room and with the constant activities they have planned. Both of my girls wailed the first few times I left them, but I would wait where they couldn't see me and they ended up fine for the most part. One of my girls had to be picked up a few times because she wouldn't stop crying, but my usual "momma's girl" LOVED it so much, she never wanted to leave once she settled down. The women who work there were very kind and capable. I brought them to the Camp asleep in their stroller for some free time at night as well.

In Puerto Vallarta, we had an AMAZING time at the Krystal, which is a 10 minute walk from the ship. It's $20 per adult for a day pass, but that is applied toward drinks and food. They have a great playground that was shaded while we were there in the morning, a really nice children's pool and pretty beach.

We did the Mazatlan shopping and beach excursion and it was a disaster. No shallow kids pool and the beach was only accessbile down a steep and large drop off, so we just sat under a cabana and played in the sand. Better to do the El Cid on your own.

In Cabo we did the Land's End boat tour and beach break. Also not a good option with a toddler as the beach break is not at a hotel - just a marked off area on the beach with no restrooms, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I actually prefer the Princess cruises we've taken, except that the Carnival kids program is better, so it will be a toss up which we choose next time.

Best,

Mia

Archived