Cruise ship keeps my passport?

Knighton

This is a very interesting subject.

We work in the Caribbean all winter and visit many islands. In the last thirteen years I can't tell you how many people we've met, or heard about, that missed the ship with a copy of their passport attempting to fly off the island. And it doesn't happen. Period.

They have to locate the closest American Consulate and apply for a replacement. Depending on the timing, it could take 3-5 days, or longer. That's why we've always carried them whenever we are off the ship in a non-American port.

If you don't miss the ship, but have your passport stolen or lost, the Purser can expedite replacement with the copy you placed in your cabin safe. Usually the next port, or two.

But if you miss the ship without one, you become an illegal alien in that country and only the Consulate can help you.

I would be intrigued at the response from your cruise line and I hope you have time to share it with us.

When I was on the Grand Princess 4 years ago on a Mediterranean cruise, they did take my passport when we checked in and gave it back a few days before we got back. I was very worried about this, in case they lost it. But I did get it back about 9 days later.

So, when I was in all the ports (Athens, Istanbul, Italy, Monte Carlo), I did not have a passoprt with me. Glad there were not any problems!!

I called RCL today-they said they do not keep them. I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll leave it at that. However, I will definitely make a few copies of our passports and keep them with our stuff, just in case.

Archived