1st Cruise / Need Alaska float plane advise

Susiebell2

Do I ever need honest, expert advise! Our ship (Volendam) will be going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I can only afford to take one float plane excursion, and would like it to be the most scenic possible. I had planned to go on the bear viewing trip, but it is too late in the season and it is not offered. The helicopter flights are so expensive. What do you suggest?

Do I ever need honest, expert advise! Our ship (Volendam) will be going to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I can only afford to take one float plane excursion, and would like it to be the most scenic possible. I had planned to go on the bear viewing trip, but it is too late in the season and it is not offered. The helicopter flights are so expensive. What do you suggest?

What month are you going up to Alaska?

In Juneau, when you get off the ship, there normally is a booth that sells excess and unsold flight seeing space. The price is half of whats charged on the ship. I took a float plane ride that went up the Taku inlet and then up over the ice fields - coming back down over the Mendenhall glacier and back to Juneau. It was spectacular. Remember if the weather is marginal they have an alternative flight plan that is not as spectactular as the grand tour. If you buy on the ship your stuck but if you buy off the ship you can make up your own mind as to going or not. There is one caviot. If the flights are all sold out then they are not available on shore - so you are taking a bit of a chance. You can also walk toward town and at the end of the dock is where the float plane terminal is and see if they have an available seat. ( sort of stand by ) Have a great time.

Redmond Cruiser suggested going to the booth near the dock to buy discount flight tickets for the flights that have not filled up. Does anyone know exactly where this booth is? I appreciate everyone's help. I stumbled upon this website by accident and have learned a tremendous amount from all of you. THANK YOU!!!:)

The booth used to be north of the gondola station. In Juneau they have several docking areas. The first two berths are close to where the booth used to be. The berths that I am talking about are the northern most two. I have been to Juneau on 9 cruises but it has been two years since I was last there. Don't worry, the booth is not that hard to find.

Here is our experience:

We pre-booked a rare shore excursion, via HAL, for the Misty Fjords. It sold out prior to the sail and there was a substantial wait list for cancellations.

I am thinking so much depends upon timing, within season, how many ships are in port at the same time and for how long, on a given day, versus local resources.

It has gotten so challenging for some popular, but limited participation excursions, that local providers alternate between cruise lines, which sails they will accommodate, during peak season.

And lastly, it's Alaska and it is not uncommon for an excursion, particularily those involving air, to cancel at the last minute, due to weather.

Susiebell2, your September 21st sailing date puts you up in Alaska very late in the season, when weather conditions are less likely to be favorable. Many passengers select those late season departures in order to take advantage of the lower cruise fares (which exist because their is less demand at that time). However, by doing so, you run the risk of poor weather conditions. . .and weather is a major factor in how enjoyable your Alaska experience will be.

I would strongly recommend an earlier departure date, in order to have a better chance of favorable weather conditions. If cost is a factor, you would be better off going at the very start of the season (i.e., in May) as opposed to late September.

Now, with regards to your original topic, I stress to all my clients that a true "glacier experience" consists of two parts. Seeing the face of a glacier from the cruise ship. AND, most importantly, seeing their magnitude and grandeur from the air. To the non-believers I offer the following. Believe me when I say that even these spectacular photos can't compare to actually being there first-hand, experiencing this all in a true 360 degree environment.

Please turn your speakers on (if you have them) and maximize any new windows that open up, after clicking on the following link. Enjoy!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Gf4ii4NF

Archived