Stockholm Canal Tours

We received our Stockholm Cards in the mail the other day and noticed there were two canal (barge) tours on the "free" list, the Royal and the Historic. I'm trying to work our one day to see many things and the Question is:

How long (in time) are the Canal Tours? If we catch the 1030 tour will we be back in time for the Changing of the Guard (we're there on a Sunday so I think the guard change is later)?

The plan was then to go over to Vasa and Skansen (including the aquarium), ferry back to Slussen then walk back to the Viking terminal area where we'll be docked (using one of the routes suggested by Eken or Northbound).

Is this a reasonable plan, timewise??

Thanks,

Greg

Hi!

The Historical Canal Tour takes you around Kungsholmen, Långholmen and Reimersholme so you'll see more of the city as it travels mostly on Lake Mälaren, west of Slussen (the lock). It takes one hour and departs from The City Hall.

The Royal Canal Tour takes you around Djurgården, Fjäderholmarna, Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde, the Vasa Museum on Saltsjön, east of Slussen (the lock) and Södermalm. It also takes one hour and departs from Strömkajen, outside the Grand Hotel close to the Old Town.

If you want to see the changing of the guards, I'd say take the Royal Canal Tour as it closer to the Royal Palace. I think the changing of the guards take place at noon on Sundays but Im not sure. However, you should make it in time!

I dont know what you have been told about the changing of the guards but its not as fancy as at Buckingham Palace. Mostly, they just wear plain uniforms and walk in formations. Sometimes they play music though. I'd skip that for a stroll around the Old Town instead. But hey, that's me! ;)

The rest of the plan also sounds reasonable, timewise.

Hi!

The Historical Canal Tour takes you around Kungsholmen, Långholmen and Reimersholme so you'll see more of the city as it travels mostly on Lake Mälaren, west of Slussen (the lock). It takes one hour and departs from The City Hall.

The Royal Canal Tour takes you around Djurgården, Fjäderholmarna, Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde, the Vasa Museum on Saltsjön, east of Slussen (the lock) and Södermalm. It also takes one hour and departs from Strömkajen, outside the Grand Hotel close to the Old Town.

If you want to see the changing of the guards, I'd say take the Royal Canal Tour as it closer to the Royal Palace. I think the changing of the guards take place at noon on Sundays but Im not sure. However, you should make it in time!

I dont know what you have been told about the changing of the guards but its not as fancy as at Buckingham Palace. Mostly, they just wear plain uniforms and walk in formations. Sometimes they play music though. I'd skip that for a stroll around the Old Town instead. But hey, that's me! ;)

The rest of the plan also sounds reasonable, timewise.

Eken:

We are all enjoying your suggestions for your city. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

Mine is regarding the guards. I read somewhere that some days they are mounted on horseback. Also that they have a concert most days. I am a sucker for music and for a parade - so can you tell me if this is still taking place? We will be in Stockholm on Monday 30 August.

I was worried about not having enough time, and I have only 3 things on my must-do list.

1, the Changing of the Guard/band concert,

2. Vasa

3. Gamla skan walking tour

Now I think I must add the City Hall!

Carol

Hi Carol!

I enjoy watching the mounted guards but they dont parade every day. These are the parade dates for the rest of the year: July 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 and August 02, 03, 04, 05, 08 and 10.

This is their route: Lidingövägen-Stureplan-Nybroplan-Hamngatan-Regeringsgatan-Gustav Adolfs torg-Norrbro-Skeppsbron-Slottsbacken-Yttre borggården (The Royal Palace).

On weekdays they start at 11.35 am and reach the Palace at 12.15.

On weekends they start at 12.35 and reach the Palace at 13.15.

The ordinary changing of the guards take place at the Palace every day on Monday-Saturday at 12.15 and on Sunday at 13.15.Their parade starts at Armémuseum (The Army Museum) approx 25 minutes earlier. The Army museum is located at Riddargatan 13. The nearest subway station is Östermalmstorg (Sibyllegatan exit). Or take bus 47 for Djurgården and get off at Nybroplan.

If you need more information about walking tours in Gamla Stan you can e-mail me at maria@stockholmstories.com

Got to run! Simon & Garfunkel are on tour and I have a ticket for tonights concert.

Eken :cool:

Eken:

We are all enjoying your suggestions for your city. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

Mine is regarding the guards. I read somewhere that some days they are mounted on horseback. Also that they have a concert most days. I am a sucker for music and for a parade - so can you tell me if this is still taking place? We will be in Stockholm on Monday 30 August.

I was worried about not having enough time, and I have only 3 things on my must-do list.

1, the Changing of the Guard/band concert,

2. Vasa

3. Gamla skan walking tour

Now I think I must add the City Hall!

Carol

Be warned that Not all Stockholm canal tours are free - only certain times of the day. While it may change during the seasons, the "free" tours are in the earlier morning and late afternoon. We took our Stockholm Card "free" canal tour at 4:30PM and found it to be quite enjoyable. They had headsets that narrated the cruise in several languages, including English.

Hi!

It's nice to hear that the boat tours are enjoyable. I went on one of the bus tours some time ago and it was kind of amusing how the tape was out of synch but for a visitor it must be quite confusing when what you see is not what you hear. :rolleyes:

Be warned that Not all Stockholm canal tours are free - only certain times of the day. While it may change during the seasons, the "free" tours are in the earlier morning and late afternoon. We took our Stockholm Card "free" canal tour at 4:30PM and found it to be quite enjoyable. They had headsets that narrated the cruise in several languages, including English.

I had a similar experience on a tour in Gdansk, Poland but with a live guide. She was at the front of the bus facing the rear and announced everything when she saw it, which was after we had passed it.

I had a similar experience on a tour in Gdansk, Poland but with a live guide. She was at the front of the bus facing the rear and announced everything when she saw it, which was after we had passed it.

Talk about a pain in the neck!!! LOL, funny stuff :)

Brahmama

Like you I am a sucker for music and a parade. I lived in the old town as a child, and used to run over to the palace to watch the changing of the guards quite often.

I have checked August 30, and it says there will be a band on that date. The ceremony takes place at the palace at 12.15. As Eken has told you they start marching from the Army Museum 25 minutes before that. In my mind there is no need to go to the Army Museum and march all the way with them; it will only make it difficult for you to get a good place to watch from. Be at the palace in good time instead; ask someone where to stand to best see the ceremony.

The changing of the guard is a rather short thing. But with a band present, there will follow a concert. With some luck it will be a marching concert. The whole thing usually takes 35 minutes.

Archived