How is your vacation money spent??

When we travel, I find that 50% of my vacation money is spent on food, and about 20% on shopping. The remainder is drinks or entertainment. If we rent a condo that 50% on food goes way down, so I will often splurge on shopping.

On my upcoming cruise in April, I know at least 1/2 will be spent on shopping at the different ports, and the other on whatever.;)

We rented a condo for a week in Clearwater, FL for a week last July and took a 7 day cruise on Navigator in June. All in all, we paid around $4000 for Navigator with a balcony and three people. We paid around $5500 on the condo trip by the time we bought food, the cost of the condo, beach chairs, ect. After that trip we decided that we're not renting a condo anytime soon, cruises are more fun and so much cheaper.

But, when we cruise, we probably spend about 40% on shopping, 20% on drinks, and the rest on excursions. On a land based vacation we usually spend about 60% on drinks/food, 20% on shopping and the rest on random things.

We hardly ever shop--not really into "trinkets"! Don't do many excursions any more, either! (Been there, done that) Most of our vacation $$ goes to food and drink, lodging, and depending where we are, gambling (Vegas, Atlantic City, Cruiseship, etc...)

We do tend to like the better hotels, etc...

Archived