Alaska + Denali on a scooter??

anchorman

I have MS and use a portable scooter if I have to walk more than a couple of city blocks. (I get around with a cane most of the time, though, including travel for work and hauling myself through airports. I'm also able to climb a flight of stairs, if it has a banister, though I don't like to).

My wife and I are thinking about an Alaskan cruise, including the bus trip through Denali and, possibly, the train trip that some of the cruise lines include as part of their package.

We'd appreciate hearing the experience of others who have done this with a scooter, especially embarking, disembarking and the ability to handle the bus and/or train portions of the trip.

Thanks.

Ed

we have done Alaska/Denali with a scooter, but we also take a fold up wheel chair as a back up. The train trip (we were with Celebrity) was completely accessible because the cars have an elevator to go from the dining level up to the observation level. but we were unable to use the scooter for the elevator; we had them place that in the baggage car. again, with the Denali trip we did not and could not use the scooter. The busses that are used belong to the National Park Service and they are nothing more than glorified school busses - i believe made by the same company in High Point, NC. all the hotels and motels on the trip had access and we had booked handicapped rooms - again through Celebrity. Embarking and disembarking you can use your scooter and of course because Alaska complies with ADA regulations you will find cored curbs and ramps just as you would here in the lower 48.:)

That info is a help. I'm not concerned about not fitting the scooter into the train's elevator because I'm very mobile with a cane...just not for more than a block or two...and don't think I'll need wheels onbord.

I've seen pictures of the Denali buses, but are there opportunities to get off and walk around where I'd want wheels? And, is there a secure place to leave the scooter at the start/finish of that tour?

the Denali tour we took began and ended at the lodge at which we were staying, so the scooter was left in our room. as I best recall the tour, there is only one stop at which you can actually get off for a while, and that is where the bus turns around to return - about 2hours into the park. at that place you could get refreshments,etc and there were some steps which you could climb - but did not have to - to get pictures. at other times,depending on the bus driver, he may stop along the road for picture taking if he/she spots bear or elk or other wildlife. But there you only need to get off the bus if you want to take pictures. hugh:)

DH uses a manual wheelchair for any distant walking. We've found great vendors at each of the ports able to accomadate our needs, so don't rule out excursions.

In Ketchikan, we are flying with islandwings on a float plane. They will pick us up in a H/C accessible van. the only walking will be the steps up to the plane and I understand that they have made arrangements to lift someone that could not make it up that step.

In Juneau, we are taking Orca's Capt Larry Whale Watching Tour which is H/C accessible also. He will drop us off after the tour in Mendenhall which has a accessible visitor's center and a viewing walkway. Mt. Roberts tram is also accessible.

In Skagway, we have booked with Chilkoot Charters for the Yukon Rail & Bus excursion. The train is accessible. For the bus, they said they could store the wheelchair since he can walk the few steps needed to get in and out of the bus during stops.

From all I've read on this board, it sounds like a manual wheelchair will work better on land, but the scooter will be great for the ship.

Archived