Aft verandah stateroom??

boneslides

My husband and I are booked for our very first cruise at the beginning of September on board the Noordam. Our TA recommended one of the aft staterooms. Never having set foot on a cruise ship before, we were wondering if this is a good choice? Are noise and ship motion a concern?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!:)

Let me try a recap of many, many postings on this subject: many people on this forum rave about the aft cabins because of the size of the verandahs, the pleasure of watching the wake, the view when departing ports, and the gentle rocking motion.

Others like those aspects but sometimes get annoyed by occasional soot and/or trash on the deck, lack of privacy for about half the depth of the verandah, and sometimes a "vibration" on the lower decks - 4&5.

Personally, I like to be able to see where the ship is heading, not where it has been, and would not choose an aft cabin. :)

Just a suggestion: For Alaska, I'd consider a side balcony (and, if it's a one-way rather than a round trip, pick the side that will face land more of the time!).

A wake view from an aft cabin with an extra-large balcony is lovely for a cruise in tropical climes, where you're there more for the weather and the experience than for the scenery. But in Alaska, the focus will be on seeing the scenery, and that's much more likely to be off to the side(s) of the ship than directly behind it. In SE Alaska and British Columbia, you'll often have scenery on BOTH sides, but directly behind you, mostly water.

Regardless of where you end up, you will enjoy the experience - Alaska is beautiful!

Just a suggestion: For Alaska, I'd consider a side balcony (and, if it's a one-way rather than a round trip, pick the side that will face land more of the time!).

If you were speaking to the OP: the Noordam is doing Seattle round trips this year. If you were speaking to me: we have a port side on the Lower Promenade for our one-way from Seward to Vancouver. :)

Yes, I was responding to the OP - sorry not to have made that clear - but obviously, you and I think alike on the matter of cabin location for Alaska!

And I didn't check Noordam's itinerary before posting, but now that you've supplied the info (thanks!), I'd reiterate - for the benefit of the OP - that she should consider booking on the side rather than aft, though since it's a round-trip, it doesn't so much matter which side.

If you were speaking to the OP: the Noordam is doing Seattle round trips this year. If you were speaking to me: we have a port side on the Lower Promenade for our one-way from Seward to Vancouver. :)

Archived