QM2 San Francisco arrival plans?

Emu

Thanks to HighCbob and the official Cunard press release, we know arrival and departure times have been rescheduled to 8pm on 4 Feb & 8pm on 5 Feb. (3 hours later on both)

Now the strange thing is that QM2 is expected to sail under the Golden Gate at 3.30pm.

So can anyone advise what it will be doing for the next 4.5 hours until it docks at pier 27?????:confused:

By the way LOW tide is at 6.50pm............ so unless it needs a rising tide that does not seem to be a factor.

Is it possible that it is just going to slowly cruise around in the harbour??? If so....... Why??? Is there another ship at the pier???

I would imagine the tv & press would be more interested in the spectacle of passing under the Golden Gate for the first time rather than the actual docking.

Also what actual celebrations are planned????????? Doesn't seem to be much detail out there!!!

If you have any info........... (or even care to speculate!) feel free.

Thanks to all.

EMU:D

Thanks to HighCbob and the official Cunard press release, we know arrival and departure times have been rescheduled to 8pm on 4 Feb & 8pm on 5 Feb. (3 hours later on both)

Now the strange thing is that QM2 is expected to sail under the Golden Gate at 3.30pm.

So can anyone advise what it will be doing for the next 4.5 hours until it docks at pier 27?????:confused:

By the way LOW tide is at 6.50pm............ so unless it needs a rising tide that does not seem to be a factor.

Is it possible that it is just going to slowly cruise around in the harbour??? If so....... Why??? Is there another ship at the pier???

I would imagine the tv & press would be more interested in the spectacle of passing under the Golden Gate for the first time rather than the actual docking.

Also what actual celebrations are planned????????? Doesn't seem to be much detail out there!!!

If you have any info........... (or even care to speculate!) feel free.

Thanks to all.

EMU:D

Hello, Besides, being a new member of this board, I'm also a reporter in the San Francisco Bay Area, and would love to talk to you by phone if you are planning to come out and see the QM2 in SF. Please let me know at rg_3@juno.com.

So far, I've not been able to find any information re: special events surrounding QM2's maiden call here in SF. I sent off an email today to a contact at the Port of San Francisco PR department, and will have to see if there is any response.

Nothing on the Hornblower website about any special excursions on that date to welcome her (or to take her back out the next day), and nothing on the Blue and Gold Ferry website either. Perhaps security is prohibitive for such an activity. If I find anything I'll speak up and post it here.

So far, I've not been able to find any information re: special events surrounding QM2's maiden call here in SF. I sent off an email today to a contact at the Port of San Francisco PR department, and will have to see if there is any response.

Nothing on the Hornblower website about any special excursions on that date to welcome her (or to take her back out the next day), and nothing on the Blue and Gold Ferry website either. Perhaps security is prohibitive for such an activity. If I find anything I'll speak up and post it here.

Hi Ken, I work for the Oakland Tribune, would you mind talking to me about why you are interested in seeing the QM2?

Roman

Not sure why the delay - but it doesn't matter to us.

We're going to be in the city that day. Having sailed QM2 in her first year, we love this ship and would not miss seeing her sail in to San Francisco. We're hoping to get some good photos and video, weather permitting.

Hi Ken, I work for the Oakland Tribune, would you mind talking to me about why you are interested in seeing the QM2?

Roman

Roman, since you are with the press you may also wish to contact the following person:

Cunard Line Public Relations/press

Jackie Matthews

Public Relations Manager

jmatthews@cunard.com

Hornblower Cruises is doing an excursion to welcome QM2 to San Francisco on 4 February (and many thanks to Roman for the information). It's listed on their website (

http://www.hornblower.com/specialty-cruises.aspx

under "Specialty Cruises".

Personally, I'm hoping for giant sprays from the water cannons on the fireboats as part of the welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Jack & I just got home from San Francisco watching the maiden call of QM2.

Great day – we were shocked at how many people came to greet her – tens of thousands!

She came under the Golden Gate Bridge at around 4PM, then proceeded to sail towards the Bay Bridge. There was a huge flotilla of ships, boats, canoes, kayaks, jet skis and helicopters.

She stayed at station outside of Pier 27 waiting for the tide to rise and finally docked at around 8:30PM.

Seeing her today just makes us want to sail on her again.

Pics are at the following link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/557436551VCgAsn

Archived