Which NCL ships sail past the volcano??

Beally

Does anyone know if the Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America both sail past the volcano on every sailing? This will help me decide which ship to book. Also has anyone flown from NY? Is the long flight as bad as I am imagining?

Thanks

Does anyone know if the Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America both sail past the volcano on every sailing? This will help me decide which ship to book. Also has anyone flown from NY? Is the long flight as bad as I am imagining?

Thanks

Both POH & POA sail past the volcano. If the weather is bad for some reason or another problem on a particular cruise the volcano might be missed. This is not the normal but it has happened.

We have been on both ships, both are nice - give me a choice of either one at this moment I would pick the POA.

I would call and ask about a specific ship and itinerary. I was told that not every itinerary includes going past the lava. Thankfully, we saw it and it was breath taking. Bring binoculars and dry underwear.

We have been on all four of the NCL (POH, POA, POAl, and NCL Wind) ships in Hawaii and on all four we went past the volcano. Perhaps some of the cruise ships that come from the mainland or Tahiti don't go past the volcano but from experience the Hawaii NCL ships do unless there is a problem with weather or some other type of problem.

I would call and ask about a specific ship and itinerary. I was told that not every itinerary includes going past the lava. Thankfully, we saw it and it was breath taking. Bring binoculars and dry underwear.

Hi

What about the Carnival Spirit? I'll be so disappointed if we don't. Why dry underwear:eek: ?

Thanx

• 1 month later...
The 11-day WIND itinerary does NOT cruise by the volcano. Study your cruise brochure carefully. I believe all of the NCLA ships do cruise by the volcano.

Kapoho!!! Say it isn't so!! Anyway - I did as you said and looked at the website where I bought the cruise and NCL's website and it doesn't say anything specifically about sailing by the volcano at night on either the 10 or 11 day Wind cruises - though I just was on there in November on a 10-day and we did sail by. However, they both leave Hilo at about the same time at night so why wouldn't it sail past the volcano on the way to Maui?? I don't have an actual cruise brochure though to look at.

Emi

I really do not know why the WIND does not cruise by the volcano on the 11-night itinerary. We have done this cruise twice...and neither time did we do the volcano viewing. On the 11-nt. cruise, the WIND leaves Hilo and heads north to Maui. On the 10-nt. itinerary...the WIND leaves Hilo and heads south toward Fanning Island...and on the way passes right by the volcano.

We are able to see all the cruise ships from our house as they head toward the volcano. On Sunday evening we only see the Pride of America. We never see the WIND go by on a Sunday eve. when she has been in Hilo for the day. But, we do see the WIND cruise by on the Thursdays she is in town....which is the 10-nt. itinerary.

Perhaps because the WIND is a little older and slower, there is not enough time to sail by the volcano and still make it to Maui by the following morning.

Also, I believe most of the ships leave Hilo, head south and cruise by the volcano and then turn around and head back and pass Hilo again and head on up to Maui or Kauai. For some reason, the ships do not continue on past the volcano. Maybe because the waters are too rough??

A few times I have been awake and have seen the same ships that passed by my house earlier in the evening on the way to the volcano...heading back in the opposite direction around midnight. It has always been a mystery to me....maybe someday we will get the true answer why the ships do not head south around the Big Island.

Well...that is a really bummer! Not really for me so much since I've sailed past 3 times already but for the other people on the cruise I've been talking to. It seems so weird since I can drive from there to Kona in like 2 hours and can see Maui from Kona - so why can't the ship sail past on its way to Maui...lol!! Seems darn logical to me....

Oh well - thanks for clearing that up.

Emi

Archived