Just wondering....

how many of you leave your children behind? We are sailing the AOS 3/11 and are leaving our 3 1/2 year old son home with my sister. My DH feels it wouldn't be a vacation if we took him because all we would do is chase him around all day. We went on the Valor in March of 04 and had a great time, missed him, but had a great time. I just feel he is way to young. Just my opinion.....

Can't wait till his older and can take him with though.

We will be taking MOS in August and we are taking both our children DD (15) & DD (2 1/2). A family vacation we take everybody, and after the cruise we will be spenting another 6 days in Disney too. But that is just us.

Stacy

We do a family vacation each year and hubby and I do a cruise each year, now two a year since we are empty nesters.

I never felt guilty about going away on our own because I firmly believe that couple time is required for a strong marriage. Our kids would stay at my mom's so Grandma got to have some quality time with the kids and we got some well deserved private time.

Go have fun and cherish the time!

Not yet. My son went when he was 5. This time around, he is 10 and my dd is 3. Potty trained. They both will go to AO. That way, dha nd I get our time alone as a couple, yet our children are with us to enjoy the cruise in many ways as well. My dh would like to cruise alone, but I told him we had plenty of time to do that....(lord willing)

We go away for a week without the kids every year and take them on a vacation every year. We have cruised with and without them. We have been doing this since our now oldest was 1. They are now 9/7/6. They have a great time with the grandparents. A win/win situation. We feel it is important to have some time just as a couple and also think the kids learn some independence, appreciate that Mom and Dad enjoy each other and always know we come back with love. To make it a little easier on them, I write a note for everyday we are gone and leave them behind for my parents to put out for them in the morning. We say today we are in St.Maarten enjoying a day looking at the fishes, we miss you and talk about you lots, bet you are having fun. See you soon...(you get the idea ;) ) We are always excited to get home and see them. Whatever you decided I am sure you will have a great trip!

Michelle

our first no kid trip was a 2 week vaca in hawaii, they were3 and 5 then, 2 yrs ago we went on the star princess with them and 3 nephews ages, 2- 7yr olds, 8 yr old, 10yr old and a 12 yr old. that was a very good vaca total if 14 people in our group

last yr we went alone, thats a vacation, we felt guilty until we boarde the ship after tat we made sure we had a gift for them from each port.

this yr they go with us on explorer in march

we like taking them but every once in a while no kids is nice

For DW & me, it's been quite a dilema. In November, we sailed JOS w/ our 3 yo dd & our 1 yo twin daughters! While we had a wonderful time, it was very demanding at times, and even left my wife in tears one night. So we have decided to sail Enchantment by ourselves (next THURSDAY!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!). But I have to confess that I'm already missing my girls...

This will be the most time we've ever spent away from them...but I'm choosing to believe that it will be a very healthy experience for my wife and I, who desperately just need a break.

We'll let you know how it goes!

We have done 1 cruise with our oldest when she was 3 but my parents were also on the cruise. We did one where we left both girls with my mom. And we leave in 11 days for a cruise and the kids are staying with my parents. Our youngest is 18mths and I just dont' feel like he is ready and that we would have much fun with him. When they get older I look forward to taking some family cruises but we will still take some just the two of us. I do have to admit I am a little worried about leaving him as it is an 11 night cruise and with a pre-cruise stay and overnight flights we will be gone 2 weeks.

I think every marriage needs some alone time for parents so they can reconnect like old times. Your child is so young he'll never remember you didn't take it - take him when he is older and can enjoy it more. And you'll be able to enjoy it more with him.

Use the cruise as a second or third honeymoon while you still can!

At his age, he won't even recall a vacation--I'd wait until the child is old enough to actually appreciate it! (I'll never forget at Disney World, a family with small toddlers crying and carrying on, and the parents pleading with the kids to enjoy--and saying "don't you know how much this is costing" What a waste. Little kids don't need a vacation, but parents do! Go. Enjoy. Feel no guilt! It's good to get away--for both the parents AND the child!

We have cruised both with and without our DD's in the past.

Now that they are older and almost ready to leave the nest (oldest DD will be 17 next month - leaving for college in a year and a half :eek: ) we will be taking them on all our cruises (and other vacations). We have two planned so far, and another in the works for 2008 (hopefully). Family time is so very important to us now that time is swiftly flying by, too soon we'll have the time to enjoy those cruises "all by ourselves" :o .

But - while they are still young, I say GO FOR IT!

My DH and I are planning to take a fall cruise this year without kids (ages 9 and 7). We were just married in October and I feel that it is as important for us to take "couple time" as it is for "family time." DH has a 12 yr old son, however, he hasn't had full-time kids since his son was 2. Everyone has been adjusting well, but it will be a nice break. They are going to want to go cruising with us but they will be staying at mamaw and papaw's house. Who happen to live next door. They will be happy as can be!! We would like to go cruising alone once a year but agree that we can only do that if we also plan a family vacation....so DC it is this summer!!!!

My DS went on his first cruise when he was 3 and he does say that he remembers parts of it. My husband and I do a weekend every now and then but 7 days without the little one and I would not be having a good time. I would miss him so much and worry about being away from him it wouldn't be worth it to me.

My husband and I waited a while before we had children so we had our "alone" time before DS came along. I envy those that can leave their kids behind. It just doesn't work for me so we bring grandma with us and everyone has a blast :)

We ahve done many vacations with the kids and many without! We went to Disney World and left DS with Grandma when he was 1y/o. Please tell me what the point of bringing him would have been! We took him when he was 5 and old enough to enjoy it! We have also cruised with and without. I think it is most important for YOU to do what is right for YOU and not what is right for someone else. :)

Our DS is 15 y.o. and he will be going with us in Feb. and he went 4 years ago as well. He loves cruising. Would I have taken him when he was really young? Probably not. He wasn't always the best at traveling anywhere when he was little. My DH and I have went on several vacations (including 3 weeks in England) and not taken DS. He would stay at Grandpa's and have a much better time with him. Of course every child is different and only you know your own children and whether or not they travel well.

Like many of the above posters we too take a mom and dad vacation then a family vacation. This year will be are 1st cruise so this will be just us for the 4 days on the MOS, then take the kids (7 and 15 months ) either to Disney in Sept. or on the Disney cruise. the family does not mind watching them while we take our time off, besides I am sure that my daughter has had her share of Va. and Myrtle beach now lol. Enjoy yout trip alone and make up for it with one for the kids later on :p

We have two great kids [DS (8) and DD (2)] and for the past couple of years we have taken our DS with us on a Spring Cruise. We haven't taken our DD with us yet since we feel she is too young. Maybe in another year or two we will get to bring her with us. Then in the Fall my DH and I have taken a cruise sans the kids. I miss them terribly while we are gone, but the internet is a wonderful thing. We have made use of that feature on every cruise that we have done. Happy Cruising!

We've done vacations with and without kids. IMO, if you don't take them, you will miss them BUT at some point you need to get your marriage back and have a real vacation. We had a minister when our kids were young who always stressed that no matter how broke you are, you need to make time and money for romance away from the kids. I quoted him a lot on that topic!

When we cruised last year, it was British school holidays. There were lots of families onboard. Two families were cruising together with a total of 11 kids, all under 10. Yes, they were all theirs, and no, they were not well-behaved. The poor moms looked exhausted and I really felt sorry for them. The dads didn't seem to be much help at all.

Viv

Those of you who leave the kids with grandparents- be sure to let them know how much you appreciate them helping out. My own parents were 'not the grandparent type', and didn't do sleepovers. How I would have loved to be able to leave my daughter with grandma for a week!

Last night was the first night the wife and I have gotten semi-dressed up and had a date, (Rod Stewart Concert.) in God knows how long. We left the 3 kids with Grandma. (14, 2 and 3 mos.) As my wife so eloquently said last night...we need to make a more conscious effort to do this more often. Last night just makes my hunger for our cruise in July even more intense.

As I travel quite a bit for work it will be easier on me leaving the young ones for a week. The wife will have some difficultly but my thinking is it will get easier the more the bar tab increases.

Remember you and your husbands relationship needs nuturing just like your kids do.

I just got back from EOS on Monday. It was my entire family, including 10 children. I would love to try cruising without kids, this was my 1st. I love my kids and nieces and nephews dearly, but all the adults were stressed out the 1st 2 days. I still managed to enjoy myself, but it was difficult.

Archived