Maui Questions- Convertible and Haleakala

ehough

Right now, we are planning on heading on the Road to Hana on day one in Maui. I'm thinking of surprising DH by renting a convertible for this (right now we have just an economy car booked). The second Maui day we were planning on doing Haleakala and hopefully hitting a beach if only for a couple of hours.

My questions being:

1. I really only "require" the convertible for Day One. We were planning on parking near the pier and keeping the car for two days. However, I'd rather not pay the extra $$ for the convertible if we only want it for the first day. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not we should keep it for that second day? Is it worth the extra money just to avoid the hassle of having to catch the shuttle on the second day to pick up another car, or should we turn it in after day one and get an economy car for the second day?

2. Along the same vein, is it even advisable to have a convertible for Haleakala? Are there any pros and cons for having a convertible for Haleakala?

3. How long, approximately, would it take one to see Haleakala? I realize that would vary widely by person but would it be possible to see Haleakala (assuming we leave at a somewhat reasonable hour, like 9am) and still have some time left over for the beach? Our ship leaves Maui at 6pm.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

We had a convertible when we drove up Haleakala in Sep. '05 and it was great. It got a little chilly towards the top but the views from the convertible were fantastic. As best I remember, the trip up and back took about 3 1/2 hours. :)

Howdy all. My DW and I have been to Maui several times and found that the best way to see Hanna and The volcano is to rent a Jeep. Hanna is a long day so go early in the morning. Spectacular views, lots of photo op's and tons of curves. Around 700 curves. On Haleakala there is a winery that is worth checking out. Tedeshi (Close?) Pretty good Pineapple wine.

The convertible is worth the money, there are great views everywhere and you deserve to see them all.

I wish I was there now! It’s 10 outside.............

Who did you rent your car from in Lahaina? I am having trouble finding a car rental agency not in the airport that will shuttle to the pier.

Thanks

No rental car companies will shuttle you from Lahaina to their airport locations in Kahului. It's simply not practical or reasonable because it's a 45 minute to 1 hour drive down and across the island. The rental companies rightly believe it to be too expensive in time and fuel costs to shuttle that distance. Edited: Sorry, think I misread. You are looking for locations not at the airports? There really aren't many. There is the one in Kaanapali and, I think, someone once mentioned an off-brand actually in Lahaina, but that's about it.

However, most of the rental companies have locations on the west side of the island. Try entering "Kapalua" or "West Maui Airport" or the designator "JHM" instead. One company has a location in Kaanapali at one of the resorts, but I don't know which one. The others are mostly in a "row" off of the main road (30) up by the West Maui Airport, which is a small commuter airport. The rental car companies will provide shuttles from the Lahaina tender pier to their Kapalua locations. It's about a 10 minute shuttle ride.

beachchick

Just a thought for your second day. We did the bus to Lahaina NCL tour $25pp (only NCL we did). Once there, after a walk around historic town of Lahaina we caught the $1 bus to Whaler's Village. Then a short walk along the beach to Ka'anapali for some great snorkelling. It was one of our best days.

Archived