5 Day Splendour of the Seas

dscomp

We are going on a 5 day cruise in April on the Splendour and since it's been a few years since we have been on her, we were wondering a few things. Do they do the cocktail seminar on a 5 day cruise and does the Splendour have Lattitudes coffe bar? We had such a great time at the seminar in December on the Rhapsody we want to do it again with some friends!

We sailed this time last year on Splendour and although there was a cocktail seminar, it was not the same as the one on the Rhapsody--but then it didn't cost anything either. There were just a few of us, 10-12, in a small bar with a bartender who taught us about different types of glasses for different types of drinks, etc., and how to make a few drinks. He then gave each drink away to somebody in the crowd based on who had the closest birthday, who was the oldest, who answered a trivia question correctly, etc. It was fun and he gave me the "Splendour Martini" because he said I was paying the most attention (I was taking notes on the drinks!), and it was AWESOME! I will definitely have another when we sail her again in 2.5 weeks.

I don't remember if there was a Lattitudes or not, but I don't believe so. However, she has been refurbished since then, so it may have been added. Hopefully somebody who has sailed her more recently can answer that question.

I was on the Jan 6 sailing on the Splendour. They do have the Lattitudes now. I do not remember them having the cocktail seminar, but I got sick during the cruise, so they may have had it and I just didn't see it. We had a good time, but it seems to be everytime I go on another cruise, they have change something. This was my 20 cruise, so I love cruising, but it just seems to me they are cutting corners on things. But it was a great cruise, sick or not. Hope you have a great time!

I was on the Jan. 6th cruise as well and there is the coffee bar (serving Seattles Best & Ben & Jerry's ice cream). I did not see a cocktail seminar and we studied each day's Compass to pick out activities. I know that is something we would have gone to so I am sure they did not have it.

We are going on a 5 day cruise in April on the Splendour and since it's been a few years since we have been on her, we were wondering a few things. Do they do the cocktail seminar on a 5 day cruise and does the Splendour have Lattitudes coffe bar? We had such a great time at the seminar in December on the Rhapsody we want to do it again with some friends!

Opinions vary, but my family has been on both several times, and we'd go again in a heartbeat. Our next trip is aboard the Rhapsody later this year.

The Splendour has been a little varied in service, quality of shows, food and a couple of other items.

First, the dining room is much nicer aboard the Splendour. The windows are two story, floor to ceiling glass. The Rhapsody's dining room has round windows on the first floor. Windows don't serve or cook food, and the Rhapsody is better by a considerable amount.

The theatre is superior aboard the Rhapsody. Climate control varies a great deal on the Splendour as the double glass doors that lead to the Promenade Deck let in more humidity and hot air. One night we needed a sweatshirt and the next night I went back to the cabin and changed to shorts before the show.

If you are a tech geek you will notice a lower standard of theatre lighting, lesser quality sound system, smaller stage, lower ceiling and just a little less polish for the shows. (I do audio and lighting for a large church and know the difference)

As others have posted I am convinced the Rhapsody has the finest crew we've ever had. We sailed the Freedom late last May for a 2 day cruise to nowhere and talked to some of the waiters that came over from her, and they all missed their (and our) favorite ship.

The Splendour is like the Ecstasy (Carnivals 4-5 day ship) that serves the market well for the time it has spent in Galveston. These are the "cash cow" ships for mass market cruises in revenues. They attract a crowd that most often drives to the ports, have a few days off for a vacation and enjoy a cost savings versus a full 7 night cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. (like my family with the college fund!)

Our most recent trip aboard the Splendour was in March 2006 and while we have great friends to travel with it was just not quite what we expected based on the past experiences aboard RCCL.

By now I am sure the ship has changed in quality of service, and perhaps others can give you a different opinion.

Whatever you read, just turn off the cell phone, find a spot in the Solarium and bring some relaxing tunes on your iPod. Makes for a great day for me regardless of the quality of my dinner the night before!

Archived