teenage daughter or mother-in-law???

barbaraanne

I'd take the daughter for sure. The older she gets, the less she'll want to do family vacations.

Just a thought, but why not let her take a girlfriend along? Of course the friend would have to pay for herself but it would be someone for her to hang out with.

You son is outgoing so he'll be able to make friends and have a great time. I doubt there'd be issues with him being in the same room with two teenage girls, sounds like your daughter would keep him in line.

I could not bring my MIL along, although I love her, I couldn't be on a ship with her and not be able to take a break from her if I wanted. Yes, the ship is big enough that you wouldn't have to be around her 100% of the time but just knowing that you'd have to concern yourself with worry that she might not like her "fancy meals" or there could be a competition issue with your dh would be enough info for me to make my mind up.

Good luck! Don't ya hate decisions? lol

Our children were older when we started cruising. If we had been cruising when one of them was 15, there would be no question. The kid goes! My MIL and I get along very well, but neither my DH nor I would be able to cruise with her.

If your MIL is older, I would say take her. Your daughters will have a blast without you. Some of the best times I had with my siblings is when I was all alone with them.

In older parents their health can change so quickly.I am sure that she will do little things that annoy everyone. Just grin and bear it. Laugh it off you are on a cruise! I find that if I have a positive attitude going into a potentially difficult situation it helps me.

Would it be possible to add a friend for your son too? If not, maybe he will meet someone on board.

We cruised on the Triumph in March with a family who had a rather rebellious 16 year old son with them. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with going on that cruise, and ended up having a great time. If she chooses to pout and stay in her room all day, it's her loss. Give her the opportunity and she just may love it!!!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Sounds like they both need to relax, take em both! LOL! No seriously...

If I had to choose 1 I'd say your daughter. I remember being a 15yo girl. Even thought I acted like I hated hanging out with my parents, which I did, I would have felt pretty PO'D if I got left behind from such an awesome vacation. She may act like she is mad about having to go, but wait till she gets there. There would have to be something seriously wrong if she couldn't enjoy herself. A good opportunity for quality family time, and great memories. Even if she won't appreciate them until she is 30. Good luck whatever you decide! Although it would be nice if you could take them both. I love the idea of being able to share my vacation memories with as much of my family as possible. If grandma doesn't like fancy meals, there is always the buffet, or room service, or the deli, or etc etc etc......:)

• 3 weeks later...

To all of you who posted here, thank you!

The decision is final, we leave on 8/21 with our Darling Daughter of course!

Sorry, momma.

And yes, I must say I agree 100% with those of you who said kids these day don't appreciate anything. We give our kids very little in terms of material goods, but do try to take a vacation when we can. But still, I feel a vacation is something very special and to be remembered and appreciated, and hopefully DD will come out of her clamshell and enjoy herself!

Will let you all know how it went!

Thanks,

b.

We are talking about taking our 3rd family cruise in Oct. 2005 (too far away!:( ) My DD, who is now 13, is already saying she doesn't want to go. I've got news for her....she's going and I think in the long run she will be glad we are making her go.

Please let us know how the cruise goes. I for one will be very anxious to hear how much fun everyone (especially your DD) has.

Gayle

We're going on a cruise 8/21 with our 14 y/o/s. First thing he said to us when we were booking is, "you can leave me home" - not!

I sat him down and said, "No teenager has ever had long term effects from being with their parents for one week; there are only a few more family vacations together until you go off to college; your girlfriend/friends will still be here when you get back."

Then I went on to say to both my DSs, "You will not ruin our vacation. The theme of this vacation is, and take me very seriously on this, Even If I'm Not Happy, I Will Pretend I Am!" "There will be no p*ss*ng or moaning AT ALL!" "You WILL have fun or at least pretend you are for mom and dad's sake!" "There will be pleanty of time for your teenage misery when we get back."

This has actually worked for us. Knowing that he has no choice but to have fun, his outlook has changed. He's actually talking about things he would like to do onboard.

Or could it be that we haven't taken him school shopping yet; the difference between the "cool" clothes/sneakers and the cheap ones??? Guess we'll never know.....

Archived