Alaska / Victoria tours

rfbdorf

We're booked for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise in June, and have questions about accessibility in Ketchikan and Victoria.

1. HAL says that the Saxman native village tour in Ketchikan is wheelchair accessible with an assistant. Anyone know if that's just covering their rears, that is, is there any reason that someone in a powerchair could not manage it on their own?

2. Does anyone know if the Butchart Gardens tour in Victoria is accessible?

I've emailed HAL these questions, but expect that I'll get better answers here!

Thanks

- Richard

We're booked for the Oosterdam Alaska cruise in June, and have questions about accessibility in Ketchikan and Victoria.

1. HAL says that the Saxman native village tour in Ketchikan is wheelchair accessible with an assistant. Anyone know if that's just covering their rears, that is, is there any reason that someone in a powerchair could not manage it on their own?

2. Does anyone know if the Butchart Gardens tour in Victoria is accessible?

I've emailed HAL these questions, but expect that I'll get better answers here!

Thanks

- Richard

There are parts of Saxman that aren't accessible and parts that have steep slopes, but for the most part you can pretty much see it, al;though don't expect to be able to access every part of it.

Yes, Butchart Gardens is accessible. It's very pleasant. Be aware, some trails aren't accessible, but most of it is and the non-accessible trails are marked in the brochure. I think it's a great place.

Candy

Thanks, Candy. We're looking for something for my wife to do while I'm in a floatplane in Ketchikan, and Saxman seems to be the best bet. She has always wanted to see Butchart Gardens.

Now I'm deciding what to do in Sitka while she languishes on board the O'dam in her powerchair.

- Richard

I really liked the Alaska Raptor Center in Sitka. Actually if she can manage in a manual wheelchair for the day, she can probably join you as it's nicely accessible. A great opportunity to get a close look at a Bald Eagle.

Make sure they have accessible transportation to the gardens and Saxman, as if you don't specify lift-equipped bus, the assume you can walk and stow your chair under the bus. And note that you may end up tendering at Ketchikan, even though it's not a scheduled tender port. This happens every now and then due to traffic.

Candy

Archived