Mini Suite on SUN

E&D_in_AR

We just got a call for an upgrade from a Balcony to a Mini Suite for $300. It would be $1200 to book it now up from what we paid, so this looks like a pretty good deal (although if we had booked it several months ago it probably would have been only about $500--$600 more, still a savings)

My question--those who have had both or a suite, is it worth it? Why is a suite that much better. I'm thinking the bathtub alone might be it (I take a soak almost every night) but what are your thoughts? Also, do you use the Concierge services? Should I really take advantage of that?

All advice welcome. Thanks! :)

One of the nice things about getting a mini suite is priority embarkation.

The room itself is larger and the bathrooms are REALLY nice! They're almost a mini-suite unto themselves.

The mini-suites on the Sun are all located on Deck 11. The spa and gym are convenient for you and so is the pool area. The cafes, sports bar, and a few of the pay restaurants are also located very near you. The main dining rooms are a few decks down and require that you take the elevator.

If I got a deal like you did, I'd go for the mini-suite. :D

Be careful the last time we had a standard balcony cabin was about 3 or 4 cruises ago. Now its only suites. Some days I wish I could go back.

Maybe a 12 step program..

Take the upsell and join the addiction..

mpk

We were in a Penthouse on the Sun in September. We didn't get priority disembarkation - had to wait through the cattle call with everyone else, which I thought was odd.

We met a couple that was in a mini-suite on this sailing. Other than having a larger bathroom (with a tub vs. a shower) than a balcony room, I didn't see much difference even though the room square footage is slightly larger. Sitting area in the bathroom? We had one in the Penthouse, but I didn't see one in the mini-suite. I could be wrong though.

We're in a aft balcony on the Sun to Hawaii in Sept. It would be nice to move to a mini suite, but the Penthouse was too large for us.

Linda,

When I talked to an NCL agent, she told me that mini suites did not get priority embarkation. You had it on your cruise? I sure hope that woman was wrong!

The last time I was on the Sun, I noticed that category AE cabins had priority embarkation. This stuck out in my mind because the first time I cruised on the Sun I was in an AE cabin and just got on line with everyone else. Didn't realize there was such an area for people in suites.

The last time I was on the Sun we were in an AD cabin and this time I was smarter: I had read up on priority embarkation here at Cruise Ciritc and this time we got in the correct line. At the priority embarkation line there was a sign that listed all the cabin categories that were eligible and AE was included. I remember this because I clearly remember thinking "Oh sh:eek:t, we could have done this the last time!"

I also had an offer of a paid upgrade from a BA to a mini this week for $320. I turned it down. I have one of the BA cabins on the front of the ship with the larger deck and didn't want to give that up. I made my mind up back in August after seeing Linda's pictures and her saying it's not tooooooo windy up there. Thanks again Linda.

The last time I was on the Sun, I noticed that category AE cabins had priority embarkation. This stuck out in my mind because the first time I cruised on the Sun I was in an AE cabin and just got on line with everyone else. Didn't realize there was such an area for people in suites.

The last time I was on the Sun we were in an AD cabin and this time I was smarter: I had read up on priority embarkation here at Cruise Ciritc and this time we got in the correct line. At the priority embarkation line there was a sign that listed all the cabin categories that were eligible and AE was included. I remember this because I clearly remember thinking "Oh sh:eek:t, we could have done this the last time!"

Well, that explains it. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was odd that we had priority embarkation but not disembarkation.

I'll pay more attention next time ;)

I also had an offer of a paid upgrade from a BA to a mini this week for $320. I turned it down. I have one of the BA cabins on the front of the ship with the larger deck and didn't want to give that up. I made my mind up back in August after seeing Linda's pictures and her saying it's not tooooooo windy up there. Thanks again Linda.

We are in the BA cabin on the Sun's pool deck also.Do not think the mini is much bigger.From the picture the room looks to be the same size including the balcony.Let me know if I am incorrect.:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. The booking is official and I actually saved $1,300 since it would have been $800 more per person. I'm so excited! :p

We are in the BA cabin on the Sun's pool deck also.Do not think the mini is much bigger.From the picture the room looks to be the same size including the balcony.Let me know if I am incorrect.:)

From the room description it says that the AE cabins are 100 square feet more than the BA cabins. Might not be much in actual feet, but it makes it 30% bigger.

We are in the BA cabin on the Sun's pool deck also. Do not think the mini is much bigger. From the picture the room looks to be the same size including the balcony. Let me know if I am incorrect.:)

The balconies on the port and starboard sides are probably comparable in depth, but I think that the mini-suite balconies may be slightly wider than the BA's.

The BA's and mini-suites on forward side of the ship are larger than their port/starboard counterparts. Their balconies are considerably larger.

Port/Starboard

BA Cabin: 172 sq. ft.

Balcony: 48 sq. ft.

AE Mini Suite: 274 sq. ft.

Balcony: 48 sq. ft.

Forward (Deck 11 only)

BA Cabins 1202 and 1002: 215 sq. ft.

Balcony: 93 sq. ft.

AE Mini Suites 1201 and 1001: 301 sq. ft.

Balcony: 86 sq. ft.

Is it worth the upgrade? IMHO, yes! :D

Archived