Help with Barbados

Mitzi_Muffin

Best of Barbados & Heritage Rum Distillery

I have tried to get information off the Barbados pages but no one as replied.

Has anyone done this tour we will be visiting Barbados in March 2007 with Celebrity Constellation we want to do half a day touring the Island then spend the afternoon on a beach the tour price with Celebrity seems reasonable any help would be appreciated.

Mitzi

While I have not done this tour, Boatyard beach is amazing and cost far less than paying through the ship. Boatyard beach cost $12 per person, but you get an awesome beach, banana boat rides, other water sport activities, a beach chair, and two drinks. It's about a 15 minute ride from the peir. It's a great family beach.

We just got a cab when we got off and asked for a nice tour. We had been there before but the couple we were traveling with hadn't. The driver gave us a very nice tour and then dropped us at the beach and we prearranged a time for him to pick us up. I believe he charged about $15 a person for the tour which last about 3 hours and the price included picking us back up at the beach.

This was a couple of years ago, but was given advice for touring in Barbados and glad we heeded this good advice. My boss is from Barbados so gave us the scoop for touring this island. We went to the visitor's bureau to find out what is a reasonable price to be charged for a tour to the Harrison Caves (by the way....well worth a day in Barbados...although will take most of your day). The visitor's bureau is located in the shops at the pier where you get off the boat. We were told how much we should expect to be charged for a ride out to the caves and warned that the cab drivers might try the bait and switch...which they did on cue. We bargained for the price (a fair price) to get to the caves. The cab driver agreed and we entered the cab. He was a bit irritated we did our homework, but did agree on the price. He drove down the driveway and had us switch cabs...with a cab driver that was going to charge us more...again, said we had no problem getting out to negotiate for a fair price. He said, just get in the cab....we refused until we agreed on the same price that the visitor's bureau said was fair. Wish we wouldn't have gotten in that cab...although, getting the agreed upon price, you could tell the cab driver was just irritated that he couldn't take advantage of us....just an uncomfortable ride out and back. I know the people have less money than we might have, but felt as though they were trying to take advantage of us with the old bait and switch. Not a friendly island as they might tout....but worth seeing....just watch your wallet.

Archived