Experiences Transferring a Booking??

Catrin

Hi Everyone,

We booked our cruise through Carnival for the first time this year. We got a past guest discount and have actually had two price adjustments totaling $210.00 since we booked.

For the fun of it, I went to Cruise Compete and got two quotes that would save me another $120.00.

I called Carnival to see if they could match the quotes - and they would not. The PVP was actually pretty rude to me and told me just to transfer the booking! Why wouldn't THEY want to keep my business directly??

Anyway.. could you please share any experiences transfering a booking?? Is it worth it to transfer to an online agency you may not have heard of??

Any experiences from Cruise Compete agencies? (and I know you cannot name them).

I am just wondering if $120.00 is worth the risk.

Thanks,

Catrin

Cruise compete consists of many unexperienced (not all) home based agents that will sell a cruise at a loss (for whatever reason, I don't know). If Carnival won't even sell their own cruise at that price, why would anyone else? One thing to watch, be sure the cruise compete quotes include the taxes. Do any of the other large online agencies come close to what cc gave you? If not, ask yourself why. If it sounds to good to be true.....

Also, make sure about their penalties for canceling in case you have to for any reason. Our upcoming cruise in Feb. was done on *****. So far, no problems. Received my documents this week but if I would have wanted to change anything it is a hassle I think. You have to contact them, then thye have to contact the cruise agency because Carnival will not talk to you only your ta.

I too just booked another cruise for 08 and got a better price on *****, but just booked through Carnival. I like being able to call and talk to anyone in case my pvp is not available. Also the price has dropped already and it took me 5 mins. to get it!!! Good Luck--just make sure you check out all the hidden cost!!

Cruise compete consists of many unexperienced (not all) home based agents that will sell a cruise at a loss (for whatever reason, I don't know). If Carnival won't even sell their own cruise at that price, why would anyone else? One thing to watch, be sure the cruise compete quotes include the taxes. Do any of the other large online agencies come close to what cc gave you? If not, ask yourself why. If it sounds to good to be true.....

Have you personally used every agent that deals with *****? If not how can you make a statement like that?

My agent deals with ***** and has been in business for many years with an office and everything. I didn't even know that until this year although I have dealt with her for the last 4 years.

Those agents are giving cheaper prices by rebating some of their commission.

They still make money. Who can stay in business selling cruises at a loss?

Call or email some online agencies for quotes as they can't advertise lower prices online.

Bill

Have you personally used every agent that deals with *****? If not how can you make a statement like that?

My agent deals with ***** and has been in business for many years with an office and everything. I didn't even know that until this year although I have dealt with her for the last 4 years.

Those agents are giving cheaper prices by rebating some of their commission.

They still make money. Who can stay in business selling cruises at a loss?

Call or email some online agencies for quotes as they can't advertise lower prices online.

Bill

If you reread my post it states NOT all agents. and yes, I have checked thoroughly into the company because as an agent I was interested in joining. I spoke with many many agents that are a part of cc. and many were leaving because they were not making any money. The reason for my post was to let the op know to be careful. That was a huge difference. This was not meant specifically against cc..they do have good agents also..it is indicative of the travel business now that you need to know, or feel comfortable with who you are dealing with. I'm very glad you have any agent you like...she is lucky to have a customer like you who cares also.

Hi Everyone,

We booked our cruise through Carnival for the first time this year. We got a past guest discount and have actually had two price adjustments totaling $210.00 since we booked.

For the fun of it, I went to Cruise Compete and got two quotes that would save me another $120.00.

I called Carnival to see if they could match the quotes - and they would not. The PVP was actually pretty rude to me and told me just to transfer the booking! Why wouldn't THEY want to keep my business directly??

Anyway.. could you please share any experiences transfering a booking?? Is it worth it to transfer to an online agency you may not have heard of??

Any experiences from Cruise Compete agencies? (and I know you cannot name them).

I am just wondering if $120.00 is worth the risk.

Thanks,

Catrin

This is EXACTLY what happened to us. We booked through carnival, than found another rate better from Travelocity. So I called, they did all the leg work, and here we are getting a much better deal, and leaving in a couple days. From what I have seen as I am researching prices from our next cruise, carnivals rates are more expensive than travelocity, and other places, in general. Now this may not be the case for every ship, but usually carnival sells thesepackages to TA and they price is depending how much up charge they do. At least that is what I was always told.

But just think thats $120 more for drinks!!!! SO I would change.

What about the opposite scenario? I booked our first cruise today (Yippee!) with a Cruise Compete agent because they were lower than Carnival. Now if I am dissatisfied at some point, would I be able to transfer the booking to a PVP at Carnival?

What about the opposite scenario? I booked our first cruise today (Yippee!) with a Cruise Compete agent because they were lower than Carnival. Now if I am dissatisfied at some point, would I be able to transfer the booking to a PVP at Carnival?

Nearly impossible, the TA would have to agree to the transfer. Since they would lose the commision, they arent going to let you out that easily. Hopefully, you wont have any problems with your TA.

Guess it depends on what it is worth to you, to deal with a company you know nothing about, have had no dealings with, for what, $60pp?? You have to weigh the risks yourself... do research on the company you are booking with... can you call them on the phone? What's their rating? How is their BBB standing? What are their cancellation/change policy?? Do your homework. Does the price include all taxes, etc. For me... I would gladly pay an extra $60 to deal with someone I trust... I probably wouldn't go much higher :p LOL But for me, price is not always my determining factor... not everyone feels the same. Good luck!

We are taking our 5th cruise since 2004. The first two cruises we booked directly with Carnival, not the same PVP, the booking was great and so were the cruises. The next cruise was on Celebrity, I knew someone that had an agency here in my hometown and I thought let me give him the commission. Unfortunately it was a horrible experience, so I did not go back to him. On our Princess cruise I decided to check out cruise compete and picked an agent who was not the cheapest, but picked him on his BBB standings and other cruisers reviews. We were lucky ~ this TA has been awesome. He listens, he recommends, but ultimately we decide and any question I have he emails me right back. I booked our upcoming Destiny cruise with him too.

Like someone said do check the agencies out ~

Els

Archived