Ocho Rios and Cozumel with teens

Famof6

In Ocho Rios we booked with Phil Lafayette and did his tour including the White River - intertubing down it and the Dunn's River Falls climb. It was very fun. Phil is a great guide - he tells you about the area and sings some songs -- it's a great deal. I think teens would love it!!

In Cozumel - we actually booked thru the cruise line and took the tour to Xel-hal. The ferry picks you up onboard the ship and takes you over to Playa del Carmen -- from there you board the bus that takes you to the park. There is awesome snorkeling - with amazing fish. You can also swim with the dolphins and eat some delicious lunch!

Have fun!

Just got back from Ocho and Cozumel with my wife and 3 teen boys (Rhapsody Jan 7-14). In Ocho I HIGHLY recommend you contact Marva Shaw (knowjamaica.com) and use her as your guide. We have used Marva twice now and consider almost like family. She will take care of you and your kids will love her. (My boys paid her the ulitmate compliment .... "Marva's COOL"! She took us to Dunns River Falls, tubing down the White River, to lunch at her favorite jerk chicken place, and toured through Fern Gully. She recommended shopping areas for us and got us back exactly on time. I can't speak highly enough about her.

In Coz, go to Playa Mia beach. For a reasonable cab ride and entrance fee you have a FABULOUS white sand beach with wonderful water, free beach chairs and water toys, a water trampoline, pool, showers, rock climbing in the water, lunch buffet and drinks. It is a great way to spend the day. RCL offers an all inclusive excursion or you can go on your own.

Have fun!

hc

If your teens are adventurous, I highly recommend the "Original Canopy Tour". We took it on our Jan 7-14 Rhapsody cruise and loved it. You are put in a rock climbing type harness, helmet, and gloves and "zip line" from tree to tree. Spectacular views, great staff, wonderful photos.

Another vote for the canopy tour. Here is a picture of my 14 year old son on the tour: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2148400800051639614gOVZPe As you can see, he's having a great time! The tour guides were great and he was a "favorite" amongst them. They treated him like an old friend and gave him the nickname "Afro" (due, of course, to his big afro hair). He said that was the best tour he's ever done (this was his 4th cruise with me.)

In Cozumel, we did a power snorkel. This is where you do a snorkel while using hand-held powered things that pull you through the water. There's one listed through RCI, but we did it independently with a snorkel company. I'm glad we did, because we ended up being the only two people on the tour! http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2413705440051639614zOfkdp So not only was it cheaper than the RCI tour, but we basically got a private snorkel tour. He enjoyed that too.

• 4 months later...

Be prepared! In both Cozumel and Ocho's your teenage sons will be approached by pimps offering prostitution and drugs for sale. Just say no and keep walking.

Archived